Very hot gimbal during firmware upgrade 1.2.6!
5193 13 2015-6-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
groovy100
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3140876 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

I began updating the firmware on the Phantom to version 1.2.6.
I removed the gimbal clamp, used a Phantom-formatted SD card with the firmware file in the root directory and the upgrade procedure began as normal.

Then, after about 20 minutes, I got a continuous beep instead of the 4 beeps or the beep---beep, beep that would have indicated that the update had finished.

It was at this point when I noticed that the silver disc to the left of the gimbal (as we look towards the camera barrel) as well as the gimbal control unit above it (the one with the in-built fan) were both running very hot. In fact, the silver disc was so hot that I couldn't leave my finger on there.

Is this normal during the update process that the gimbal gets so hot?

I then turned the Phantom off, restarted it and the process failed again.

I then turned it back off and on and on the third attempt it showed me that the Phantom had already been updated.

The Phantom now works well, the gimbal does not overheat and the app shows that I have the latest version.

I am however concerned about the gimbal becoming so hot during the upgrade. Any experience from others on what I am talking about?

Log file pasted below:

Result: Failed.
Reboot the aircraft and try to upgrade the firmware again.

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:13 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: P3X_FW_V01.02.0006.bin

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:14 remo-con disconnect======

Result: Abort.
The firmware on the SD card is identical to or older than the current firmware on the aircraft.

Result: Abort.
The firmware on the SD card is identical to or older than the current firmware on the aircraft.

2015-6-16
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

I noticed that back in May when I first got my Phantom 3 and I spent a considerable amount of time looking around the DJI Pilot app to get familiar with where everything was located.  Autumn sorta responded (Is heat a concern when sitting idle?) but I went ahead and started using a small USB fan to keep the air circulating.
FanForPhantom.JPG
2015-6-16
Use props
groovy100
lvl.3
  • >>>
Sweden

Thanks!

How hot did the gimbal get? Were the metal bits of the gimbal assembly too hot to touch for long periods of time?
2015-6-17
Use props
clkilljoy1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15207 ft
United States

gil Posted at 2015-6-17 09:35
I noticed that back in May when I first got my Phantom 3 and I spent a considerable amount of time l ...

Good to know will keep a fan on my P3p from now on when updating. Excessive heat will fry electronics faster then any thing else. Another little secret that we all should know.
2015-6-17
Use props
groovy100
lvl.3
  • >>>
Sweden

The real question is whether my gimbal getting so hot during the update is normal. If it is, then I would imagine that it is within the tolerance levels of its construction otherwise why would DJI release a firmware update process that cooks their electronic components?

Unless they expect us to do updates while in mid-air :-)
2015-6-17
Use props
gil
Second Officer
United States

groovy100 Posted at 2015-6-17 17:34
Thanks!

How hot did the gimbal get? Were the metal bits of the gimbal assembly too hot to touch for ...

How hot...?  Sheesh, who knows.  I don't have one of those laser thermometer thingies where I could give you an absolute answer in celsius, fahrenheit and kelvin.  I wasn't about to just let it sit there so I could see how hot it might get.  Heat bad, air movement good.  In normal operation the Phantom would have the props spinning to help keep the air flowing.  But, when it's just sitting it gets warm enough that I thought it would be prudent to supplement the movement of air.  And I just happened to already have one of those little USB fans sitting around.  Struck me as one of those "Blinding Flashes of the Obvious (trademark/patent pending)
2015-6-17
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

My advance got hot when I uploaded 1.2.7... Looks to be a problem?

http://forum.dji.com/thread-21650-1-1.html
2015-6-17
Use props
Bratinov
lvl.1

Bulgaria

My gimbal was very hot when the update progress concluded (it was a success). It's never been this hot before.
2015-6-17
Use props
gil
Second Officer
United States

WERAQSi Posted at 2015-6-17 22:21
this hot? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7CuLHsqMG4

Yup, there ya go! I just knew somebody would have one of those gadgets!  (Hey, where's the fahrenheit and kelvin temps?)
2015-6-17
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

groovy100 Posted at 2015-6-17 19:15
The real question is whether my gimbal getting so hot during the update is normal. If it is, then I  ...

Get some moderately long bar clamps (the kind you use to hold glued wood pieces) and clamp your Phantom to a patio table, shelf top, etc. and leave the props on. The cool breeze from the props will help keep your Phantom cool while it's updating.

Either that or you'll end up with a flying table! LOL

I also took my props off for the updates I've done. When I was wading through the menus, cataloguing every command, I had my prop-less Phantom set off to the side. Even without the motors running, it seemed like it got pretty hot - the Gimbal was pretty warm and so was the body of the Phantom, right smack in the middle (obviously where most of the electronics are housed).
2015-6-17
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

If you do not remove the gimbal support (supplied plastic piece for storage/transportation) and you power the P3 (or P2 for that matter) the motors in the gimbal will constantly fight the plastic support and subsequently heat the camera up.  REMOVE THE SUPPORT WHENEVER YOU POWER YOUR PHANTOM.
2015-6-18
Use props
devdavi
lvl.1

United States

The casing is metal and can act as a heat sink, much in the same way Macbook Pro's get super hot with intense use. It's most likely a "feature" to help dissipate heat from the electrical parts, but as a general rule of thumb heat decreases the lifetime of your components. I'd submit something to DJI to get an official response so you have that in writing in case anything fails and they told you not to worry about it, and then use a fan to keep it cool.

I updated to 1.2.8 today and the gimbal got as hot as a cell phone after using an app with 3D graphics or watching a video for a long time. Uncomfortable to hold, but doesn't burn.
2015-6-18
Use props
gil
Second Officer
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-18 09:12
Get some moderately long bar clamps (the kind you use to hold glued wood pieces) and clamp your Ph ...

Seems to me that would contradict the instruction "Ensure the remote controller is powered off".

And I'm pretty sure the motors do have a finite lifespan (can't remember the number of recommended replacement  hours) and all the additional time spent running them just to keep the Phantom cool is just going to accumulate.

Heck, I think I only paid about $15 for my little USB fan.  But hey, if you get that table to take off be sure and get some video!
2015-6-18
Use props
fansb0909c62
New
United States

Just got a refurbished phantom 3 standard, ran the update, played around a bit with the program and same thing. Very hot gimbal.

I have a 3 axis gimbal that I programmed for another drone, it never ever gets even close to this hot and I have it tuned as aggressively as possible.

My assumption was there was something wrong with the refurb or this was something unique to this gimbal vs the one. But it sounds like this might be a firmware problem.
2017-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules