First Released Phantom Shoot: The O Course
1787 13 2015-6-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cacc
lvl.3

Canada

I have shot a few commercial spots already since receiving my Phantom 3 Professional, but here is the first one to leave the editing floor! This was shot by a crew of four videographers and me in the sky for a fitness program called The O Course. The Phantom footage is a mix of 4k@24 and 1080p@60 and across 3 batteries I logged about 100 minutes in the sky with 70 minutes of footage over the course of about 3 hours -- all condensed down to a 2 minute spot. The Phantom 3 really is an amazing machine!

2015-6-16
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Yeah, slick video!

Alas,  I'm just not sure who is going to start picking it apart first; those who think it is a thinly veiled commercial for Gatorade blatantly invading the forum or those that will start interrogating you about whether you got an FAA waiver, or AH-HA! caught you flying over crowds or sheesh, somebody will probably complain about the color orange renewing the struggle in Northern Ireland.  Me?  Hmmm, not enough shapely women is tight fitting spandex sensuously stretching in slow motion...  (dang, THAT'S going to anger the women AND the gay community -- ah well, you just can't win can you?)
2015-6-17
Use props
clkilljoy1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15207 ft
United States

gil Posted at 2015-6-17 20:23
Yeah, slick video!

Alas,  I'm just not sure who is going to start picking it apart first; those who ...

Nice Shoot Cacc. Glade to see something other than farms and trees.  (So true Gil, Kind of makes you sorry you even share sometimes. You need a tough hide.)
2015-6-17
Use props
Dive-N-Dog
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1087028 ft
United States

Yeah, slick video!

Alas,  I'm just not sure who is going to start picking it apart first; those who ...

Gil,
Are you serious?   Toronto is in Canada and the FAA rules do not apply.  Not saying that Canada has rules of their own.  As for flying over a crowd again that is a FAA rule however if there is a Canadian law in place for flying over a crowd one would assume that since it is a comercial then all participants had signed a waiver, thus giving permission to operate the quad copter over the people involved.

As for the comercial... Nice work Cacc! Too bad that YT lowers the vid quality, post it on Vimeo next time.

-Dog
2015-6-17
Use props
stevetimman
lvl.1

United States

Good mix of perspectives.
2015-6-17
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Cacc,

Loved it! Great work. The aerial stuff was very smooth and well done. The whole ad was actually.

Jerry
2015-6-17
Use props
Cacc
lvl.3

Canada

Yeah, slick video!

All commercial shoots advertise something, in this case it was a Gatorade sponsored event.
The FAA rules don't apply because I am in Canada, but I also stayed within the rules set out by Transport Canada. I did not fly more than 90 meters high, everyone had to acknowledge on entrance that they were aware of the dangers and to listen if I yelled an order, I have $7.5mil in liability insurance from MAAC, I was on private property and the stadium was aware of the situation, and technically the participants were "involved in the operation" since they were the subjects.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/docume ... V_Print_English.pdf

And thank you to everyone else for your kind words. Catching nature from a different perspective is beautiful, but catching action and being creative is a lot more fun!
2015-6-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Well done, good job, from obviously plenty of prep...
Thanks for sharing your awesome footage...

RedHotPoker
2015-6-17
Use props
jon.godfrey
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Nice work!  I really like the use of sound.  I'm recording background audio using a Tascam DR-05 and adding it to my videos even if there's music as it adds some reality.
2015-6-17
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Dive-N-Dog Posted at 2015-6-18 00:06
Gil,
Are you serious?   Toronto is in Canada and the FAA rules do not apply.  Not saying that Canad ...

Are you  serious?!?  (Sigh... WHERE is the emoticon for tongue-in-cheek?)

To answer your question; Heavens to Betsy NO!  The spandex alliteration sequence alone should have been a hint.   Sheesh, I suppose this kinda makes the point I was hinting at; regardless of what somebody posts there will be somebody who can find fault with it or nitpick it to death or derail the thread into another direction...

Ah please Cacc, tell me you got that huh?  Come on people, we're supposed to be having fun!
2015-6-17
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Cacc Posted at 2015-6-18 02:17
All commercial shoots advertise something, in this case it was a Gatorade sponsored event.
The FAA ...

Glad to hear you were responsible & flew within Canada's regulations.  (Good Job!)

One more thing to remember...   Did the participants all sign a talent release?  Otherwise... Any one of the participants can sue you & Gatorade for using their likeness without permission.
2015-6-17
Use props
Cacc
lvl.3

Canada

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-6-18 03:52
Glad to hear you were responsible & flew within Canada's regulations.  (Good Job!)

One more thing ...

That is a VERY good point and something that everyone needs to keep in mind when it comes to model releases for anything that will be used as promotional tool. You CAN video strangers in a public place without permission unless, again, it is used as an advertisement.

This was a full-on shoot where the producer took care of all of the releases on the signup form for the event; standard model release whereby signing up and participating in the event is consent that your image may be used for promotional material. I guess I should mention that I am in the film industry in Toronto so this was not just a "fun shoot" kind of thing. My daily job for the last 9 years has been casting for commercial/tv/film and my side job for the last 6 years has been camera/camera assist for commercials. This was a shoot where anyone who did not want to consent was turned away at the gate (the event is every 2 weeks so they were told to come back for the next one) but I don't think anyone fit into that category.
2015-6-17
Use props
Cacc
lvl.3

Canada

gil Posted at 2015-6-18 03:12
Are you  serious?!?  (Sigh... WHERE is the emoticon for tongue-in-cheek?)

To answer your question ...

I didn't take it how you meant it I suppose, but I also didn't see it as an attack. The way I took it was more "watch your butt if you are going to bend/ignore the rules". With too many people out there doing stupid things which leads to tighter restrictions for those of us who fly safe, I saw it as a cautionary tale. For all that was known I could be a fully licenced pilot and got permits and the whole shebang; your post was just a general "fly safe" statement. I would much prefer people have that kind of attitude when it comes to a 1.2kg paperweight staying in the sky by rotating blades instead of "watch me do this stupid thing".

That's what it's all about! Fly safe and have fun...but fly safe.
2015-6-17
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Cacc Posted at 2015-6-18 05:48
That is a VERY good point and something that everyone needs to keep in mind when it comes to model ...

Well said.  Very cool work!
2015-6-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules