Wi-Fi reverting to Manual automatically?
1359 13 2020-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

I just noticed that anytime I start the DJI Fly app in preparation for a fly - after connecting with the drone and during my pre-flight checks - the Transmission setting is always in Manual mode, this means that I have to switch it manually to Auto every time (which also causes the drone to shut down and restart in order to apply those settings). I find this "bug" to be very dangerous especially in EU as locking into a single 2.4ghz channel can easily mean losing strength and/or connection with the aircraft and I personally had some terrifying experiences with my (long gone) Spark. All and all, 1 more crucial step to remember... perhaps this has not been drawn to DJIs admins yet or DJI is working on a fix as we speak, I certainly hope so.

On the positive side, I am still blown-up by the way this thing flies for its size... I would still like to have some kind of anti collision sensors for added peace of mind but so far, so good
2020-5-31
Use props
ABeardedItalian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

On startup the mini picks a channel and sticks to that channel for the duration of the flight.

Auto simply means on power up it Picks the channel with the less noise and locks to that, It doesn't switch channels while flying.

Manual lets you pick what channel to fly on for that flight.
2020-5-31
Use props
djiuser_jlXvtbqzCyHi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4725190 ft
Spain

Don't have that issue, mm starting always in automatic mode....
2020-5-31
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

ABeardedItalian Posted at 5-31 05:52
On startup the mini picks a channel and sticks to that channel for the duration of the flight.

Auto simply means on power up it Picks the channel with the less noise and locks to that, It doesn't switch channels while flying.

So on startup it is on Manual Mode already (obviously it has to stick to 1 channel). So that means that it prioritizes the strongest channel on startup right? Perhaps a DJI admin could confirm this

2020-5-31
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

djiuser_jlXvtbqzCyHi Posted at 5-31 08:53
Don't have that issue, mm starting always in automatic mode....

Interesting... I checked the Mavic Pilots forum and it seems that this issue is widespread (or normal).
2020-5-31
Use props
Guorium
lvl.4
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

Mine is on manual upon startup too. I have to go back to auto every time. Mildly annoying.
2020-5-31
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

Guorium Posted at 5-31 17:25
Mine is on manual upon startup too. I have to go back to auto every time. Mildly annoying.

Thanks man
2020-5-31
Use props
virtual
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

I have app ver. 108 and haven't noticed this "auto switch" to manual but I always had set it to automatic. Sometimes I see 5.8 frequency set being in field away from possible wifi interference...
2020-5-31
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

virtual Posted at 5-31 23:48
I have app ver. 108 and haven't noticed this "auto switch" to manual but I always had set it to automatic. Sometimes I see 5.8 frequency set being in field away from possible wifi interference...

I see... I have the latest firmware and as written above, it always reverts to Manual automatically. I hope a DJI rep can comment on this.
2020-6-1
Use props
Guorium
lvl.4
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

El Diabolico Posted at 6-1 02:14
I see... I have the latest firmware and as written above, it always reverts to Manual automatically. I hope a DJI rep can comment on this.

Yes latest everything here too. DJI needs to correct this. Make the user's choice stick, no revert to a default every time the drone connects.
2020-6-1
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

Guorium Posted at 6-1 06:00
Yes latest everything here too. DJI needs to correct this. Make the user's choice stick, no revert to a default every time the drone connects.

Absolutely, thanks ;)
2020-6-2
Use props
Drwho09
lvl.1
United States

Total newbie and I also noticed the default to manual on mine.  I wondered about that.  What is the benefit of automatic mode if the drone doesn’t switch during flight?
Presumably one can check the manual choice during preflight and change to a stronger signal if one exists. (I have noticed it doesn’t always pick the strongest channel available but close enough).
2020-6-28
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

Drwho09 Posted at 6-28 18:37
Total newbie and I also noticed the default to manual on mine.  I wondered about that.  What is the benefit of automatic mode if the drone doesn’t switch during flight?
Presumably one can check the manual choice during preflight and change to a stronger signal if one exists. (I have noticed it doesn’t always pick the strongest channel available but close enough).

IMO (and I could be wrong as I believe this is a glitch), Auto Mode will pick the strongest signal available at that moment in time. In EU,  if flying in the city, that will mean a channel with low interference in the 5.8Ghz band and in the countryside, it will chose automatically a low interference channel on the 2.4Ghz.

The problem might occur if the default Manual Mode is stored in the memory and that channel has high interference causing possible connectivity issues. I personally would prefer that the Mini would start in Auto as in the city the range is limited anyway so I don’t want to have to remember an additional step every time. On the other hand, I don’t mind to select the channel manually if flying away from populated areas as obviously the distances will be drastically improved.
2020-7-1
Use props
Snapperud
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13553 ft
Norway

Mine goes to manual upon startup too
I have to go back to auto every time.
Running iOS
2020-7-22
Use props
Advanced