DJI please let us roll our p3's back to firmware 1.1.9! 1.2.6 is not safe
5737 66 2015-6-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

I also have got in my P3P a 'weak video' on 600m yesterday. It was on open space, no high buildings, drone was on about 120m altitude.
However i didnt flew larger distance before.
2015-6-20
Use props
Nirix
New

Denmark

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-6-19 04:04
If you think that 50% of our users are having problems then you are smoking some good stuff.  The  ...

Wow.. It is NOT OK to address customers like that.
2015-6-20
Use props
djricaric
lvl.1

United States

Question...

P3Pro still on the 1.1.9 Firmware... have the update on a Memory Card, but haven't upgraded due to all of the problems.
DJI app has been upgraded on the phone to it's newest version from the Google Play Store.

Knowing this, can I still fly my bird or with the app update, it'll force me to upgrade the bird?!

Thanks!
2015-6-20
Use props
dominic.espejo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 88130 ft
United States

My experience was the opposite.  My auto take-off height on my P3P was off by about a meter.  I submitted a ticket, but the F/W came out and I upgraded.  The upgrade seemed to fix the malfunction, and I haven't had any issues so far.  Stable hover (slight drift when windy).
2015-6-20
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here is a video of my unit on v1.2.6.  I was at 9000' above ASL.  The wind was blowing and at times I was flying at a negative altitude descending into the meadow.  

I have had no issues with VPS or altitude hold.  My upgrade procedure it to formate the card and install the bin file.  Run the update on the P3.  Once completed, I remove the SD card and check both txt files the root file and the hidden one.  I verify all modules were upgraded.  I then reformat the card and do new clean install of the bin file and proceed to the Tx.  I use a USB card reader and the same SD card as the P3.  I rarely have any issues.  I was part of a larger test team that did a review of the firmware before release.  There were no reported issues during those tests.  We did not do the expanded test on this version of the firmware.  DJI is aware of the VPS issue, and the Android App issue.  I have reported the drop in altitude issue.  I will say that while several users are report this here, They are not doing so on RCG and I have not been made aware of posts on PP.  That does not say that they do not exist but the reports on VPS and Android far outweigh the altitude.    Again DJI is aware of the issue.  

2015-6-20
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

parralix Posted at 2015-6-20 07:44
i also have drift and unstable alt hold since fw "upgrade".  is it too much to ask dji to allow 1.1. ...

I have you done a IMU calibration.  If so what are your mod values?  Also do you check the K values when you go out to fly.  Solar activity can have an effect on the crafts performance.  I have an App on my phone that sends me a message when activity is high.  If it is too high then I do not fly.
2015-6-20
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-6-18 09:39
Hey sploodge I have been trying to get your attention on this altitude loss problem for several day ...

Hi mtnmaddman,

Sorry dude, not been taking too much interest in the forums lately as they are just repetitive with the same people moaning and not listening to help. Takes its toll

I have tested the altitude thing about 7 times and cannot for the life of me create the severe "dropping" that mark and yourself reported. I can create a *slight issue maintaining altitude when in VPS range but thats all. I have tested in every flyable condition the UK allows ( windy, very windy, cool, warm, hot ( UK Hot ) and thundery. Not more I can do, especially with my own Phantom. DJI are very welcome to send me a test Phantom 3 I can use to try and recreate user issues if they want

And the issue you report of the altitude being so incorrect i'm also finding hard to re-create, I might have the odd 1 ft difference between reality and reported but that is to be expected. I have tried autoland, RTH and just pulling the throttle down from aboit 100m to almost ground level then land gently, its still almost accurate.

I really think that some issues are related to the installation of the firmware. Its not the most intuitive method ever and no doubt some users are being impatient and maybe breaking the firmware mid install possibly causing issues. Is this a DJI issue, not really but maybe a better method is needed like on the P2. Is it an user isue, a little as some pople just need to follow instructions to the T sometimes.

I suggest EVERYONE follow the instruction Ed has posted here when updating to ANY firmware on the P3:

1: FORMAT SD card and place latest .BIN on the root.
2: Run the update on the P3 and WAIT for it to complete ( need the Da---da da sound )
3: Check the results TXT file AND the hidden file to make sure it finished successfully. I always save mine on my computer for reference.
4: FORMAT te SD card again and place a fresh copy of the .BIN on the root.
5: Update the TX and WAIT for it to finish.

I would then do the following.

1: Advanced IMU calibration on level surface. Check the MOD values. Should be similar to this for good values -
2: Check all app settings as they sometimes get wiped, set yuor preference again if needed. if you are concerned about VPS turn it off. Also, if it WAS  OFF before the firmware then toffle it ON and OFF again as it seems to be ON after a firmware update but not reflected in thr APP.
3: Compass calibration in the most open free of metal things place you can find.
4: Gimbal calibration.
4: DO a TEST flight at about 20m and fly in all directions and various maneuvers to make sure it *feels OK.

I use the followeing Apps on my Phone to assist in my flying happy times.

Multi Measure 2- I use the TESLAMETER feature to check the area I will d the compass calibration for anomalies. I take it from ground level to up above my head and around and look at the readings for spikes/drops. - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ ... -1/id933528345?mt=8

Magnetology - I use this to check the K values before I fly incase they are reported to be high. - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/magnetology/id789651124?mt=8

Finally, it would be good if people be a little nicer to those trying to help them. it would be easy to just say "Ring DJI Support" but some choose to give up their time to help ( even some of the ungrateful little buggers on here still get help ). People needing help  first and foremost need to start helping themselves. if they can't do this then others have very little hope with them. I feel for those with issues but have no sympathy if they choose to be d*cks when they deem the help they get is not sufficient and go and a rant.

You can now buy the official DJI Hardshell Backpack for the Phantom 3
Remember to buy extra propellers and one or two spare batteries to keep you flying
www.Phantom-Guide.co.uk - The Ultimate Phantom 3 Resource

2015-6-21
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

pianist Posted at 2015-6-21 03:25
Latest FW 1.2.6 also rendered my P3 unstable. After takeoff P3 will slowly begin to increase altitud ...

Hey pianist
I am getting exactly the opposite readings.  You said you are getting a negative altitude reading when you return to ground level,  I am getting a positive altitude reading every-time I fly when I return to ground , it as though the p3 is loosing altitude during flight, sometimes my barometric reading displays that I am at 40, 50 ft. altitude when on the ground.  I live at 7000 ft. trying to determine if the altitude here is problem, if its the software, or if my phantom has a problem,  do you live like at altitude, or at sea level , or somewhere in between, I appreciate any further input you have on this.  I dont know whether to send the p3 in , send it back , or just forget it. very frustrating
2015-6-21
Use props
dgheck
lvl.1

United States

Kyokushin Posted at 2015-6-21 03:55
I also have got in my P3P a 'weak video' on 600m yesterday. It was on open space, no high buildings, ...

I have only flown my P3P once since upgrading to 1.2.6 and it was on a pretty breezing day and I did not go very high.  Because it was breezy I cannot really comment on it's flying/maneuverability...but one thing was very noticeable: Very weak, laggy video.  And the unit was never more than 60 of 70 yards from me at all times.
2015-6-21
Use props
sinbad_uk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117343 ft
United Kingdom

is this normal behavior? Wiress and BT switch off on phone. It is in my garden and there is quite a bit of Wi-Fi Interference from my house and others but is this to be expected?
2015-6-21
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

sinbad_uk@ntlwo Posted at 2015-6-22 02:34
is this normal behavior? Wiress and BT switch off on phone. It is in my garden and there is quite a  ...

If you have an Android device.  It has been reported.  Make sure that there are no Apps running in the background.  That you have video caching turned off.  There are several threads discussing the lagging video that you can research.
2015-6-22
Use props
sinbad_uk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117343 ft
United Kingdom

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-6-23 05:43
If you have an Android device.  It has been reported.  Make sure that there are no Apps running in ...

Thanks Ed, it is an android device.
2015-6-22
Use props
Kotaix 1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 932228 ft
  • >>>
Chile

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-20 10:32
Just so you know, hundreds here said the same thing about 1.1.9 when it came out - demanded to be  ...

in my opinion the FW 1.1.8 was the best of all. My aircraft was really stable on air, with no lags in my Samsung Tab. After the upgrade to 1.1.9, everything went worse. :/
2015-6-22
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

After seeing a dji rep say turn off vps and things will be fine I decided to try and do that this weekend. My first flight since the 1.2.7 update and with vps off it flew fine...  No issues with flight one bit and it was even stable at low altitudes again, like 2 meters..  So turning vps off made my p3 fly reliably again..  I had some video downlink issues for the first battery I used yesterday but then the next 2 batteries it flew perfectly...  The video was updating late and appeared to shift images instead of being smooth..  It could have been my iPad was too hot cuz it was sitting in my car for an hr on a 96 degree day and then I flew it and afterwards I left my trunk open and windows down while parked in the shade and about an hr later I flew it again and video was fine..  I flew my F550 with h3-3d gimble with light bridge right after I flew my P3 and I didn't have any image transmission issues and I used the same iPad 2 for both copters..  So I don't know if it was interference or things being hot. I did notice light bridge changing channels allot more than I'm use to it doing.. So interference could have been an issue..

On the p3 I switched hardware decode on and off but I didn't see any difference with it on or off..  Does anyone know exactly what turning hardware decode on or off does anyway? I don't see a difference ever

So bottom line with vps off my p3,flew perfectly fine.. No issues at all but I would like it to be fixed soon
2015-6-22
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

So clearly vps caused my issues with altitude..  Video is still occasionally real laggy...  i see no difference between hardware decode on or off though, so I'm wondering what it does? Anyone?   I'm guessing with it on lightbridge in the p3's controller does the decoding and with it off the software on the tablet or ipad2 does the decoding..  anyone that can verify this for me?
2015-6-22
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Glad you got some flying done mark.

As for the lag issue. Its looking highly likely that it it heat related especially on the iPad's ( could be many factors in the Android devices not just heat ). Its something I plan on testing but since I live in the UK I will more than likely need to heat the iPad up somehow

The hardware decode option allows the app to use the iPad's GPU to assist with doing some of the  data crunching instead of relying on the CPU. The same as modern video editing can use your graphics card to better performance.
As for what it does and the noticeable difference.. It definitely can be seen working if you have other apps running ( not a good idea ) but otherwise it is very minor visually. There is little to nothing done at the controller end with the video stream other than shoving it up the cable to the tablet device. The Pilot App is one high end app and probably pushed the tablets as much as a highly graphics intensive game does on the device.
2015-6-22
Use props
ScottyT
lvl.4

New Zealand

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-23 14:11
Glad you got some flying done mark.

As for the lag issue. Its looking highly likely that it it heat ...

"The Pilot App is one high end app and probably pushed the tablets as much as a highly graphics intensive game does on the device"

Have to disagree here. Temperature may well be a culprit in certain scenarios, but only because the app is already using a large amount of CPU and thus causing the heat which when factored with the ambient temp, pushes the device over the edge.

I imagine there are some large efficiencies that can be made with the app in that department:

1. with the DJI pilot app first started without the RC unit still off - minimal CPU usage...what you'd expect as the app has nothing to display, not much to do. Maps loaded, GPS aquired. CPU Temp 40C
2. turn on the RC transmitter but P3 is OFF and boom:- CPU >54% on a Quad core @ 1900MHz non throttled, only app running. CPU Temp > 70C

Seriously? What's it doing aside from polling the USB bus for minimal updates? No FPV feed whatsoever to display. No intensive graphics to display. No number crunching needed I would have thought. But it's already used half of the device's resources to display "No Signal" on a black screen.

Little wonder we need to ensure no other apps are running and look for workarounds to claw back CPU cycles wherever we can, as the app is very inefficient and seemingly a resource hog in an otherwise idle state.
2015-6-23
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ScottyT Posted at 2015-6-23 17:24
"The Pilot App is one high end app and probably pushed the tablets as much as a highly graphics i ...

I'm not an app developer so can't comment on efficiencies of the code. I'm sure it can be made a little better but its what we all have to work with at the moment.. Its affecting the Android tablets more than the iDevices so maybe the app is a bit better on that platform.

But as soon as you have a heavy app operating on a device with high ambient temps then things will get hot
2015-6-23
Use props
Fotonissen1
lvl.1

Sweden

correct the problem by uninstalling Uppdated Google Play Services then the app/ Video Is fine agin
2015-6-23
Use props
ScottyT
lvl.4

New Zealand

Fotonissen1 Posted at 2015-6-23 18:43
correct the problem by uninstalling Uppdated Google Play Services then the app/ Video Is fine agin

The interaction with Google Play Services is only one of the many problems with the app's coding.

Playing a 1080p or 4k video in VLC, even one produced by the P3 will have my tablet purring at a lowly 15-20% CPU usage (at a low frequency step) and it won't even start to heat up - 40C. The DJI Pilot app has to only display a low res 720p feed - not sure why it's being continually compared to a high end computer game as an excuse for its CPU usage and symptomatic heat dissipation when basically its main work load is simply displaying video being fed to it...

What am I missing here?

Again, the app idles consuming over 50% CPU resources, with a 30C temp increase with the P3 not even turned on - .i.e. it has next to no work to perform.
2015-6-23
Use props
alienranch
lvl.1
Flight distance : 142579 ft
United States

Video cuts on mine horribly even out only 50 meters - clear line of sight.
2015-6-23
Use props
Fotonissen1
lvl.1

Sweden

alienranch@mac. Posted at 2015-6-24 00:24
Video cuts on mine horribly even out only 50 meters - clear line of sight.

try to correct the problem by uninstalling Uppdated Google Play Services in the phone /tablet then the app/ Video Is fine/better after that. I do it on my samsung tab S it's  not perfekt like first app, but now i can fly again i  fly away 800 m yesterday  same video from 0 to 800m
2015-6-24
Use props
parralix
lvl.1

Spain

still cant use vps because no downgrade from 1.2.6 is allowed.. lousy customer service
2015-6-25
Use props
mavs88
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8953215 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

they can call it 3.1.0 as long as the firmware is the same as 1.1.9
2015-7-4
Use props
duke
lvl.1

United States

waiting...waiting...waiting...when???
2015-7-4
Use props
RollingTide77
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11322 ft
United States

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-6-19 06:04
Man Ed
what is the matter with you?  quit taking out your frustrations on us I asked for some help ...

Yea it's going to hurt them in the long run.   You can't tell me they don't have the money to greatly improve customer service and T & E for that matter.   I was a huge fan but seeing attitudes like this after spending $1,500 on new equipment is upsetting to say the least   
2015-7-8
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

RollingTide77 Posted at 2015-7-9 15:35
Yea it's going to hurt them in the long run.   You can't tell me they don't have the money to grea ...

I returned my p3,  Droneflyers.com and Ed will be glad to here this,  As I will no longer be complaining about my P3 not functioning correctly I ordered an inspire.  If I have problems with it I will be totally done with dji and I will send it back also. I have never heard such stupid things as drone flyer posts what an A$# H^%$.  How much more damage can these people possibly do to dji customer relationships.
2015-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules