1402 39 2020-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ian in London
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There's a lot to love about the new Mavic Air 2 but a few things I'm also finding annoying. Whilst much of the bad points are around the use of the simplified Fly App,  I'm not a 100% fan of the new remote either....

Anyway, did my best to keep things as objective as I could altho some are obviously personal preference; either way, here are my Good & Bad points on this still amazing bit of kit.

Cheers
Ian

2020-5-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I’m so impressed with just how smooth the yaw and roll is on drone and using both together makes for really good footage, for me even with all the settings on my P4P I can’t get it much better than how the Air2 is now. So if they release settings in new FW just wondering how good this can get. But I can manage it pretty easy.

Good job on the video and keep up the good work.
2020-5-30
Use props
Ian in London
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 5-30 02:03
I’m so impressed with just how smooth the yaw and roll is on drone and using both together makes for really good footage, for me even with all the settings on my P4P I can’t get it much better than how the Air2 is now. So if they release settings in new FW just wondering how good this can get. But I can manage it pretty easy.

Good job on the video and keep up the good work.

Thanks sir.  It does take the utmost concentration to get the smooth turns tho.  I really wish they had some damping adjustments; it seems daft to have those options on the Mini but not the Air 2 using the same app.  Hopefully a firmware update away.......
2020-5-30
Use props
vitaly258
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1311375 ft
United Kingdom

very good review pal, thanks. To be honest I don't like the bag either but it's way better than original Mavic Air fly more.
2020-5-30
Use props
ET214
lvl.4
Flight distance : 634505 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-30 02:03
I’m so impressed with just how smooth the yaw and roll is on drone and using both together makes for really good footage, for me even with all the settings on my P4P I can’t get it much better than how the Air2 is now. So if they release settings in new FW just wondering how good this can get. But I can manage it pretty easy.

Good job on the video and keep up the good work.

you just must have a soft touch...
try stopping the drone ( lifting your hands off the sticks)  and see how jerky it is instead of gliding to a smooth stop .
2020-5-30
Use props
ET214
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Great video.. I always look forward to your insights.

I do like the Mavic Air 2..  but agree with you on all points. Maybe if more people speak up and they will release the new firmware or  take the  cripple out.
Has anyone noticed that  the early reviewers (who had the drone before it was announced)  didn't even mention that?  their software wasn't crippled.
Feels like the old bait and switch.
2020-5-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ET214 Posted at 5-30 09:19
you just must have a soft touch...
try stopping the drone ( lifting your hands off the sticks)  and see how jerky it is instead of gliding to a smooth stop .

That gliding to a stop is from cinematic mode, not Exp sticks sensitivity, and much of that can be performed in tripod mode, I’m surprised most don’t know this. You can slow breaking down but it’s not like it’ll slow to a stop, what you’re looking for is already there.
2020-5-30
Use props
ET214
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-30 10:03
That gliding to a stop is from cinematic mode, not Exp sticks sensitivity, and much of that can be performed in tripod mode, I’m surprised most don’t know this. You can slow breaking down but it’s not like it’ll slow to a stop, what you’re looking for is already there.

Guess it just takes some getting used to a new app.
One of the reasons that I don't change camera brands: When you're used to how a tool is set up and it works.. why change.
I do not care for this DJI FLY app and I really hate battling the sun on the phone, Where is the promised compatibility with the Smart Controller?
2020-5-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ET214 Posted at 5-30 10:11
Guess it just takes some getting used to a new app.
One of the reasons that I don't change camera brands: When you're used to how a tool is set up and it works.. why change.
I do not care for this DJI FLY app and I really hate battling the sun on the phone, Where is the promised compatibility with the Smart Controller?

I think there will be an update, but when is anybody’s guess, I’ve never known dji to give a date and would prefer they get Firmware correct first, I think but only think June sometime. People only have it just over two weeks.
2020-5-30
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

For me the new MA2 remote is a dream come true, having spent some time with the one for the Mini. I hate the Mini remote. It's too small to hold and doesn't route the cable neatly enough for me. You have to leave the connector exposed at the RC end and then stuff it through the left clamp. I rarely use it that way because I later fitted a tablet adapter instead. So for me, the new R/C is far better. Maybe my hands are just too big ;-) I almost never fold up the drone or the remote, mostly because I am rarely on the road, so cable storage is no issue.

I'm not so sure about the reliability of the obstacle avoidance. I did manage to defeat it today when I allowed the drone to come between two large bushes, one to the side and another at an angle. Of course the MA2 went straight into the one to the side, fortunately with no damage. And it got into that predicament entirely on its own while tracking me.

2020-5-30
Use props
ET214
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-30 10:27
I think there will be an update, but when is anybody’s guess, I’ve never known dji to give a date and would prefer they get Firmware correct first, I think but only think June sometime. People only have it just over two weeks.

good thing that June is right around the corner... let's hope so.
I can almost guarantee that this will be my last purchase upon release at least from them

2020-5-30
Use props
Ian in London
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ET214 Posted at 5-30 15:25
good thing that June is right around the corner... let's hope so.
I can almost guarantee that this will be my last purchase upon release at least from them

"Last Purchase"?  Yeah, we all say that...........

Yes, as I mentioned, many of my so-called cons will hopefully be fixed by a firmware upgrade or two.  I can get a third party slimline bag and the remote is great once I've lined the phone up so it doesn't turn it off or activate Google Search     I do love the Air 2; I could just love it a whole lot more with a few tweaks
2020-5-31
Use props
Ashlukewalton
lvl.2

Australia

This video is nothing but useless ranting to get views on YouTube.

Go out and fly.
2020-5-31
Use props
Ian in London
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ashlukewalton Posted at 5-31 01:09
This video is nothing but useless ranting to get views on YouTube.

Go out and fly.

It lists good and bad points; that's what testers do.  If you don't like it, jog on...
2020-5-31
Use props
ET214
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ian in London Posted at 5-31 00:38
"Last Purchase"?  Yeah, we all say that...........  

Yes, as I mentioned, many of my so-called cons will hopefully be fixed by a firmware upgrade or two.  I can get a third party slimline bag and the remote is great once I've lined the phone up so it doesn't turn it off or activate Google Search     I do love the Air 2; I could just love it a whole lot more with a few tweaks

Let me clarify the 'Last Purchase' statement. This is the first drone that I have pre-ordered at its announcement and even then, it took me several days of reading and watching reviews before I decided to buy.
I have purchased several other DjI  drones but just not at the time of announcement.
I hope I will not  make that mistake again.

I do hope that they will get the drone fixed sooner rather than later. The latest rumor that I have heard is that it won't be until Q3 ( July), if then.

Thanks again for your videos. I enjoy them, especially  now that we can't get out and fly as much as we all  would like.

2020-5-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great fair review.
2020-6-1
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nicely balanced review Ian - it's a great drone!
2020-6-1
Use props
Cravenfan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125256 ft
United States

Good, Bad and The Ugly was a great movie...I'm cool with some of the opportunities to improve the system, after 30ish days, I realize what you were pointing out is fair.  I've grown to like the FMC bag...although compact and the top flap is a bit odd to get used to, I like the weather protected zipper, etc.  I have a backpack for my camera gear that this fits into and will probably get a hard case at some point, but for now, the FMC bag is an upgrade, IMO to the Spark bag I had prior.  All good...
2020-6-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Good video!
2020-6-2
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice presentation Ian. Very valid points. I still want a MA2 though. Just for some of the features that the MA2 has that the MM doesn't.
2020-6-2
Use props
Ashley Walton
lvl.2

Australia

Ian in London Posted at 5-31 04:12
It lists good and bad points; that's what testers do.  If you don't like it, jog on...

make by the looks of it, they make controversial videos *clickbait* to reel people in.  
2020-6-2
Use props
Ian in London
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ashley Walton Posted at 6-2 22:26
make by the looks of it, they make controversial videos *clickbait* to reel people in.

What's controversial?  Loads of people are surprised and annoyed at the lack of gimbal sensitivity adjustment and no stick adjustment. All the comments on here and the vid show it's been useful and no one forced you to watch it.  Only clickbait here is you trying to be a troll fella.  
2020-6-3
Use props
B737ng
lvl.3
Flight distance : 297106 ft
Ireland

Haven’t watched the video, but just giving my 2P. Having had previous dji drones, I must say air2 is nice drone, but I do feel it was rushed out. Lots of glitches, lots of bugs, FLY is the worst thing they could have done with this drone.
We are also getting a lots of feedback from people that only previously flew the MINI, so they are used to FLY app, and haven’t seen the GO4 app nor more advanced settings so naturally this drone is big winner from them and a huge upgrade.

I still like the air 2, it flys well, nice video and photos. I had few scares already  that I never had with any of my other DJI drones, so this is a bit disappointing .

But lets hope DJI keeps evolving the FLY app and make it better
2020-6-3
Use props
Grimtheviking
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11796312 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Brilliant review, Fantastic drone, and it will get better with future updates as did the Inspire and Phantoms that I have, but agree with the cons. And the bag is buggin me also hahaa. Stay safe all.
2020-6-3
Use props
Ashley Walton
lvl.2

Australia

Ian in London Posted at 6-3 00:00
What's controversial?  Loads of people are surprised and annoyed at the lack of gimbal sensitivity adjustment and no stick adjustment. All the comments on here and the vid show it's been useful and no one forced you to watch it.  Only clickbait here is you trying to be a troll fella.

You got me heh heh heh
2020-6-3
Use props
Ian in London
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

B737ng Posted at 6-3 06:10
Haven’t watched the video, but just giving my 2P. Having had previous dji drones, I must say air2 is nice drone, but I do feel it was rushed out. Lots of glitches, lots of bugs, FLY is the worst thing they could have done with this drone.
We are also getting a lots of feedback from people that only previously flew the MINI, so they are used to FLY app, and haven’t seen the GO4 app nor more advanced settings so naturally this drone is big winner from them and a huge upgrade.

They defo will keep improving it.  Additional functions kept on being added for the Mini including the very adjustments we're after for the Air 2.    Will be interesting how they get this to work with the Smart Controller though, which has its own version of the Go 4 app...
2020-6-3
Use props
ET214
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ian in London Posted at 6-3 21:54
They defo will keep improving it.  Additional functions kept on being added for the Mini including the very adjustments we're after for the Air 2.    Will be interesting how they get this to work with the Smart Controller though, which has its own version of the Go 4 app...

Hi,
I installed the DJI Fly app on the Smart Controller but then chickened out when it came time to bind the Mavic Air 2 to the SC. I didn't do it.

Surprisingly I started up the DJI FLY APP and then powered on the Mavic 2 Pro and Voila... it was there.
  Again ,I shied away from starting the props or flying. The camera view was strange. tons of vignetting
If you're interested there's another thread here where I got the tip.
DJI Fly App on the Smart Controller
2020-6-3
Use props
Ian in London
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ET214 Posted at 6-3 22:27
Hi,
I installed the DJI Fly app on the Smart Controller but then chickened out when it came time to bind the Mavic Air 2 to the SC. I didn't do it.

Ah, of course, it's a separate app on the little Android platform just like our phones.  
Why didn't you try and go ahead with the Air 2?  You can always un-bind and re-bind the 2 Pro...

2020-6-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ET214 Posted at 5-31 06:29
Let me clarify the 'Last Purchase' statement. This is the first drone that I have pre-ordered at its announcement and even then, it took me several days of reading and watching reviews before I decided to buy.
I have purchased several other DjI  drones but just not at the time of announcement.
I hope I will not  make that mistake again.

I think your rumor is just that a Rumor, it most likely FW update will come much sooner than you think.
I’m thinking new FW will be in the first half of June.
2020-6-4
Use props
ET214
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 6-4 06:14
I think your rumor is just that a Rumor, it most likely FW update will come much sooner than you think.
I’m thinking new FW will be in the first half of June.

Hi,
Let's hope so. But , it has settled me down so that I am not daily checking to see if there is an update .
This is also something new for me: hoping for an update ( fix)  for a newly release: product.
2020-6-4
Use props
ET214
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ian in London Posted at 6-4 01:07
Ah, of course, it's a separate app on the little Android platform just like our phones.  
Why didn't you try and go ahead with the Air 2?  You can always un-bind and re-bind the 2 Pro...

just hesitant. have  you ever installed beta software on a computer and found that the software broke the thing?
I may this weekend:  MAY...  if I'm not out flying.
2020-6-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ET214 Posted at 6-4 07:14
Hi,
Let's hope so. But , it has settled me down so that I am not daily checking to see if there is an update .
This is also something new for me: hoping for an update ( fix)  for a newly release: product.

Well we have seen new app update in google store and hopefully very soon in iOS , usually FW updates follow soon after, and more encouraging is dji Mindy has said here on the forum that controls for contrast sharpness will be in new FW update in a few days time, so fingers crossed.
2020-6-4
Use props
ET214
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 6-4 07:21
Well we have seen new app update in google store and hopefully very soon in iOS , usually FW updates follow soon after, and more encouraging is dji Mindy has said here on the forum that controls for contrast sharpness will be in new FW update in a few days time, so fingers crossed.

really? care to share where DJI Money has stated that?
2020-6-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ET214 Posted at 6-4 07:25
really? care to share where DJI Money has stated that?

2020-6-4
Use props
ET214
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks   has the new firmware come out yet?
2020-6-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ET214 Posted at 6-4 14:18
Thanks   has the new firmware come out yet?

No not yet I’m hoping next week.
2020-6-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ian makes excellent videos and they are very informative..... I have several DJI drones and I actually prefer the MA2 Controller..... Much quicker to get set up.... If you actually think about the bag you get in the combo I think it does open the correct way. As usual however the leave very little space in the bag if you want to also carry your Ipad mini or other third party stuff in there
2020-6-4
Use props
ET214
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ian in London Posted at 6-4 01:07
Ah, of course, it's a separate app on the little Android platform just like our phones.  

Hi I did try.
The  Mavic Air 2 was  listed in the  devices in the "connect to " list, but I could not connect it. I was however able to connect the Mavic 2 Pro and even though I was hesitant, I did take it up. The view of the SC of the DJI Fly app did not cover the entire screen, it look as though something was wrong ( see the photos). Although the photo I took came out perfect when during playback on the SC. I just took it up about 20 feet and flew around about 30 feet.
I may have to download the latest DJI Fly to see if the Mavic Air 2 is listed.. and can connect , I hear there's a new version out for Android. ( v. 1.14). I do not have a Mavic Mini but it seems like good news for people that have a Mavic Mini and a Smart Controller. ( NOT>>> wifi transmission on the M Mini)
The photos tell the story and YES, the Advanced Gimbal controls are there

IMG_2010.jpg
2020-6-10
Use props
Ian in London
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ET214 Posted at 6-10 19:27
Hi I did try.
The  Mavic Air 2 was  listed in the  devices in the "connect to " list, but I could not connect it. I was however able to connect the Mavic 2 Pro and even though I was hesitant, I did take it up. The view of the SC of the DJI Fly app did not cover the entire screen, it look as though something was wrong ( see the photos). Although the photo I took came out perfect when views on the SC. I just took it up about 20 feet and flew around about 30 feet.
I may have to download the latest DJI Fly to see of the Mavic Air 2 is listed.. , I hear there's a new version out for Android. ( v. 1.14). I do not have a Mavic Mini but it seems like good news for people that have a Mavic Mini and a Smart Controller. ( NOT>>> wifi transmission on the M Mini)

The Mavic 2 Pro is one of the supported models for the Smart Controller and does use the Go 4 app, so it would work perfectly....

Wonder when they will get the Air 2 to work.....
2020-6-13
Use props
ET214
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ian in London Posted at 6-13 07:45
The Mavic 2 Pro is one of the supported models for the Smart Controller and does use the Go 4 app, so it would work perfectly....

Wonder when they will get the Air 2 to work.....

Yes, That is the $1,000 question, When will they release the firmware for compatibility with the Smart Controller.
I do get frustrated using my phone or tablet to fly , after having used the Smart Controller and even the Crystal Sky.
2020-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules