Mavic Mini SD card error after saving first couple pics?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mivox
lvl.1

United States

This has been a problem since the first time I tried taking photos with my Mini (which I bought secondhand, but it has a Care Refresh plan). I can take one or two photos, or a video, and then I get an SD card error. It will still let me take photos after the error occurs, but when I go to download the photos to my phone the DJI app only shows the photos that were taken before the error... all the other files show as "camera raw" format, and I cannot access them.

However, it is still taking perfectly good photos! If I plug the SD card into an external card reader and run data recovery on it with my laptop, I can access all the "camera raw" photos that way (and they are not RAW files, they're jpgs like normal). So, technically, the drone IS taking photos and saving them to the card, but seems to be messing up the addressing/encoding for the image files. I would rather not have to run a 2 hour data recovery routine on the card every time I take photos, so any ideas how to sort this out? I've kept my firmware updated every time it notified me an update was needed, and I've reformatted the card both with my laptop and with the drone, and the problem is the same every time I try to use it.

2020-6-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there mivox. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Can you please try using a different SD card to see if the issue will still persist and for us to be able to isolate the said issue? For reference I will post the specifications and the list of Supported SD cards for the DJI Mavic Mini. Thank you.

2020-6-4
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Sounds like you are using a fruit machine, typical of problems with them. Never format the SD card in your computer, only in the aircraft. Check in the camera settings, it sounds like you may have it set up to take RAW+JPEG shots.
2020-6-4
Use props
mivox
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 6-4 21:28
Sounds like you are using a fruit machine, typical of problems with them. Never format the SD card in your computer, only in the aircraft. Check in the camera settings, it sounds like you may have it set up to take RAW+JPEG shots.

Perhaps you missed it in my post, but I have also formatted the card in the drone, and had the same problem when I did it that way.

And having it set to save both raw + jpg shots shouldn't cause it to not work properly, if that is an available setting? I'll try different settings though, and see if one of them works and another doesn't. That would at least maybe narrow down where the problem is. Thanks.
2020-6-5
Use props
mivox
lvl.1

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-4 19:38
Hello there mivox. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Can you please try using a different SD card to see if the issue will still persist and for us to be able to isolate the said issue? For reference I will post the specifications and the list of Supported SD cards for the DJI Mavic Mini. Thank you.

[view_image]

If I recall correctly, it is a 128GB SanDisk Extreme, but I will double check when I get home exactly which sub-model it is. Thank you for the list!
2020-6-5
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

mivox Posted at 6-5 15:40
Perhaps you missed it in my post, but I have also formatted the card in the drone, and had the same problem when I did it that way.

And having it set to save both raw + jpg shots shouldn't cause it to not work properly, if that is an available setting? I'll try different settings though, and see if one of them works and another doesn't. That would at least maybe narrow down where the problem is. Thanks.

My point is to NOT format in your computer, the computer has no idea what format to use, whereas the drone knows exactly which format is right. As for the RAW thing, I just realised you have a Mini, and the Mini does not take RAW images at all according to the specs.
2020-6-5
Use props
mivox
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 6-5 16:01
My point is to NOT format in your computer, the computer has no idea what format to use, whereas the drone knows exactly which format is right. As for the RAW thing, I just realised you have a Mini, and the Mini does not take RAW images at all according to the specs.

The utility app on my computer lets me choose what format to use. Nonetheless, I formatted it using the drone the FIRST two times (out of fear of formatting conflicts), and only tried using the computer after having the SD card error happen twice with onboard formatting.

So, I promise, up down and sideways, I HAVE tried formatting the card with the drone itself. Then I made SURE to check formatting requirements before using my computer, and I used the filesystem specified by DJI (exFAT, per: https://www.dji.com/mavic-mini/specs). I experience the same problem whether I format the card with the drone or with my computer.
2020-6-5
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

mivox Posted at 6-5 16:43
The utility app on my computer lets me choose what format to use. Nonetheless, I formatted it using the drone the FIRST two times (out of fear of formatting conflicts), and only tried using the computer after having the SD card error happen twice with onboard formatting.

So, I promise, up down and sideways, I HAVE tried formatting the card with the drone itself. Then I made SURE to check formatting requirements before using my computer, and I used the filesystem specified by DJI (exFAT, per: https://www.dji.com/mavic-mini/specs). I experience the same problem whether I format the card with the drone or with my computer.

Ok, but what about my second point, if you have a Mavic Mini, it does not record still photos in RAW? And what size are these problem files?
2020-6-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

mivox Posted at 6-5 15:41
If I recall correctly, it is a 128GB SanDisk Extreme, but I will double check when I get home exactly which sub-model it is. Thank you for the list!

Hi there mivox. Thank you for the reply given. Please keep us posted for us to be able to assist you further. Thank you.
2020-6-8
Use props
mivox
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 6-5 19:03
Ok, but what about my second point, if you have a Mavic Mini, it does not record still photos in RAW? And what size are these problem files?

That's the bizarre part. The other files, when retrieved via data recovery, are the same size as the correctly saved jpgs, and they are shown by the data recovery software as jpgs. So, I don't know why the DJI Fly app labels them as RAW format. Probably because whatever is happening isn't something that is supposed to, so the phone app doesn't know what to do with them.
2020-6-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules