Poll! Do you think users should upgrade to the latest firmware?
12Next >
7731 67 2015-6-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Helios
lvl.2
United States

Single SelectVote, Total 449 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2015-6-16
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

I updated and now my video link is weak, starts stuttering real bad at 200 meters when I had no problem going 3km regularly for 27 other flights on the previous firmware and I get vision positioning errors telling me there is a problem with the vps and to land immediately..  It flys still but I'm not risking it. My p3 will stay on the ground until the next firmware update or dji lets us roll back to the previous version for now.  Like take the previous version and change the version number so the p3 thinks it's upgrading when it's actually downgrading because this firmware isn't safe and that would be the fastest solution to getting us in the air I think.  The other thing that scared me is I was 105 meters high and 250 meters out and I swear the p3 looked like it dropped a good 30 meters when the throttle stick was at center and it should have been holding altitude..  It scared me for a second cuz I thought it was going to hit the ground hard until it stopped dropping..  After that it seemed like it wasn't as high as I'm use to seeing it for what the old was telling me for height..  It appeared to be off 30 meters at least..   Like the osd on my iPad was saying 70 meters high and it appeared to be only about 40 meters high.  Then I landed it and shut it off and powered it back up again and I got the vps error again and the height readings appeared to be normal again. But I didn't stay up I brought it down yo see how it would hover between 0 to 4 meters and it wasn't as stable as it use to be..  No matter what it would only hover at 2 meters. If I went up to 4 meters and let off the throttle stick it would come right back down ton2 meters. If I lowed the p3 to just above the sidewalk it would during right back to 2 meters as soon as I let off the throttle stick..  Over 9 meters it seemed to hold it alt position..  So vps definitely Hassan issue after the update

So please dji pull that new firmware off your site! And figure out a way we can all go back to version 1.1.9 please!
2015-6-16
Use props
DKdji
lvl.2
Flight distance : 27707 ft
United States

Mark97564 Posted at 2015-6-17 13:12
I updated and now my video link is weak, starts stuttering real bad at 200 meters when I had no prob ...

I agree!!! so disappointed. Flew Great before the firmware update!  
2015-6-16
Use props
Helios
lvl.2
United States

Yikes... This isn't looking good...
2015-6-16
Use props
Brandon00151
lvl.3
Flight distance : 119137 ft
United States

Wow if what people post on here is true DJI doesn't need to only drop the firmware they need to drop the crappy programmers too. And maybe hire some testers while they're at it. I feel like DJI is pretty much telling other Quadcopter companies to steal their customers. The P3 is my first "advanced" quad and I love it alot but I'll definitely wait a few months when the next Phantom is released. that is if I decide to stick with DJI. I mean this is their 3rd Phantom so you'd think they'd get things right by now. I guess we'll have to wait and see..
2015-6-16
Use props
kiwichrish
lvl.3

Very happy with my P3A the way it is, voted no. :-)

Happy to wait for another version release at this stage, new DJI customer, sitting on fence etc...

A question arises from this though..  How long can you leave it before upgrading?

I saw one review of the inspire that said if you don't upgrade the firmware eventually it will refuse to function?  I that the same case with the Phantom?
2015-6-16
Use props
pianist
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37956 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

Mark, I totally agree.

Dear DJI - please provide a "fix" so at least we can roll back to 1.1.9!!
2015-6-16
Use props
Helios
lvl.2
United States

We must all submit a report to DJI about these issue.
2015-6-16
Use props
nr.kyborg
lvl.3

Denmark

Same here with my P3A on 1.2.7 Flew perfectly before, now I dont feel its safe. stuttering, and gps not as good
2015-6-16
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

nr.kyborg Posted at 2015-6-17 15:15
Same here with my P3A on 1.2.7 Flew perfectly before, now I dont feel its safe. stuttering, and gps  ...

looks like DJI listened and the latest for P3 P on downloads is 1.2.7 (i assume you are asking 1.2.7 from your post?)
2015-6-17
Use props
Helios
lvl.2
United States

arunmehta Posted at 2015-6-17 16:16
looks like DJI listened and the latest for P3 P on downloads is 1.2.7

I still only see 1.2.7 for the P3P.
2015-6-17
Use props
vu.q.le
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-6-17
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Still at 1.1.6 with no desire to change. l'll download it to a card as a stepping stone if it doesn't get pulled.
2015-6-17
Use props
salota8550 This user has been deleted
2015-6-17
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think the issue with Phantom's is the vast amount of differences in usage conditions ( hot weather, cold weather, windy, not windy, high pressure, low pressure, combination of, user devices ).. Things that work ok in lab tests are not always translated to real world. Look at Formula 1, they can design, test in computer, build and d wind tunnel a new front wing and all is well, come to the track for race day and it does not work properly. I think this is the issue DJI are facing.

How to make it better.. Maybe send hundreds of Phantoms to people around the world and wait weeks/months for them to bed test them for every possible situation in real world conditions. All the while people wait forever for updates and the product never moves forwards.

If you want a world like Apple where they make you wait forever for updates/features then maybe wait for them to make a Quadcopter. The RC scene has always been a bit of a "test and see" from the days of building your own to now.. If it changes then some of the fun will go away for me..
2015-6-17
Use props
leon
lvl.1

United States

Mark97564 Posted at 2015-6-17 13:12
I updated and now my video link is weak, starts stuttering real bad at 200 meters when I had no prob ...

Hell NO! You mean Version 1.1.8!!
2015-6-17
Use props
leon
lvl.1

United States

pianist Posted at 2015-6-17 13:42
Mark, I totally agree.

Dear DJI - please provide a "fix" so at least we can roll back to 1.1.9!!

NO NO NO NO 1.1.8
2015-6-17
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Helios Posted at 2015-6-17 16:23
I still only see 1.2.7 for the P3P.

The latest version for the Pro is 1.2.6
The latest version for the Advanced is 1.2.7
That was as of 9:10 AM EDT - 6/17/2015
2015-6-17
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-17 17:57
I think the issue with Phantom's is the vast amount of differences in usage conditions ( hot weather ...

The Apple closed ecosystem is what makes Apple so great. You build the hardware and software and test to death so that it works. It's rare when it doesn't.

In regards to DJI and support of both Apple and Adroid devises. DJI has a list of both OS's and hardware that they tested on and recommend. Anything outside of what they recommend, and you're on your own. If your using a supported devise operating on an OS that is recommended, it's up to DJI to provide a workable solution to allow you to use your unit in a fashion that is was sold as performing to.

Testing for different environmental conditions is a normal progression of the manufacturing process. It's not like you're making items that require testing lab temperature and relative humidity controls. There have to be considerations that what you are selling is being operated under many different environments unless sold otherwise.

IMO, DJI rushed the Phantom 3 to market believing that 3D Robotics was going to steal their thunder and sales potential. Now the problems are being discovered, they're playing catch up.

I suspect that DJI has a thin bench of personnel that are able to identify and fix the problems found by the customers. There may be 3000 people working for DJI, but I doubt that more than 200 are in their engineering group.

2015-6-17
Use props
Helios
lvl.2
United States

I will stick with 1.1.9 it seems.
2015-6-17
Use props
karastif
lvl.1

United States

A roll back please.
2015-6-17
Use props
bluetazmaster69
lvl.2

United States

Guess you can call me a chicken, but, I too will sit on the fence and wait and see what happens next. Just my 2cents.
2015-6-17
Use props
mech
lvl.2

United States

I updated the firmware, calibrated the IMU, the RC, the Gimbal and the compass. Did a test flight and it flies perfectly and no different than before. Not sure if I'm just lucky?
2015-6-17
Use props
Rigworker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

mech@wispertel. Posted at 2015-6-18 02:42
I updated the firmware, calibrated the IMU, the RC, the Gimbal and the compass. Did a test flight an ...

I did the same and all seems to be working fine. Did a couple test flights indoors as well to check VPS. Seemed pretty solid.
2015-6-17
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-6-17 21:14
The Apple closed ecosystem is what makes Apple so great. You build the hardware and software and t ...

Greg, I agree with what you wrote, but with one exception - there appear to be lots of people having problems even with "approved devices." I'm using a Galaxy S5 (absolutely, positively on the approved list) and having problems very similar to others.

Otherwise I'm in the same gripe pit with you.
2015-6-17
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

What I wish was...  DJI would allow ANY firmware to instal.  STOP making the drone only accept newer firmware.

If there is firmware on the card ... LOAD IT.

This would allow rollbacks as needed.  There is absolutely NO REASON to only allow later firmware to be installed.  (Especially when all of the new firmware you release is causing problems.)

ALLOW ROLL BACKS!!!!!!
2015-6-17
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-18 05:02
Greg, I agree with what you wrote, but with one exception - there appear to be lots of people havi ...

Sir: Not sure when the latest Android OS version was rolled out verses any testing done by DJI. From the disclaimer on the Pilot app, your S5 is a supported devise using Android 4.1.2.

For the Apple IOS, DJI claims that their software runs on IOS version 8.0 or later. Other than a few minor security tweaks, there haven't been any hardware changes that the IOS has to support unlike Android.

I truly feel for the people that purchased Droid hardware to the specifications set forth by DJI and are having issues rendering their Phantom's light weight desk ornaments.

DJI needs a lesson in configuration management and locking that configuration down once they certify it works.

From what has been posted to date, both Google and DJI share the blame for the loss of functionality of the Phantom. The Google bloatware and other snooping apps that run hidden in the background once stripped appear to be a major contribution to the lagging video.

DJI's attempts at the quick fix has rendered the quads to operating at less than stellar results.

What boggles my mind is that the Google Play Store has a newer version of the Pilot app than what DJI is displaying. Just last week DJI was displaying software newer than Google.

LOCK IT DOWN. I'd much rather hear that you're not sure what the problem is, but are working to a solution, than to patch this and that and still not have an operational quad.

DJI damage control. Offer warranty extensions for those effected by the present condition. Mr. DJI needs to come to the forums to offer up an apology and provide timely updates.

To date, Tahoe_Ed has caught some flack that he didn't deserve, but he's the face of DJI here. Sorry Ed but you've been left out to dry.

I've forwarded a few of the links here to Ryan Mac the Forbes writer that did the Frank Wang Phantom piece. It appears that DJI only acts when they've been poked with sticks.
2015-6-17
Use props
musman1978
lvl.2

Poland

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-6-18 05:31
What I wish was...  DJI would allow ANY firmware to instal.  STOP making the drone only accept newer ...

Just installed 1.2.8 on P3A and I'm rolled back to 1.1.5,

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;page=1#pid153177
2015-6-18
Use props
shango
lvl.2
United Kingdom

You cant view the poll results until you vote which would assume you have already updated.
People will want to see the results before updating their firmware as that is the point of the poll.

Based on the comments though I'll wait
2015-6-18
Use props
vu.q.le
Banned

United States

2015-6-18
Use props
kenmasters
lvl.1

Canada

I'm still on 1.19 and had no significant issues.   I'm taking the P3 on a trip with me in a week, and I don't think I would take the chance in upgrading if there are known issues.   Good to have a community of people to confirm this.  Thanks.  
2015-6-18
Use props
SULTAN This user has been deleted
2015-6-19
Use props
ahmetkaragoz
lvl.1

Turkey

My P3P is crashed after the update. i lost the control without any reason . My phantom was 10 meters away from me. Unbeliavable.
2015-6-20
Use props
Vaupell
lvl.2
Flight distance : 198392 ft
Denmark

Well, I just came to see if i really should update.
Clearly, no update for me out just yet.  my P3P is staying on the original, works great as is.
2015-6-20
Use props
harderna
lvl.1

United States

I had the same issue as the poster above.  Took it out for a flight today and worked fine.  Took it out again tonight and after takeoff I let it hover 10 ft off the ground and it took off automatically horizontal on its own.  Crashed so hard the battery came out of the P3.  Don't know what to do now.
2015-6-20
Use props
gatorone30
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1145489 ft
United States

I'm not having any problems. It is working like a champ!
2015-6-22
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

harderna@yahoo. Posted at 2015-6-21 12:21
I had the same issue as the poster above.  Took it out for a flight today and worked fine.  Took it  ...

The battery falling out after a crash could be looked at as a safety feature. Keeps the blades from spinning causing further damage.

If you are using the Apple IOS, you can view your flight records. There is a icon to click down the bottom on the Pilot app which displays the stick and position.

After you view the records, post the video up here for all to see.

Also, was the vision Position system on or off at the time of the crash?
2015-6-23
Use props
rich_even
lvl.1

United States

ahmetkaragoz@gm Posted at 2015-6-21 03:34
My P3P is crashed after the update. i lost the control without any reason . My phantom was 10 meters ...

Did you update via the App or did you download the firmware to a PC and put it on the SD card?

2015-6-23
Use props
kalin2011
lvl.2

Canada

No update for me until better reports on performance improves.  Mine works great.
2015-6-23
Use props
wiregrassbulldo
lvl.1

United States

Updated to 1.26 on 15th.  It's been flawless.
2015-6-25
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules