[VIDEO] Comparison Mavic Mini VS GoPro VS Galaxy S9+
1431 2 2020-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

I've made a comparison video for myself and all the others that might be interested where I pit my 3 small cameras against each other.

Because of my limited time and resources I didn't end up where I wanted but I still feel it' worth publishing.

Our little Mini with its meager 40 Mbps encoder will be compared against the GoPro Hero 6 Black with 66 Mbps at 4k 30fps and the S9+ with 40 Mbps at 2.7k 30fps (more in the video description). If you want access to YT transcoded 4K files look in the comments.

Some of the things I've noticed about the Mavic Mini compared to my other small cameras, in random order:

- The encoder is incredibly effective with a meager 40 Mbps data rate to preserve a lot of detail, almost at the same level as the S9+ that has 4K and a more robust data rate.
- The lens seems to have the least resistance to flare.
- The best highlights/shadows preservation of the bunch, GoPro clipping the white clouds and hasn't got much headroom to recover the shadows (experience), S9+ better in this regard still too contrasty.
- The colors and midtones are quite dim and the tonal balance of the picture is on the coldish side.
- A bit less pleasant out of the camera than the other two (wich isn't a compliment considering the user base target) but notably better to grade in post.
- At 60fps the footage appears sharper than the S9+, the GoPro has the edge with more data rate and resolution (S9+ has 4K 60 but it's not stabilized, 2,7K only 30fps, thus 1080p was used).
- By far the best stabilization of the bunch, if you don't have access to an electronic gimbal, a Mavic Mini on a stick might do the same job.

Feel free to add your considerations to this list.

P.S. (almost forgot): in the final sequences of the video you can see some of the 4K timelapses I captured with the Mini, some I will use again for a new video.
2020-5-29
Use props
Richard Hopkins
lvl.4
Flight distance : 923406 ft
United States

Wow, I have the same phone, works good with the Mini. Do not have a Go-Pro, Like the shot at the end! Well done! Thanks for sharing!
2020-6-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very nice work!
2020-6-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now