1719 8 2020-6-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Smashey1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 173422 ft
Ireland

Hi Gang,

I've a question about 3rd party filters. Is there any risk that these might unbalance the gimbal, or at least stress it more than necessary.

I'm guessing the frame that's fitted to the gimbal as standard is more than just cosmetic and serves as a balance weight, so that the DJI filters with glass in them closely match it for weight (and therefore dont shift the balance of the gimbal assembly). I see some 3rd party filters that look a lot more substantial - the Variable ones at least. If these are heavier do I risk over stressing the gimbal mechanism?

Whats been forum members experiences with other drones in the past??
2020-6-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Smashey1. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. I hope that you will get the best information from our valid DJI members who uses these 3rd Party Filters. Just a friendly reminder that we do not recommend you to use a 3rd party accessories on your DJI Mavic Air 2. Actually, there is a  possibility that these accessories will work, however, since it's not yet tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the reliability of the said accessory when in use. In addition using 3rd party accessories might cause damage or harm on your DJI Mavic Air 2 and can void the warranty as well. Thank you for your understanding and valued support.
2020-6-5
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

I used PolarPro with Spark. No problems.

I also ordered PolarPro polarizers for my Mavic Air 2 and am waiting for delivery.
DJI does not have polarizers for MA2 so we have no choice to buy theirs.

Mirek
2020-6-5
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 380978 ft
United Kingdom

Using Freewell ND's on the mini just the DJI set from the combo on the Air 2 presently.  No issues using the Freewell set but none are VND type.  Interested in the VND from PolarPro but waiting to see some early reviews as images look like the bezel might lead to a vignette it's difficult to tell not having one in hand.  One or two VND would suit me better than a box full of fixed ND especially when out on the motorcycle using a small tank bag.
2020-6-5
Use props
urbanweb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33963 ft
United Kingdom

I have the Skyreat 6 pack.  Arrived quickly to the UK. Very nice quality.  Not had chance to play yet though.  https://www.skyreat.com/product/ ... r-2-filters-6-pack/
2020-6-5
Use props
Smashey1
lvl.4
Ireland

I'd have to think that the established manufacturers have designed their 3rd party filters to work with the MA2's gimbal without over stressing it. The likes of Polar Pro (Moment have some on pre order too) might be my preferred choices - and DJI themselves if they release polarisers too.

However I read in another thread "Gimbal motor overload (out of the box)"  one of the contributors - rainbowcc2002 - had a gimbal issue that seamed to clear when he removed the 3rd party ND filter, but that may be down to his particular gimbal. I think I'll play with the DJI set I have for now and see how everyone else gets on before branching out.
2020-6-7
Use props
ET214
lvl.4
Flight distance : 634505 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've used all sorts of filters from Skyreat to Freewell, Polar Pro and Tiffen on my drones.
Currently on the Mavic Air 2 I'm using Skyreat in addition to the DJI supplied filters. They were the only ones in stock - freewell, pgytech and polarpro  were and are coming soon.
I did get the gimbal overload warning  with the Mavic Air 2 after a couple of minutes after putting one on. I just landed the drone and calibrated the gimbal with the filter on.

https://smile.amazon.com/stores/ ... 99&ref_=ast_bln

If it continues to happen just stop using the filters, but I have only experienced once, ( i normally recalibrate the gimbal when I first use the filter.

Hope this helps
2020-6-7
Use props
Smashey1
lvl.4
Ireland

ET214 Posted at 6-7 05:28
I've used all sorts of filters from Skyreat to Freewell, Polar Pro and Tiffen on my drones.
Currently on the Mavic Air 2 I'm using Skyreat in addition to the DJI supplied filters. They were the only ones in stock - freewell, pgytech and polarpro  were and are coming soon.
I did get the gimbal overload warning  with the Mavic Air 2 after a couple of minutes after putting one on. I just landed the drone and calibrated the gimbal with the filter on.

Thanks - Yes, recalibrating the gimbal with the 3rd party filter fitted makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the tip.
2020-6-7
Use props
ET214
lvl.4
Flight distance : 634505 ft
  • >>>
United States

Smashey1 Posted at 6-7 12:01
Thanks - Yes, recalibrating the gimbal with the 3rd party filter fitted makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the tip.

you're welcome!
Happy flying!
2020-6-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules