7120 40 2020-6-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

I'am afraid that...

...the only safe way to sit your Mini is on its sides or bottom, the latter not being a way that you can use while charging a battery inside.

The other only good one is store it inside its Fly More combo case, taking extra care that the blades remain bundled together touching into each others, without getting pinched between the bump of the case and the Mavic Mini's body.

This to add one more option to how the bent / warped propellers problem originates.
2020-6-1
Use props
Zbip57
lvl.4

Canada

The motors are angled outward.  With the props swung outboard, you can see how high the tips are.  With the props swung inboard the Mini will rest on the prop tips and bend them.  Even when supported properly in the Fly More case, forcing the blades to cross over/under each other causes the blades to bend.

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
2020-6-1
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

Got your point... it's a miracle of fragility this Mavic Mini ! ... the glass drone.

Actually... no. I just stored it with crossed blades ever since I got it and it's always worked flawlessly, despite some mishaps on my part. Great little drone.
2020-6-1
Use props
Zbip57
lvl.4

Canada

Mine was always stored with the blades crossed in the Fly More case since December and the blades folded easily together.  I got the Motor Speed Error first time flying with the latest v01.00.0500 firmware update, which told me to replace the left-rear propeller blades.  I ended up changing the right-rear and left-front as well.
It was only with brand new props installed that I could see how far the rear blades actually stand away from the Mini's body when the blades are turned inward like this.  With fresh blades on both rear motors you can see the tips actually cross, rather than slide easily to mesh together.  The new blades must be forced to bend over/under each other to fit into the Fly More case now.  It's my belief that forcing them to fit into the case is what causes the blades to bend and deform, eventually triggering the Motor Speed Error warning.

Rear-left.jpg
Rear-right.jpg
Rears.jpg
2020-6-1
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I never use the case. My Wife uses it for her gym materials. Both Minis stay opened on shelves in a cabinet marked "For Drone Use Only!"
2020-6-1
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

GaryDoug Posted at 6-1 19:22
I never use the case. My Wife uses it for her gym materials. Both Minis stay opened on shelves in a cabinet marked "For Drone Use Only!"

Same here Gary, my MM has its own place next to my computer.
And i never use the original case, bought a PGYtech one; smaller and better.

cheers
JJB
2020-6-1
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

I store mine fully open in a custom built foam case carefully setup so the top of the case pushes gentle on the top of the mini holding it firm but the propellers sit without pressure in custom slots. I just purchased one of the cheap pelican replica cases and removed foam squares to suit. I do think dji should have been more careful with how the propellers on the mini are stored given all the issues I hear being caused. Never had any issues with my drone it is an amazing little bundle of joy! :-)
2020-6-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Good one!!
2020-6-2
Use props
Richard Hopkins
lvl.4
Flight distance : 923406 ft
United States

I use a rubber band the length of the Mini what gently holds the propellers in place, when stored in the FLY more case. First set that came with the Mini got bent newbie did not know, got the Motor Speed Error. Changed the propellers went away! Great tip for someone that does not know about that!
2020-6-2
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

same here, haven't folded up my mini since I unfolded it during boxing.  just simply doesn't need to be folded; for me there's never a valid overriding reason to do so.  some people like to fold it up because it cool, others fold it out of habit, and then some fold it because they can.  to me, if you need the space or you need to fold it because it's too big to do something with it otherwise, that's cool.  otherwise just carry it or transport it as it.  don't you remember when the days when you carried a non-folding drone that was actually bigger?  to be honest, I have attachments on my drone legs like strobes that are semi-permanent and therefore folding is not an option for me.
2020-6-2
Use props
djiuser_fWnm15REJJ7X
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16736 ft
United States

Zbip57 Posted at 6-1 18:35
Mine was always stored with the blades crossed in the Fly More case since December and the blades folded easily together.  I got the Motor Speed Error first time flying with the latest v01.00.0500 firmware update, which told me to replace the left-rear propeller blades.  I ended up changing the right-rear and left-front as well.
It was only with brand new props installed that I could see how far the rear blades actually stand away from the Mini's body when the blades are turned inward like this.  With fresh blades on both rear motors you can see the tips actually cross, rather than slide easily to mesh together.  The new blades must be forced to bend over/under each other to fit into the Fly More case now.  It's my belief that forcing them to fit into the case is what causes the blades to bend and deform, eventually triggering the Motor Speed Error warning.

I always have my mini in the case 4 month and olso update  firmware   and at this time no error motor .
2020-6-2
Use props
Zbip57
lvl.4

Canada

djiuser_fWnm15REJJ7X Posted at 6-2 10:45
I always have my mini in the case 4 month and olso update  firmware   and at this time no error motor .

I'd really be interested to see your motor speeds plotted from the DAT file doing a hover test.

This is what mine looked like after replacing the props on the left-rear, right-rear, and left-front.  Only the right-front is still original.  Now all the motors turn at relatively the same speed while hovering, just under 10,000 rpm.

New-L-Front--Takeoff-Hover-Land.jpg
2020-6-2
Use props
Raymacke
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1481995 ft
United States

Mine has lived in the Fly More case since purchase in December with never a problem. I like the small case as it is easier to transport on my motorcycle or store in our RV where space is limited. I bought a folding drone to fold. I will say I am very careful about the blades and have a 3D printed clip that holds them in position. And they still look similar to the photos above.

Zbip57 - what app is used to generate the motor speed graph above?
2020-6-2
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103091 ft
United States

Raymacke Posted at 6-2 20:21
Mine has lived in the Fly More case since purchase in December with never a problem. I like the small case as it is easier to transport on my motorcycle or store in our RV where space is limited. I bought a folding drone to fold. I will say I am very careful about the blades and have a 3D printed clip that holds them in position. And they still look similar to the photos above.

Zbip57 - what app is used to generate the motor speed graph above?

Pretty much everyone has stored their mini in the fly more case without an issue. But that will not stop some from finding solutions to problems that don't exist.
2020-6-2
Use props
Zbip57
lvl.4

Canada

"Zbip57 - what app is used to generate the motor speed graph above?"
It is CsvView from https://datfile.net/

2020-6-3
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wouldn't have a problem with using the case or folding up the Mini if it was necessary for transports reasons. But I just haven't needed that quite yet.
2020-6-3
Use props
jwp721
lvl.3
Flight distance : 332822 ft
United States

I think this whole bent prop issue has been blown up a little too much.   Haven’t paid any attention to how my blades are stored and have had my share of encounters with tree limbs and even 2x4 house framing lumber with no major flying issues.  Only after my props got enough nicks and dents in them that caused an audible difference in performance did I finally switch out my props for the first time. Even then the flight characteristics didn’t change, but the sound did improve so I know the damaged props were causing a little difference.  But nothing unexplainable like sudden drops or the like....

2020-6-4
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

I always store mine in the case, but before putting it there I make sure the blade are properly oriented so that the mini does not sit on them. I update for the new firmware but used the computer application, not the dji fly. Everything work well, no error.  If you store it properly in the fly more combo case, there won't be any problem with the blades because nothing push on them. It's an empty space just under the blades. Same thing goes for the top propellers.
2020-6-5
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

Hail Daniella... wondering if you've acquired your 3d part on your nickname. (see attachment)
71924305.E8iVyXw9._MG_053001s_sign.jpg
2020-6-5
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

Deucalion Posted at 6-2 20:38
Pretty much everyone has stored their mini in the fly more case without an issue. But that will not stop some from finding solutions to problems that don't exist.

Storing open in custom case with phone and controller attached allows you to throw in the back of the car and deploy super fast that's the other reason I do it also unfolding and folding those arms all the time on the seemingly fragile mini is avoided. Not so good for carrying on a motorbike where space is a premium.
2020-6-5
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

m80116 Posted at 6-5 14:40
Hail Daniella... wondering if you've acquired your 3d part on your nickname. (see attachment)

Hi, not sure what you are asking but yes that is my signature. Where did you get it?

the 3d comes from one of my main interest, doing 3d artwork. I started doing 3d work on 3d studio, on DOS. Now I do it for fun.

2020-6-5
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

Wow... this is WONDERFUL I do remember you had an XT with long lenses, posting on DPReview forums. I happen to have saved a couple of them (pictures).

I wasn't expecting to discover your multi faceted talent after all these years. But... I was wondering what you may have been able to do with a drone, because I am sure the results should be pretty amazing.

Glad to see you here. Cheers!
2020-6-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there m80116. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this informative video fro the DJI Mavic Mini. Thank you and please stay safe always.
2020-6-8
Use props
9to5Voyager
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7064364 ft
United States

The Saint Posted at 6-2 10:25
same here, haven't folded up my mini since I unfolded it during boxing.  just simply doesn't need to be folded; for me there's never a valid overriding reason to do so.  some people like to fold it up because it cool, others fold it out of habit, and then some fold it because they can.  to me, if you need the space or you need to fold it because it's too big to do something with it otherwise, that's cool.  otherwise just carry it or transport it as it.  don't you remember when the days when you carried a non-folding drone that was actually bigger?  to be honest, I have attachments on my drone legs like strobes that are semi-permanent and therefore folding is not an option for me.

What about traveling?
2020-6-14
Use props
9to5Voyager
lvl.3
United States

jwp721 Posted at 6-4 08:19
I think this whole bent prop issue has been blown up a little too much.   Haven’t paid any attention to how my blades are stored and have had my share of encounters with tree limbs and even 2x4 house framing lumber with no major flying issues.  Only after my props got enough nicks and dents in them that caused an audible difference in performance did I finally switch out my props for the first time. Even then the flight characteristics didn’t change, but the sound did improve so I know the damaged props were causing a little difference.  But nothing unexplainable like sudden drops or the like....

Okay, cool. I was starting to get a little worried from all the other comments! I have gotten that "propeller spinning too fast" error already, but only once, and it didn't actually affect the Mini's flight. I'll be very conscientious of how I store it from now on.
2020-6-14
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

9to5Voyager Posted at 6-14 11:03
What about traveling?

mini travels unfolded.  it's not that big.
2020-6-15
Use props
9to5Voyager
lvl.3
United States

The Saint Posted at 6-15 17:37
mini travels unfolded.  it's not that big.

You want to put an unfolded Mini into your travel pack and take it on the plane...
2020-6-15
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

9to5Voyager Posted at 6-15 19:44
You want to put an unfolded Mini into your travel pack and take it on the plane...

hi sorry but my mini will never travel with me on a plane.  but yes, I would take it with me international if necessary and then yes I would strip it down and fold it up, sure.
2020-6-15
Use props
9to5Voyager
lvl.3
United States

The Saint Posted at 6-15 19:48
hi sorry but my mini will never travel with me on a plane.  but yes, I would take it with me international if necessary and then yes I would strip it down and fold it up, sure.

Fair enough. I do a lot of traveling and part of the reason I got this little guy is to bring with me in my backpack. But that's a good point about stripping it down. I'm assuming that's just taking the propellers off, right?
2020-6-15
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

9to5Voyager Posted at 6-15 19:51
Fair enough. I do a lot of traveling and part of the reason I got this little guy is to bring with me in my backpack. But that's a good point about stripping it down. I'm assuming that's just taking the propellers off, right?

no I have strobe lights and a locator buzzer and landing gear attached to the drone so those all have to come off.
2020-6-16
Use props
Cobra_rc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 826417 ft
United States

I solved described problem with printed propeller guards. I use them from the beginning.
Propeller blades have enough space and remains not pushed.

2020-6-18
Use props
Big9erfan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10951 ft
United States

Cobra_rc Posted at 6-18 05:21
I solved described problem with printed propeller guards. I use them from the beginning.
Propeller blades have enough space and remains not pushed.

Like you, I had some prop clips printed.  Mine are these though: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3987790

They are small enough it fits in the fly more case still, but rigid enough that they props don't bend.  I'm quite happy with them.
2020-6-18
Use props
djiuser_0sznpSoW5hVC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 314820 ft
Canada

This is why I use my old DJI Spark case
2020-6-18
Use props
Zbip57
lvl.4

Canada

Have a look at the photos that I put up in post #2 & #4 above.

The prop deformation can be a result of simply forcing the prop blades to cross over each other when stored folded.  Yes, the various types of propeller guards sold will hold the blades in their stowed position, ensuring they always fit "properly" into the storage case.  But the mere process of forcing the blades to nest together like this is what's causing the blades to deform.

My Mini was always stored "properly" in its Fly More case since December.  The blades always nested together very easily, sliding over/under each other like butter.  It was only after receiving the Motor Speed Error warning and replacing the original blades with a fresh set that I noticed the tips of the new rear blades cross.  The new propeller blades will not easily nest together unless one side is forced under/over the other side.  That is what is causing the blade deflection.

Even brand new Minis straight out of the box have reported Motor Speed Error warnings.  It is a result of them being stored and shipped in a box with the arms folded and prop blades crossed.  The rear motors are quite obviously mounted at an angle canted outwards (see those photos).  If the blades are straight (like the new blades are), then clearly the tips of the blades will cross when folded together.  If your rear blades slides effortlessly together when nested, then one side or the other must already be bent.

If you do not believe or do not trust the Motor Speed Error warning to be accurate, it is a simple enough process to do your own hover test and plot the motor speeds as shown in post #13 above.  That graph documents my Mini's motor speeds with fresh props installed on each motor, except the right-front which still has the original pair of blades installed.  

2020-6-19
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

What I can tell you Zbip57 and I was noticing the other day, I always end up with my rear left motor blades being on top of the right as they slide easily on top of the other pair (but not vice versa) and are not squashed.

I've wondered how, why... but haven't thought about it, in the meantime I've always folded the props that way. Also to be noticed, when I disassembled the props for inspection a month ago (comparison pictures in this forum) they are absolutely profiled liked a brand new sealed blades set in a rigid cardboard box, and I know those are perfect. Thus I can conclude my way of storing the Mini hasn't changed the blades' profile.
2020-6-19
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes I agree that is something to look into.
2020-6-19
Use props
Zbip57
lvl.4

Canada

m80116 Posted at 6-19 14:52
What I can tell you Zbip57 and I was noticing the other day, I always end up with my rear left motor blades being on top of the right as they slide easily on top of the other pair (but not vice versa) and are not squashed.

I've wondered how, why... but haven't thought about it, in the meantime I've always folded the props that way. Also to be noticed, when I disassembled the props for inspection a month ago (comparison pictures in this forum) they are absolutely profiled liked a brand new sealed blades set in a rigid cardboard box, and I know those are perfect. Thus I can conclude my way of storing the Mini hasn't changed the blades' profile.

"[...] Thus I can conclude my way of storing the Mini hasn't changed the blades' profile."

I've flown my Mini since December, and travelled with it always stored in the Fly More case, and never had a problem.  I certainly never had the dreaded Uncommanded Descent.  Sure, I saw the occasional "Max Power" warnings but ignored them like everyone else.  But I received the Motor Speed Error warning on my first flight after upgrading to firmware v01.00.0500.

Unlike some people on here who immediately dismiss such nuisance warnings as defective firmware, I wondered whether DJI had a good reason to introduce this new warning feature.  I read what people were saying on this and other forums and found out that it's possible to analyze your own flight log data and run a simple hover test to see for yourself whether your motors are running at too fast speeds.  Sure enough, the data showed my left-rear motor hit 16,000 rpm during the flight that triggered the Motor Speed Error warning, which warning specifically recommended changing the propeller blades on that motor.

There was nothing visibly wrong with any of the blades.  Even holding the new blades next to the old blades, I didn't see any obvious difference. But, after replacing the original blades with fresh new blades, the hover tests conclusively demonstrated a reduction in motor speed with new blades installed.  Furthermore, with the new blades installed there is an immediately noticeable difference in that tips of the fresh blades now cross, whereas the old blades slid easily to nest together when folded.

Again, here's the photo of the new blades installed on my rear motors.  They will not nest together unless one side is depressed to slide under the other side.

People have reported receiving the Motor Speed Error warning on brand new Minis, straight out of the box.  Others have reported replacing the prop blades only to receive the same warning again a few flights later.  I'm asking, do you store your Mini with the blades folded together?  If you've received the Motor Speed Error warning, or even never received the warning, have you ever done the hover test and plotted the motor speeds to confirm for yourself whether the props are running true?

These other four images were posted by someone else.  It shows a brand new Mini, straight out of the box.  Note, this is not a Fly More case.  It's the plastic shipping box, in which non-Fly More Minis are shipped with the arms folded and blades crossed.  There is a paper band around the props to ensure they remain seated "properly" within the recessed well so that the weight of the Mini is not resting on the props.  

The person who originally posted those photos noticed the gimbal cover was not properly closed and was asking if that's normal.  But I noticed instead how deformed the left-rear prop blades are.  Compare the last photo to my first photo.  In my photo the tips of brand new propeller blades are clearly crossed.  In the last photo of the brand new Mini you can see the tips of the blades of the right motor standing proud, whereas the tips of the left motor's blades are bent down forced to tuck under the right-side blades.

This is how brand new Minis are packaged and shipped.  Who knows how long the blades of the left-rear motor were stored deflected and bent like this before the box was eventually opened?  Do they spring back to stand as high as the right-side blades as soon as the paper band is removed, or are the left-side blades now permanently deformed to easily slide back under the other blades whenever the arms are folded and the blades returned to nest in their storage box or Fly More case?

More importantly, does it even matter if they're permanently deflected?  If you're getting a Motor Speed Error warning, I'd say it does matter.  People can choose to downgrade to a previous firmware version to avoid seeing the warning again.  Or they can ignore the warning believing that it's caused by defective firmware.  Or they could do something smart and run a hover test to plot their motor speeds to confirm for themselves whether there is an issue with their propeller blades.

If your left-rear motor is consistently running faster than all the others in a hover test, and your left-rear blades are the ones that are always tucked underneath when the arms are folded (or vice-versa), that would seem to point to a cause and effect correlation...

Rears Crossed

Rears Crossed

Sealed box

Sealed box

Plastic tray similare to Fly More case

Plastic tray similare to Fly More case

Paper bands

Paper bands

Right tips normal, left tips???

Right tips normal, left tips???
2020-6-20
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

I have ordered the Nanuk 909 for the Mini. I should receive it next week, but I guess I will have to modify it a bit so the drone does not rest on the propeller underneath. From looking at the pictures of it, it's not meant well for sitting the drone, it just sit on the bottom.
2020-6-20
Use props
DeafMacBoi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7848 ft

United States

Design flaw? Maybe they are working on new design for new Mini 2?
2020-6-20
Use props
brotha
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6660 ft

Indonesia

Is it safe to store it with the propellers off?
3-2 01:31
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules