MAVIC MINI FPV
3922 22 2020-5-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
J. MARC FILMS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 462142 ft
United States

I can confirm that the best fpv goggles experience for the Mavic Mini currently (until SDK is supported, and even then probably) is with the bluetooth dongle system.
What you need is goggles (Yuneec Skyview, any DJI goggles, fatshark), a miracast dongle, a powerbank, and an hdmi female-female adapter. See video and video description for setup. I have another video (below) for flying with a newer tablet (with hdmi out), which is an improvement on the nvidia tablet and possibly Crystal Sky. But that system has more lag. The dongle setup has the lowest latency and actually allows fpv flying, as future videos will show. Thoughts, comments?

Bluetooth Dongle System (best system for latency, portability, and cost):

ALTERNATE SOLUTIONS and tested ideas (did not work or not as good): -android tablet with hdmi out to goggles -->greater latency, less portable, more costly if you already fly with a phone
-attach an fpv camera module to mavic mini, fly w analog goggles-->terrible quality, better to use the drone's own camera system rather than buying a module that is not intuitive, portable, or integrated
-download the emulator BlueStacks on your PC & download DJI Fly-->no DJI Fly app available, also wouldn't work anyways
-attach the Insta360 camera to mavic mini -->interferes with IMU compass & with GPS, would need 2 devices to fly
-using a splitter, split signal from phone to goggles and remote with an hdmi adapter -->not possible, does not split signal
-using a splitter, split signal from remote to phone and goggles-->also not possible, does not work with any (cheap, expensive) hdmi adapter
-gopro app and attach gopro hero 5 session-->too much lag with app, range issue
-use litchi with mavic mini-->SDK not yet available from DJI to use officially with 3rd party apps
-buy $125 DJI hdmi module-->does not work, too expensive anyways, risky might ruin drone system
-put your phone into a VR headset-->cannot touch the screen, do quickshots, etc.
-use one lens fpv goggles-->defeats purpose, same as VR
-IPad Pro--> one port, so even with adapter the 2 signals to remote and goggles are in different modes, so cannot send both at the same time
-higher RAM tablet (Teclast M16) than the Winnovo T10 tablet-->no difference in transmission as expected
OTHER SETUPS THAT WORK:
-use DJI Goggles with mavic mini same as the skyview goggles
-Ipad with miracast dongleSamsung tablet with miracast
-use fatshark goggles
-use DJI Racing Edition Goggles
-fly phantom drones with goggles (controller hdmi port shown in a DJI official video)

Tablet system (for those who don't already fly with their phone or who just want a larger screen):

2020-5-28
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's a very creative idea. Flying with goggles is a blast.
2020-5-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks good.
2020-5-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks good.
2020-5-29
Use props
thE29
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14094 ft
Germany

Your post is kinda confusing.. So what is the fastest way? Tablet with HDMI out? From your writing, it seems the tablet with HDMI has more lag than convertiing the signal to miracast and retrieving it at the goggles?
But nice solutions
2020-5-29
Use props
J. MARC FILMS
lvl.3
United States

thE29 Posted at 5-29 00:45
Your post is kinda confusing.. So what is the fastest way? Tablet with HDMI out? From your writing, it seems the tablet with HDMI has more lag than convertiing the signal to miracast and retrieving it at the goggles?
But nice solutions

The dongle system is the fastest (less lag) and cheapest way. The tablet with hdmi out system is a system I previously put out that is useful but not as good. It is what anyone who hadn't seen my videos would tell me is another solution. I am stating that I have tested both, and the dongle system is better by far. I was actually surprised, expecting a direct connection to the goggles from the tablet to have lower latency, but the best setup is to use miracast with the dongle.  
2020-5-29
Use props
thE29
lvl.3
Germany

J. MARC FILMS Posted at 5-29 07:00
The dongle system is the fastest (less lag) and cheapest way. The tablet with hdmi out system is a system I previously put out that is useful but not as good. It is what anyone who hadn't seen my videos would tell me is another solution. I am stating that I have tested both, and the dongle system is better by far. I was actually surprised, expecting a direct connection to the goggles from the tablet to have lower latency, but the best setup is to use miracast with the dongle.

Yeah, I am also surprised that wireless image transfer is faster than a direct cable..

But then again, what for a Tablet is that? Maybe your phone is just way better/faster than the Tablet?

Can you try the Miracast solution with the tablet too? So that we can be 4 sure, its not the tablets fault to begin with.
2020-5-29
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

thE29 Posted at 5-29 08:16
Yeah, I am also surprised that wireless image transfer is faster than a direct cable..

I agree I think it's the limitations of the tablet and not the method of sending video.

I have a Philips usb-c to hdmi that I use with my S9 and when I screen share I have the same responsiveness on the tv/monitor as I do on my phone. I know there's usb-c splitter and even hubs that have hdmi out and another usb slot to connect a keyboard/mouse so there could be hope of using one of those as a way to connect the controller to the phone and still screen share over hdmi to a tv/goggles.

I might try this sooner then later.

2020-5-29
Use props
J. MARC FILMS
lvl.3
United States

thE29 Posted at 5-29 08:16

I first used the Winnovo T10 tablet ($110, 3GB RAM) and then the Teclast M16 tablet ($180, 4GB RAM). Anything higher with hdmi is a Windows tablet-pc or a pc (doesn't have google play).  Both tablets have micro hdmi ports. There was noticeable lag just flying the mavic mini with both of them, without goggles.  There is no noticeable lag just flying with my S8.

If you want to fly without lag on a tablet, you should go with an Ipad and the miracast dongle.  
2020-5-29
Use props
thE29
lvl.3
Austria

J. MARC FILMS Posted at 5-29 09:19
I first used the Winnovo T10 tablet ($110, 3GB RAM) and then the Teclast M16 tablet ($180, 4GB RAM). Anything higher with hdmi is a Windows tablet-pc or a pc (doesn't have google play).  Both tablets have micro hdmi ports. There was noticeable lag just flying the mavic mini with both of them, without goggles.  There is no noticeable lag just flying with my S8.

If you want to fly without lag on a tablet, you should go with an Ipad and the miracast dongle.

I have a company Tab S4.. It supports HDMI out and should have decent power. But I lack any FPV goggles to test it.. :/
2020-5-29
Use props
J. MARC FILMS
lvl.3
United States

thE29 Posted at 5-29 10:01
I have a company Tab S4.. It supports HDMI out and should have decent power. But I lack any FPV goggles to test it.. :/

How many ports does the Tab S4 have? Does it have an hdmi port or are you saying it will work with an hdmi adapter from the single port?  If it has just one usb c port, then I will tell you that splitting the signal or trying to send 2 different signals from the tablet to the goggles and the remote through an adapter or hub does not work.
2020-5-29
Use props
J. MARC FILMS
lvl.3
United States

ABeardedItalian Posted at 5-29 09:02
I agree I think it's the limitations of the tablet and not the method of sending video.

I have a Philips usb-c to hdmi that I use with my S9 and when I screen share I have the same responsiveness on the tv/monitor as I do on my phone. I know there's usb-c splitter and even hubs that have hdmi out and another usb slot to connect a keyboard/mouse so there could be hope of using one of those as a way to connect the controller to the phone and still screen share over hdmi to a tv/goggles.

That was the first thing I tried. It does not work with an hdmi hub or splitter because the signals are in 2 different modes, it cannot send them both at the same time. I can mirror my S8 screen to the goggles easily enough and watch a movie, but I cannot connect also to my remote and fly my drone at the same time. I tried it with many different hubs but it does not work.
2020-5-29
Use props
J. MARC FILMS
lvl.3
United States

thE29 Posted at 5-29 10:01

But yea miracast will work.
2020-5-29
Use props
thE29
lvl.3
Austria

J. MARC FILMS Posted at 5-29 10:57
How many ports does the Tab S4 have? Does it have an hdmi port or are you saying it will work with an hdmi adapter from the single port?  If it has just one usb c port, then I will tell you that splitting the signal or trying to send 2 different signals from the tablet to the goggles and the remote through an adapter or hub does not work.

Here it says for example, that a screen + mouse + battery should work..

https://www.samsung.com/in/suppo ... -c-to-hdmi-adapter/
That is a 700-800€ device (when it was new).
2020-5-29
Use props
J. MARC FILMS
lvl.3
United States

thE29 Posted at 5-29 11:25
Here it says for example, that a screen + mouse + battery should work..

https://www.samsung.com/in/suppo ... -c-to-hdmi-adapter/

That HDMI adapter can convert from the usb-c to either: usb-c, hdmi, or usb. The problem is that it doesn't work at the same time for two or more signals, plus the picture shows that the left port is for charging, not data transfer. My point is that I would love for the usb-c to hdmi etc hub to work, but it doesn't because it cannot split the signal (same type of signal being used but different modes when connecting between remote and phone and also when connecting between phone and goggles). If it was this simple, that would be great, but I don't know what to tell you, I expected that to work also.
2020-5-29
Use props
J. MARC FILMS
lvl.3
United States

ABeardedItalian Posted at 5-29 09:02

I have a Philips usb-c to hdmi that I use with my S9 and when I screen share I have the same responsiveness on the tv/monitor as I do on my phone. I know there's usb-c splitter and even hubs that have hdmi out and another usb slot to connect a keyboard/mouse so there could be hope of using one of those as a way to connect the controller to the phone and still screen share over hdmi to a tv/goggles.

You are right I think it's the tablet limitations, but I don't know of any higher end tablets that have an hdmi port that aren't windows tablets (no google play store and DJI Fly app). The hdmi splitter/hub is a good idea, but it doesn't seem to work. Feel free to try it and if something works, let us know. There may be a higher end tablet with an hdmi port and that has less lag, but the miracast system with goggles cost me $100 (I bought the goggles for $50) so it is not only the best setup but cheaper if you fly with your S9 already.
2020-5-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very nice video!
2020-6-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

PS, I subscribed to your channel via 2 channels .
Mine are http://www.youtube.com/c/tricksandtip AND
http://www.youtube.com/c/PeterMontfrooij
2020-6-2
Use props
Balooo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 124019 ft
Italy

Wow, great job, I wish I read it a few months ago ;-)
I went on an Ximmerse visor X system:
the advantages: no lag at all, no dongle, no powerbank, very cheap -37€/$,
the inconvenient: the phone is in the headset, so you need a wireless bluetooth gamepad, sticked to the RC, to control the phone screen, 8$/€ more..
2020-6-5
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

J. MARC FILMS Posted at 5-29 09:19

If you want to fly without lag on a tablet, you should go with an Ipad and the miracast dongle.

TECLAST M16 has some ok processor.
Have you tried the latest DJI Fly app on TECLAST M16 lately?
It could have been optimization issue.
I tried the latest Fly app on my old Galaxy Note 5 (its processor is comparable to that of TECLAST M16) and it worked without lag.
Note 5 did not even make it to the official supported devices list either, but it worked just fine.

The miracast dongle uses WiFi and that could potentially interfere with Ocusync when doing long distance flights and so I try to stay away from any wireless video solution.
Also, looking at your youtube video, I think I am seeing some video stuttering when using miracast dongle.

I'm still trying to find a hard-wired solution to this problem.
Finding a decent tablet with HDMI output is the key.
I once considered getting NVIDIA Shield K1 table (works well with the Go app), but that's a 32-bit tablet and the Fly app needs 64-bit I heard and so that's a no go.

2020-12-31
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

J. MARC FILMS Posted at 5-29 12:46
You are right I think it's the tablet limitations, but I don't know of any higher end tablets that have an hdmi port that aren't windows tablets (no google play store and DJI Fly app). The hdmi splitter/hub is a good idea, but it doesn't seem to work. Feel free to try it and if something works, let us know. There may be a higher end tablet with an hdmi port and that has less lag, but the miracast system with goggles cost me $100 (I bought the goggles for $50) so it is not only the best setup but cheaper if you fly with your S9 already.

This guy tested latency on miracast.
It's about 400ms.
That's about 3x that of the Ocusync latency.

2020-12-31
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

I solved this problem.
Now I can fly my Mavic Air 2 wearing DJI Goggles (or any other FPV goggles with a HDMI input) without any lag that might come from using an android tablet with HDMI output or a miracast dongle.
I'm not using DJI Smart Controller either.....couldn't justify spending extra ~$800 just for some FPV experience.

2021-1-3
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

Here is my solution to the problem.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=233756
2021-1-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules