Are you being affected by BAD USB cables from DJI ?
4863 12 2020-6-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Ok... I've told myself when I first saw my charging station intermittently charging, I must ensure I plug the cables all the way in. Unfortunately that wasn't the case. Over the course of my 7 months experience with the DJI Mavic Mini I've found out the hard way how bad some original DJI cables are.

The white cables, each identical to the other, seem a particular place where DJI cheaped out, using the old (less suitable to high current loads) Micro USB ports on the charging side, and not even a good one of those. My charging station has never been yanked with the cable attached and this happens...

https://youtu.be/w9Va3SykItc

My first (used every time since day one) cable does this intermittent connection every time, with a gentle push (both directions), my 2nd cable which has hardly seen any use does it just one way only. I plug one of my good quality cables and they fit perfectly, better the the original and those that have a little play don't lose connection, don't cause intermittent charging. This is especially good when the my charging station is recharging the batteries in the seat of my car as I travel, subject to typical road vibrations.

Now rewind back to December: I've lost my Mavic Mini... little did I know that when received my 2nd Mini I'd have to deal with the same issue that led to the loss of my first Mini (which was downed on its way back, probably by a piegeon).

https://youtu.be/gctzfIJYOwo
https://youtu.be/3h2BdP9tcr8
https://youtu.be/-d3p79-KpB8

It took another 2 months for DJI to acknowledge my problem and send in another USB OTG cable which was causing all these issues. By that time I had already sourced another cable on my own. Now... I don't know if my new OTG cable (I am using the newer replacamenet from DJI) has solved my problems for good or not, so far so good. It should be fine... but still using a DJI cable doesn't make me feel confident at this point. But I do know one thing:

My Mavic Mini experience has been RUINED for months by CHEAP and defective DJI cables. Whether that was USB OTG or the charging cables they were (and still are to this date) all defective. I appreciated a lot what DJI has done with the Fly Moro Combo, especially for the price point... but I would have greatly preferred one less box, one less cage but good QUALITY USB cables, and with the latest standard USB C port.
2020-6-4
Use props
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I personally haven't had any issues with my cables. I've had mine since December. But I don't put any pressure on the cable while using or charging. It's just a micro usb cable isn't it? Not really a big deal to replace.
2020-6-4
Use props
Occams Razor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 423497 ft
United States

I have not had any issues with the DJI supplied cables but I have learned that many companies will provide low quality cables with their products.  Therefore I have plenty of extra USB, mini-USB, micro-USB, USB C, lightning and mciro, mini and std HDMI cables and if I ever see a hint of potential cable issues, I will immediately switch them out.  Yes it's sad times where we have to anticipate sub-par support items but as a consumer I have lowered my expectations and the investment for back-up is relatively low.  Although I haven't had to use them, I have added Mini Propellers to my back up inventory.
2020-6-4
Use props
Peacepiper
New
Flight distance : 132228 ft
Australia

Occams Razor Posted at 6-4 17:43
I have not had any issues with the DJI supplied cables but I have learned that many companies will provide low quality cables with their products.  Therefore I have plenty of extra USB, mini-USB, micro-USB, USB C, lightning and mciro, mini and std HDMI cables and if I ever see a hint of potential cable issues, I will immediately switch them out.  Yes it's sad times where we have to anticipate sub-par support items but as a consumer I have lowered my expectations and the investment for back-up is relatively low.  Although I haven't had to use them, I have added Mini Propellers to my back up inventory.

I have had problems with the usb Micro-A female on the radio controller. It's mostly fine with supplied cables direct into my devices, but a normal usb micro plug into the radio don't result in connection. Adaptors and connectors also fail to connect when added to supplied cables (the usb micro a has symmetrical corners while the regular usb has 2 corners rounded)

DJI apparently has no longer cables, do you know where i. can get  the usb Micro-A (not normal micro ) to USB C and another usb Micro-A to USB micro?    thanks
2020-7-19
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Peacepiper Posted at 7-19 07:36
I have had problems with the usb Micro-A female on the radio controller. It's mostly fine with supplied cables direct into my devices, but a normal usb micro plug into the radio don't result in connection. Adaptors and connectors also fail to connect when added to supplied cables (the usb micro a has symmetrical corners while the regular usb has 2 corners rounded)

DJI apparently has no longer cables, do you know where i. can get  the usb Micro-A (not normal micro ) to USB C and another usb Micro-A to USB micro?    thanks

Here is the longer cable I am using from my Mini controller to my phone.  It is 11 inches log.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I needed the longer cable because I am using this tablet holder - not that I'm using a tablet, but with my phone case, it is too thick to fit in the slots of the controller.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2020-7-19
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

No.  Since, not using DJI cables.
2020-7-19
Use props
3Recon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4175541 ft
United States

It is to bad that DJI has lose leaders (cheap bulk parts) in the Mini packaging one of them being their "connectors" Like op posted. To my understanding and my Mini it started with the female micros usb A splitting, and the inconsistent connection for controller charging. I agree with others the factory supplied white cable is generic. How much did you save....Not enough to listen to us.
This being my start into flying drones, Love it by the way. I could put in a claim(refresh) on controller but after paying for service. I could pay for my own cable replacements  for same money and I'll have control over using my mini when I want too and not have to wait for them to be approved and return.
2020-7-20
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

3Recon assuming you are talking about a Mini's controller, if it is defective is it not still under warranty? If so, why would you submit a "refresh" claim  rather than make a warranty claim? The latter is surely free, is it not?
2020-7-21
Use props
Ralle
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11289 ft
Finland

Dirty Bird Posted at 7-21 07:29
With the exception of the custom short RC-to-device cables included with Mavic RCs, I never use or even unwrap the factory supplied USB cables.   Whether provided with a phone, Echo, tablet, or drone, they are always basic, thin, low-cost, & low quality.  I keep a couple appropriately-sized, quality, USB cables in each of my drone cases.  

A 6 pack of high-quality USB cables can be purchased for from $6 to $10 depending on desired length.   I usually purchase Sabrent or Anker brands.  You are saying that you allowed your entire Mini experience to be "RUINED for months" rather than spending a few bucks on quality cables?

I also haven't had any problems with DJI cables. Which makes them of poor quality?
2020-7-21
Use props
3Recon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4175541 ft
United States

Sean-newbie Posted at 7-21 05:19
3Recon assuming you are talking about a Mini's controller, if it is defective is it not still under warranty? If so, why would you submit a "refresh" claim  rather than make a warranty claim? The latter is surely free, is it not?

My Mini, Yes I'm being selfish on not wanting to send (refresh dji had approved for me to returned) my controller in for evaluation and possibly replacement and I want to continue flying when I'm able. Sorry for not being clear. Cable are so inexpensive.
This is due to the delay in service(what I've read) And here it is the World Pandemic
2020-7-21
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No you are NOT selfish for NOT wanting to pay for a repair if that repair is a warranty issue. I would say that you were being sensible. All praise to you.

If a repair is covered by warranty then there is no way I am going to waste a refesh 'repair' AND pay for it, when the repair is covered by warranty and DJI's reponsibility.
2020-7-21
Use props
djiuser_PE5OMRkU8B9l
lvl.1
Italy

Just bought a Ronin with usb-c cable for Sony camera damaged/not working
2021-4-15
Use props
djiuser_OnzUV1aRq71Y
lvl.1

United States

Mini 2 user here, also got a junk cable. Constantly lose connection with RC, and DJI says just buy a new one from us without any guarantee that the new one will work any better. They say they recommend using a dedicated DJI cable for 'best user experience' but I wouldn't call constantly losing control of my aircraft the best experience.
2021-6-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules