Is my Mavic Air 2 Faulty?
547 6 2020-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 622575 ft
United States

My main concern comes from the fact that the gimbal sometimes tilts up super slowly without any user input on the gimbal wheel. I've calibrated the gimbal wheel multiple times since that usually solves the problem, but nope. Every time I fly, it always slowly tilts up sometimes.

The second concern is that the MA2 isn't that stable in the air. It might just be me pushing the drone too much though. I'm trying to take long shutter speed pictures where the shutter is open for 4-8 seconds, and every picture has turned out somewhat blurry so far. I'm thinking that it's just got to do with how windy it is, but I had no problem taking 3 second shutter pictures on my Mavic Mini. I would expect the MA2 to be able to handle 4 second + shutters. I do put the drone into tripod mode and it has not helped that much...

Thoughts?

2020-5-27
Use props
Pilot.Isaac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 220554 ft
United States

Have you tried any other calibration such as compass?
2020-5-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

The gimbal should not tilt up on its own, it tilts down when taking off in sport and this is the only time it should tilt on its own.

Regarding long exposures, I have on many occasions shot long exposures, I would say for 1/2 seconds I get 1/2 good exposures per 20, going up to 3/4 this could be 1/2 every 40 exposures and it grows like that.
Of course shelter from the wind and no wind help greatly, but strong wind will seriously make things difficult. So not sure if this helps with working out if you do have a problem.

With the first one I would try get some footage of this happening, or if your happy it is then start a case.
2020-5-28
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

Pilot.Isaac Posted at 5-27 22:07
Have you tried any other calibration such as compass?

I've done a compass calibration, but not an IMU calibration. I guess I'll give that a shot
2020-5-28
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-28 03:07
The gimbal should not tilt up on its own, it tilts down when taking off in sport and this is the only time it should tilt on its own.

Regarding long exposures, I have on many occasions shot long exposures, I would say for 1/2 seconds I get 1/2 good exposures per 20, going up to 3/4 this could be 1/2 every 40 exposures and it grows like that.

I'll definitely monitor the first issue further! The gimbal pitches super slowly upwards have a turn left or right sometimes. Thank you.
2020-5-28
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 380978 ft
United Kingdom

ICDroneSE Posted at 5-28 08:06
I've done a compass calibration, but not an IMU calibration. I guess I'll give that a shot

You could do a static bench test for a long exposure shot and see how that comes out this would demonstrate any gimbal movement against a static bench line or similar but I would agree with what Hallmark has already stated regarding wind, sheltering etc. when out flying.
2020-5-28
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

BaynhamPhoto Posted at 5-28 08:14
You could do a static bench test for a long exposure shot and see how that comes out this would demonstrate any gimbal movement against a static bench line or similar but I would agree with what Hallmark has already stated regarding wind, sheltering etc. when out flying.

Did a static bench test on the long exposure and it came out good! As for the gimbal pitching up, it seems to only occur when I pan left or right in sport mode while tilting the gimbal up using the gimbal wheel. After i let go of the pan and gimbal wheel, the gimbal slowly continues tilting up.
2020-5-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules