M2P Jittery Footage Despite All Efforts
433 6 2020-6-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans46513910
lvl.1

United States

Hello,

For those of you willing to download the 83 second clip I've provided a drop box link for to really see what I'm talking about here, THANK YOU. It is a screen recording video from my iPhone as I played the file through the media portion of the DJI app. (The original file was over 7GB) I've tried everything with my Mavic 2 Pro to try and get rid of this strange jittery/stuttering footage. I've tried ND filters and following the 180 shutter speed rule. I've tried every single different combination of camera settings. I've tried slowing down the gimbal control settings. I've tried recalibrating the gimbal and resetting all the drone settings. Nothing has worked. The footage looks amazing when the drone is flying forwards or backwards, up or down, and even while doing both simultaniously. HOWEVER, as soon as I try and pan the gimbal up or down while filming I get the jittery footage. Same thing happens when I pan the drone yaw from left to right or right to left. In the clip I've linked, I was using tripod mode and panning as slow as I possibly could, and the jittery footage is still there. It seems to come and go throughout a pan. I'm now strongly suspecting that this is a hardware issue because I've seen so much other amazing footage from M2Ps online that utilize the yaw and gimbal pan while filming and the footage is buttery smooth. I'm using a 128gb Sandisk Extreme Micro SD which was recommended for recording 4K footage on this specific drone. If anyone has any tips tricks or suggestions I would greatly appreacite it! Happy to answer any and all questions regarding my drone, its settings, etc.

227Mb Screen Recording From DJI App Media Drop Box Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wd4j9pq3zkxlngj/RPReplay_Final1591314420.MP4?dl=0

2020-6-4
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

What microSD card are you using? Is it suitable for 4K?
2020-6-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

OK, first things first, the SDS card will be fine, it cannot cause jittery footage, that is a myth.

Next, when you move the camera left or right, that is called 'panning', when you move it up or down it is called 'tilt'. It is not yaw or panning up and down.

It is relatively normal to get jerky motion when you pan a camera, particularly when you do it too fast, the cure for this is to use an ND filter and slow the shutter speed down to twice the frame rate, thus introducing motion blur. Pro film makers try to avoid panning shots if they can.

Do not judge the quality of your video material by looking at it on your phone or through the DJI app, as it is not the best quality. It can suffer from many artefacts and this low resolution copy is only intended to allow you to frame and expose your shots.

The ideal method is to pop the SD card out of the aircraft and copy the files onto the HDD or SDD on your computer. You can also connect the aircraft via a USB cable to the computer and copy them off that way. Do not copy them off to your phone then look at them, as you will not be seeing the true quality.

2020-6-22
Use props
djiuser_8pog1ZJFN6jl
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 2020-6-22 15:23
OK, first things first, the SDS card will be fine, it cannot cause jittery footage, that is a myth.

Next, when you move the camera left or right, that is called 'panning', when you move it up or down it is called 'tilt'. It is not yaw or panning up and down.

Hey, did you figure out how to fix this? I'm having the same issue...
2021-3-2
Use props
djiuser_8pog1ZJFN6jl
lvl.1

United States

Have you figured out how to fix this? I'm having the same issue
2021-3-2
Use props
djiuser_8pog1ZJFN6jl
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 2020-6-22 15:23

Should this also happen when "strafing" the drone very slowly from right to left? Particularly with subjects that are close by?

It also happens to me when I'm moving forward and passing a closeby subject. The subject starts to jitter as it moves out of the frame
2021-3-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

djiuser_8pog1ZJFN6jl Posted at 3-2 15:25
Should this also happen when "strafing" the drone very slowly from right to left? Particularly with subjects that are close by?

It also happens to me when I'm moving forward and passing a closeby subject. The subject starts to jitter as it moves out of the frame

It is a limitation of the type of video sensor chip used in the camera. And moving from right to left is called panning, there is no such term as 'strafing'. That refers to shooting objects with a gun in an aircraft.

2021-3-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules