M300 smart controller, none LOS set up
4257 7 2020-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
IBV Bob
lvl.3
Flight distance : 123707 ft
Sweden

All in all the m300 looks great and is a step  forward. However, I see some potential issues with the Smart controller  Enterprise:
1. It doesn't seem to have detachable antennas!? So we need to again  crack the shell, drill the plastic,etc...? I expected a more  professional solution for something called "Enterprise version" The  Cendence controller had that option.-

3. the built in screen is (for us specifically) not a good solution at  all. We use a 10,5 inch tablet mounted so that two people can operate  it.- The built in option is a step backwards for us. Please consider to provide aan external touch screen operation.
4. When will dji make a proper windows SDK? -We try to avoid Android and Apple.  We prefer to control from the ground station directly.- was no issue with LOS flights.- It is an issue for none LOS flights. (see further feedback below.)
5. With so many camera options possible: It would be great to have a  monitor for each camera sensor..- Does anybody know what output options  are available? For me it seems strange that there is a controller that  only outputs one signal via HDMI when having 4 sensors capturing data.  At least switchable would be fine as I understand bandwidth is not  unlimited. Anybody knows what is possible? I didn't get a clear answer  from the quick manual. (see further feedback on none LOS control in the list further below)
6. Dji is manufacturing enterprise grade tools.- I wish that they would  open up for an enteprise grade controller and antenna solution. I'm  aware of legal limtiations, etc..  but some more options in terms of  antennas and hardware We will have to take the smart controller apart  and get proper antenna N- female connectors in place. Further I'd like  to upgrade the joysticks to   enterprise grade ones with buttons and  wheels and a button ring around just like standard gaming joysticks  provide these days. This is again for professional none LOS control. Proper gaming stations are a good example of how to set up real time  controlling  UIs. Gamers know how challenging it is to sit and control  for hours per day ;-) With 50 mins flight time and a whole day of  inspections ergonomic design becomes very important. I believe there is  room for improvement for dji or third party gear. (see further feedback below).

Here is further feedback on the smart controller mainly. I didn’t fullly test the HDMI functions yet however.

If I  put the holding straps      correctly then they are exactly in the way to control the joysticks and      also the two buttons next to it. This is really flawed design (sorry). I don’t      understand how this can happen for the professional class drone... or did I toally misunderstood anything here?
  • The design of the controller box itself      is also not very good for larger hands.  You are supposed to be able      to fly more than 30 minutes.- Ergonomy is much more important now than it      was with earlier models flying around 25 minutes.
  • The new EU classes  (“specific”)       allows to fly beyond LOS.  It would be great if DJI adapts      their professional class drones to match “real new world”:
    a) Flying longer missions out of LOS means       you will most likely sit in a chair. – and often indoor (e.g. mobile       office vehicle) to avoid being distracted by noise and dust (construction       missions), confusing light circumstances (blinded by sun), freezing       fingers, etc.. The consequence is that you need an external antenna. I’m       aware of the impact on EIRP but as with cars it’s up to the driver to       keep the speed limit. Further, it doesn’t mean that just by using an       external antenna an increase of EIRP. Low gain omni antennas would be       appropriate then. Solution: provide antenna connectors just like on the Cendence       controller.- if possible even the client to choose the type (RP SMA,       N-type) instead of driving customers into modifying the controllers.

b)The other issue is monitoring the       mission using technical tools rather than  human eyes  requires       a well and flexible arrangement of the data, - spread over various       monitors including back-up.  FPV view becomes much more important       flying out of LOS. see point 4
  • With increasing number of camera sensors      the data produced by the various sensors increases. I’m unaware of how DJI      handles the video downstream in terms of bandwidth handling.- However,      this makes it even more important that the visual real-time output of the      controller(s) is flexible. With the Matrice 300 and H20t camera it would      be great if:

• a) FPV view on the controller’s display       and HDMI output displaying the H20t sensors (switchable just like on the       controller’s screen) without affecting the fpv image.  OSD output       via HDMI to be switchable seperatly.
    • b) FPV view on the controller’s display       and on a larger secondary screen for a co-pilit and  sending the       H20t image(s) via a 2nd HDMI port. – also here OSD switchable.      
    • c) FPV on the HDMI output with OSD and       h20t on the Controller’s screen with switchable OSD.
    • d) Any other combination
      The reason why is simply that if making (e.g.) a environmental survey and the expert is asking to stop so the expert can zoom in to check a certain detail you don’t want to all the time switch screens. This is related to the issue that the Matrice 300 has got no pan-fixed fpv camera that can tilt down to see where you actually are above ground. (important for many different reasons). If you want to check this you have got to “misuse” the gimbal mounted H20 to do the jov that actually the pilot should do.
    • When flying from a control station it      would be much better to have a separate touch screen display that can be      used to control the mission app/pilot app. It’s not really understandable      that a phone size screen should give you full control especially with the      background of outside LOS flights where the main screen becomes so much      more important.
    • Related to 5: When will finally a proper      windows SDK be available in order to fly directly from a proper laptop?      Corporate world is mainly using windows (for good reasons). Every “in and      out” shifting data around should be avoided.
    • What happened really to the “tracktenna”      announced in 2017? Was it an EIRP compliance issue? The tracktenna that was announced in 2017 by Dji never made it  unfortunately.- although now the EU regulations are open for flights  beyond LOS. A pitty because it would have improved flight safety which I  thought is a point for dji

Cheers,
Bob

2020-5-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Bob, we sincerely appreciate your feedback and suggestion to our product, which have been forwarded to our engineers for attention. We will keep improving our products to make you have a better experience, thanks for your support to DJI.
2020-6-12
Use props
IBV Bob
lvl.3
Sweden

Hi there, thanks for your reply. I aprecate that.
2020-6-15
Use props
Sascha.ES
lvl.4
Germany

Hello. I have a video for you of the regular Smart Controller. Maybe you can make your own modification:

DJI writes a lot here when the day is long. Don't count on anything changing.
Unfortunately care & service is not written in capital letters in China. They build good products, but that's it!
2020-6-20
Use props
IBV Bob
lvl.3
Sweden

Thanks. I will perform the modifications today. I will post the results.
2020-7-27
Use props
ronsand
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1007 ft
Norway

IBV Bob Posted at 2020-7-27 01:28
Thanks. I will perform the modifications today. I will post the results.

Did you ever do this modification? We are looking into doing this for SAR use.
2022-2-24
Use props
IBV Bob
lvl.3
Sweden

ronsand Posted at 2-24 05:59
Did you ever do this modification? We are looking into doing this for SAR use.

Hallo,
Yes. I add external N-type connectors to the smart controller. It works perfectly.
I want to avoid (RP) SMA connectors as they are too tiny for thicker cables and also too tiny to get a proper grip on them.- especially in cold weather conditions or in field.
I also add a Vesa quick mount adapter so I can "click it" onto my montior mount for ergonomical reasons.
2022-6-30
Use props
leostepan
lvl.1

Pakistan

Without a doubt, this is a good gaming setup, but I believe there are more modern ones that are superior. One of the greatest gaming setups is Goliath by Wh1ppet, which has a Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 NVMe SSD Storage, Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-core CPU, NZXT Kraken X72 Liquid CPU cooling, and G-Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 RAM. Alienware AW769 Gaming Keyboard, Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, and many more. This gaming setup takes your gaming to the next level.
2022-10-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules