Mavic Pro 2 not stable hovering
3843 14 2020-6-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DaniBoi
lvl.1
United States

Hey, I've had my drone for about a year, and it's been doing very great,
however latley i've noticed that when it hovers it's not as stable as it used to be, now it moves slightly left and right, and up and down, not horribly, but enough that it's noticeable, (i'd say the difference between it before and now is as big as when you switch the positioning off, as with it on) I googled it and it seemed to have been a bigger problem with the old Mavic Pro's, but mine seems to have the exact same issue. it's not a problem for big wide landscape shots, but annoying for closer birdseye shots as maintaining the shot stable is annoying, or when i lift off as it'll pull to a side, i've calibrated everything, including remote IMU and compass, and i'm sure it's not wind as i tried it inside my house aswell,  i'm not exactly sure if it's hardware or software issue, please let me know if anyone knows what the problem could be.
Thanks Alot
2020-6-3
Use props
KDP +
Second Officer
Flight distance : 947930 ft
Belgium

Hello DaniBoi,

Just an idea : did you make a test with another battery...?
2020-6-3
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

When I encounter anything similar, I just refresh my firmware on assistant, let the drone cool down then do an IMU calibration, sorts it out.
2020-6-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

when it hovers it's not as stable as it used to be, now it moves slightly left and right, and up and down, not horribly, but enough that it's noticeable
It's impossible for anyone to tell much about your issue since you haven't given any details.
Are you just seeing this because you are hovering over an unsuitable spot for the VPS to lock onto?
Does it still happen >30 ft up?
A small amount of wandering is normal.

Is it more than the specs indicate for stability in hover?

Hovering Accuracy Range
Vertical:
± 0.1 m (when vision positioning is active)
± 0.5 m (with GPS positioning)
Horizontal:
± 0.3 m (when vision positioning is active)
± 1.5 m (with GPS positioning)

2020-6-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Try an IMU calibration on as very flat surface.  Check the surface with a spirit level before you start.
2020-6-4
Use props
DaniBoi
lvl.1
Germany

KDP + Posted at 6-3 10:49
Hello DaniBoi,

Just an idea : did you make a test with another battery...?

Hey, Yes I've tried it with a total of 3 different batteries, all the same
2020-6-4
Use props
DaniBoi
lvl.1
Germany

Labroides Posted at 6-3 23:22
when it hovers it's not as stable as it used to be, now it moves slightly left and right, and up and down, not horribly, but enough that it's noticeable
It's impossible for anyone to tell much about your issue since you haven't given any details.
Are you just seeing this because you are hovering over an unsuitable spot for the VPS to lock onto?

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmcPIXJTKg6XlrgIhW2Hj0S8Hk3JXg?e=0eh5Uk
Hey, sorry it's my first time posting on this forum, and don't know which details to give, here's a link where you can see the movement happening inside, I'd think this is the most suitable place for the VPS to lock onto, yet the image still moves quite a bit, again, it's not horrible, but it's enough to be pretty annoying, while this video is taken from pretty low, it happens no matter the height or flight setting.

2020-6-4
Use props
DaniBoi
lvl.1
Germany

Suren Posted at 6-3 21:01
When I encounter anything similar, I just refresh my firmware on assistant, let the drone cool down then do an IMU calibration, sorts it out.

I always do an IMU calibration, also on extremely level surface, however whats the "firmware on assistant" how do I refresh that?
2020-6-4
Use props
DaniBoi
lvl.1
Germany

DAFlys Posted at 6-4 00:52
Try an IMU calibration on as very flat surface.  Check the surface with a spirit level before you start.

Hi, yes , I've done at least 3 IMU calibrations, on an extremely level surface, Used a level to make sure it was very even, it doesn't matter, as it makes no changes
2020-6-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DaniBoi Posted at 6-4 05:36
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmcPIXJTKg6XlrgIhW2Hj0S8Hk3JXg?e=0eh5Uk
Hey, sorry it's my first time posting on this forum, and don't know which details to give, here's a link where you can see the movement happening inside, I'd think this is the most suitable place for the VPS to lock onto, yet the image still moves quite a bit, again, it's not horrible, but it's enough to be pretty annoying, while this video is taken from pretty low, it happens no matter the height or flight setting.

it's my first time posting on this forum, and don't know which details to give
Well ... how much is the drone wandering?
Can you give some details?
Like is it drifting 10 feet horizontally either way and +/- 6 feet vertically?

Is it more than :
Vertical:
± 0.1 m (when vision positioning is active)
± 0.5 m (with GPS positioning)
Horizontal:
± 0.3 m (when vision positioning is active)
± 1.5 m (with GPS

A little wandering is normal.
Those numbers in the specs are what you can expect.

If you've done 3 IMU recalibrations, you've done at least 2 too many.
Stop messing around with the IMU.
It's not something that needs constant tweaking.

2020-6-4
Use props
USS ENTERPRISE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2063642 ft
South Korea

MA drone        
2020-6-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DaniBoi Posted at 6-4 05:41
I always do an IMU calibration, also on extremely level surface, however whats the "firmware on assistant" how do I refresh that?

Connect the drone you a computer, download the DJI Assistant software and there is an option to refresh the firmware.
2020-6-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DaniBoi Posted at 6-4 05:43
Hi, yes , I've done at least 3 IMU calibrations, on an extremely level surface, Used a level to make sure it was very even, it doesn't matter, as it makes no changes

Also check that the props are in good condition and haven't got slightly bent.
2020-6-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there DaniBoi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. I will post a link where in you can see the most recent DJI Assistant 2 for the DJI Mavic 2Pro ( https://www.dji.com/downloads/softwares/assistant-dji-2-for-mavic ) and an official DJI tutorial video on how to to calibrate the IMU of the DJI Mavic 2. Thank you.

2020-6-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 6-5 01:30
Connect the drone you a computer, download the DJI Assistant software and there is an option to refresh the firmware.

Wouldn't it make more sense to find out what the issue is (if there is an issue) rather than guessing and recommending random stuff just to do something?
Would you like your doctor or mechanic to work that way?
2020-6-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules