Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
PL (commercial) drone insurance in the new open category
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bornandraised71
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi all, I have just upgraded to a new Mavic Air 2 from a pro, and have been pondering the new regulation changes that were set for July, (but will now be November).

I am still scratching my head regarding Public Liability insurance (PL) - not specific insurance to cover my drones value - the CAA state they are looking at drone insurance as the (EC) 785/2004 was never meant for drones, and the current commercial category will cease in November with the new open class. I have read comments from the CAA and UK govt stating that drone commercial insurance needs to be reviewed, and may or may not be a legal requirement in the future.

My new air2 fits into the A1/C1 category I believe, and requires DRES, but there is no longer a commercial category for this class. Although the CAA states all commercial activity with a Drone needs PL, that was a pre-November statement which included the commercial class regs, where do we stand post November, I can't find anything declaring the PL insurance in respect of the new EASA open class post November?

The CAA points out that all drones that are not being used for sport or recreation must be PL insured.  
As the commercial category will no longer exist, what checks are there?
The DRES doesnt have a check box or valid insurance requrement.
Will the CAA check the open category, have they any route to check if that drones being used for commercial purposes?
As the open category has exploded with new users, how are they going to enforce this?
Especially if say estate agents / building inspectors / etc can now buy and operate outside of the commercial category?

2020-6-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My understanding is that the Air 2 will fall into the legacy category as the drone has to be classified at time of manufacture and doesn't just fit a category and cannot be classified later unless a new model/revision is released. Like the CE mark it has to be printed on the drone in someway.  Luckily there is a transition period that means this isn't a problem until 2022.
2020-6-4
Use props
Bornandraised71
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 6-4 01:40
My understanding is that the Air 2 will fall into the legacy category as the drone has to be classified at time of manufacture and doesn't just fit a category and cannot be classified later unless a new model/revision is released. Like the CE mark it has to be printed on the drone in someway.  Luckily there is a transition period that means this isn't a problem until 2022.

Thanks, I stupidly presumed that looking at the specs it fitted the A1/C1 category, so that is where it sits for regs purposes, rather than it needed to be officially stamped C1 when I bought it.

- typical CAA / EU nutty regulations!

So that means for me to use it now in any congested areas (closer than 150m horizontally), I have to have a A2 CofC (and DRES) even though the Air 2 does does meet the criteria set out by the CAA and EU in C1. And as I have bought it beforehand, its legacy and as such will need A2 CofC regadless of DJI obtaining C1 in the future.
2020-6-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bornandraised71 Posted at 6-4 03:28
Thanks, I stupidly presumed that looking at the specs it fitted the A1/C1 category, so that is where it sits for regs purposes, rather than it needed to be officially stamped C1 when I bought it.

- typical CAA / EU nutty regulations!

Unless the EU changes the rules,  Yes.  Sad isn't it.
2020-6-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules