Using ND Filters on Mavic Mini
2930 24 2020-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NatureDigital
Second Officer
Flight distance : 373002 ft
United States

In the U.S. the weight limit before registering is 250g. With only one gram to spare does it mean I have to register my Mavic Mini if it has an ND filter on it?
2020-5-27
Use props
TDZHDTV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

My Sunnylife filter doesn’t even show as an increase
2020-5-27
Use props
ThalisGr
lvl.4
United Kingdom

With my Skyreat filters is between 249 and 250...so it is within my scale's tolerance...most of the times it says 250...sometimes 249 :-)
I think you can safely keep it unregistered
2020-5-27
Use props
deathsquad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Most are very light anyway. But if it weighs more than 250g with the filter on it you know the answer.
2020-5-27
Use props
NatureDigital
Second Officer
United States

TDZHDTV Posted at 5-27 11:58
My Sunnylife filter doesn’t even show as an increase

Ok, thanks so much for the help!
2020-5-27
Use props
NatureDigital
Second Officer
United States

ThalisGr Posted at 5-27 12:08
With my Skyreat filters is between 249 and 250...so it is within my scale's tolerance...most of the times it says 250...sometimes 249 :-)
I think you can safely keep it unregistered

ok, thanks so much!
2020-5-27
Use props
NatureDigital
Second Officer
United States

deathsquad Posted at 5-27 12:33
Most are very light anyway. But if it weighs more than 250g with the filter on it you know the answer.

ok, thanks!
2020-5-27
Use props
thE29
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14094 ft
Austria

Most are very light anyway. But if it weighs more than 250g with the filter on it you know the answer.

Yeah, only ND32 and ND64 could be a problem.. At least it was for some companies, which resulted in a not working Gimbal anymore (you can see such videos in amazon reviews).
2020-5-28
Use props
Balooo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 124019 ft
Italy

Well, to be precise, in Italy and France, at least, it's from 250g not over.. So if the balance shows 250g or more you need a license
2020-5-28
Use props
NatureDigital
Second Officer
United States

Balooo Posted at 5-28 06:00
Well, to be precise, in Italy and France, at least, it's from 250g not over.. So if the balance shows 250g or more you need a license

ok, thanks for the help!
2020-5-29
Use props
NatureDigital
Second Officer
United States

stephjant Posted at 5-29 03:32
As an aside, why would you want to risk using an ND filter at all?  According to DJI Support the Mavic Mini is NOT compatible with ND filters and any damage to the either the lens or gimbal caused by the ND filter will void the warranty

Oh, I never saw that. Is it covered by the DJI care refresh?
2020-5-29
Use props
NatureDigital
Second Officer
United States

stephjant Posted at 5-29 12:28
No, the DJI refresh doesn't cover problems excluded from the warranty.  What did you expect?

I'm not sure, sorry
2020-5-29
Use props
sbonev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

stephjant Posted at 5-29 12:28
No, the DJI refresh doesn't cover problems excluded from the warranty.  What did you expect?

how exactly will they identify problem caused by nd filter, please enlighten us???? and how is the mini incompatible if they fit just perfectly?
2020-5-29
Use props
sbonev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

stephjant Posted at 5-30 01:58
I think the point DJI is making is that whilst 3rd party filters physically fit the Mavic Mini they may cause the gimbal to overload and stop functioning.  Its no surprise therefore that DJI don't sell their own ND filters for the Mavic Mini.  I specifically asked DJI the question because I'm thinking of buying the new Mavic Air 2.  DJI sell ND filters for this drone and so I wanted to check if it was OK  to use 3rd party filters for the Mavic Mini and they said they were not compatible - which I took as a no, so I wont be buying any filters for my MM.  However, they did say the Mavic Air 2 gimbal was designed to be able to take the weight of ND filters without any problems

i have nd filters and zero issues...my question again - how exactly will they void the warranty(as stated by you)? to be more precise, how do you imagine DJI would assess that your use of nd filters broke your drone for example? Especially if you have care refresh...
2020-5-30
Use props
ThalisGr
lvl.4
United Kingdom

sbonev Posted at 5-30 02:38
i have nd filters and zero issues...my question again - how exactly will they void the warranty(as stated by you)? to be more precise, how do you imagine DJI would assess that your use of nd filters broke your drone for example? Especially if you have care refresh...

I cannot see either how the gimbal can be affected if you attach to it something that weight 1gr or less. The weight is really minimum. DJI may not recommend filters for Mini for their reasons of course
2020-5-30
Use props
Balooo
lvl.3
France

Same regulation in France and Italy.. Considering all you can add to the drone (propellers protections, lights, landing gear extensions, stickers..) and in order to learn more about laws/regulations, I registered it and passed the online test (easy), sticked a qr-code on it. Next step, from July, 1st, 2020 we should even add a transponder (ads-b in, at least..from what I've read) ^^ May be post-poned to January, 1st, 2021 (thanx to covid-19)

This sets me free for future mods (even if I upgrade to a bigger drone)

2020-6-2
Use props
Francoisd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 66352 ft
France

Balooo Posted at 6-2 02:51
Same regulation in France and Italy.. Considering all you can add to the drone (propellers protections, lights, landing gear extensions, stickers..) and in order to learn more about laws/regulations, I registered it and passed the online test (easy), sticked a qr-code on it. Next step, from July, 1st, 2020 we should even add a transponder (ads-b in, at least..from what I've read) ^^ May be post-poned to January, 1st, 2021 (thanx to covid-19)

This sets me free for future mods (even if I upgrade to a bigger drone)

In french law, on a Mavic Mini, you won't have to add a transponder because it is under 800 gr  (and in the futur european law, it will be the same, a drone under 250 would only have to be registered on alphatango (for France).
I guess the MM would be able to send it's flying parameters after a firmware update but it will not be necessary.
If you add features on your MM, it will be more than 250g but lighter than 900g (for futur european law) and it would have to send it's information (like a transponder) but I don't think DJI would add this feature because they don't recommend adding extensions, filters and so on.
2020-6-2
Use props
3Recon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4175541 ft
United States

Since DJI did not make ND filters for their Mini or sell an addon filter for it. I assume this is mostly because this is a entry level drone and not wanting to have an over lap of features with the Air and Air2. We've all noticed with the growing feature request list IMO I fill using filters isn't the weight as much a the handling of the Gimbal installing and removing a filter. Improving videos and photos at such a small output amount  for better enjoyment to share. Any dry eyes in the gallery.
My Skyreat ND filters as seen on Y tube come in at 1gram.
Up up and away (all time super hero
2020-6-2
Use props
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

3Recon Posted at 6-2 13:11
Since DJI did not make ND filters for their Mini or sell an addon filter for it. I assume this is mostly because this is a entry level drone and not wanting to have an over lap of features with the Air and Air2. We've all noticed with the growing feature request list  IMO I fill using filters isn't the weight as much a the handling of the Gimbal installing and removing a filter. Improving videos and photos at such a small output amount  for better enjoyment to share. Any dry eyes in the gallery.  
My Skyreat ND filters as seen on Y tube come in at 1gram.
Up up and away (all time super hero

DJI don't make ND filters. All of them for their other drones are third party also.
2020-6-2
Use props
3Recon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4175541 ft
United States

22340179 Posted at 6-2 13:16
DJI don't make ND filters. All of them for their other drones are third party also.

May have miss spoken but, don't filters come with the new Mavic Air 2 fly more packaging? put together by DJI
I haven't purchased the Air 2 all I've seen is what's included n kit.
2020-6-2
Use props
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

3Recon Posted at 6-2 13:27
May have miss spoken but, don't filters come with the new Mavic Air 2 fly more packaging? put together by DJI
I haven't purchased the Air 2 all I've seen is what's included n kit.

Yes, that's true.
2020-6-2
Use props
Balooo
lvl.3
Italy

Francoisd Posted at 6-2 07:39
In french law, on a Mavic Mini, you won't have to add a transponder because it is under 800 gr  (and in the futur european law, it will be the same, a drone under 250 would only have to be registered on alphatango (for France).
I guess the MM would be able to send it's flying parameters after a firmware update but it will not be necessary.
If you add features on your MM, it will be more than 250g but lighter than 900g (for futur european law) and it would have to send it's information (like a transponder) but I don't think DJI would add this feature because they don't recommend adding extensions, filters and so on.

If I follow you, DJI should not be selling propellers protection..^^
Since they sell it they should allow us to be legit with the new european regulation, when flying above 250g..
Second point, from what I've read, DJI implementation won't be legit, we'll need to add ads-b transponder, at least in Italy
2020-6-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules