New Mavic Air 2 problem
2978 18 2020-6-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rhexis
lvl.2

United States

hi i just purchased the air 2 last wednesday as an upgrade to my p3p.  flew it for about 20 minutes on thursday and it flew great was very pleased but this morning there is something wrong with it.  it started normally and connected to the controller and then i initiated an auto takeoff.  the mavic rose up and hovered as expected.  i then pushed up the left stick to give it some altitude and it inverted then cut the motors and hit the ground.  after the shock wore off i turned it off as well as the controller and restarted it.  thinking i had done something stupid, i restarted it and the controller and did a manual take off.  i had it about 6 feet in the air and it felt very sluggish.  keeping it at the same height i pressed the record button on the controller to get some video.  as soon as i hit that button the mavic again inverted and the props stopped and it hit the ground.
the controller is not connecting now and there are 4 red lights on the mavic and the gimble constantly rotatates like its in start up mode.  i connected the controller to the computer and confirmed the latest firmware was installed.  i exported out the dat file.  i tried connecting the mavic but it just cycles like its connecting then disconnects.  i see the usb drive for a few seconds then it goes away.  any ideas what could have happened?
2020-6-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

That doesn’t sound right, and I would be looking at returning for a replacement. You could try doing a factory reset as a last resort before returning.
You will need to do on dji assistant.
2020-6-6
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
Flight distance : 5966247 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can you provide the .DAT from the controller? You'll need to use a public sharing site like Dropbox or GoogleDrive.
2020-6-6
Use props
rhexis
lvl.2

United States

hey thanks for getting back to me.  its just very odd.  it flew great on thursday.  here is a link to the dat file i got off the controller.  i have started a case with dji.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gnXQLJj8tSKjthR_Cka-PEnuxCAUgG-5/view?usp=sharing
2020-6-6
Use props
rhexis
lvl.2

United States

the mavic wont connect with the assistant but the controller will.  not sure if i want to even factory reset it the thing is brand new only flew once on thursday.
2020-6-6
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
Flight distance : 5966247 ft
  • >>>
United States

rhexis Posted at 6-6 06:52
hey thanks for getting back to me.  its just very odd.  it flew great on thursday.  here is a link to the dat file i got off the controller.  i have started a case with dji.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gnXQLJj8tSKjthR_Cka-PEnuxCAUgG-5/view?usp=sharing

That .DAT was created by DJI Assistant 2? If so, it's encrypted. Try these instructions to get the .DAT recorded by the Fly App.
Retrieving a V3.DAT from the tablet
2020-6-6
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United Kingdom

Just to check the simple things, you do have the correct props on each motor?
2020-6-6
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Props if wrong the AC won't take off!!

RETURN RETURN RETURN
2020-6-6
Use props
rhexis
lvl.2

United States

BudWalker Posted at 6-6 07:19
That .DAT was created by DJI Assistant 2? If so, it's encrypted. Try these instructions to get the .DAT recorded by the Fly App.
Retrieving a V3.DAT from the tablet

yep used the assistant 2 app.  didnt know it was encrypted.  let me look on my phone and see if its there
2020-6-6
Use props
rhexis
lvl.2

United States

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 6-6 07:28
Just to check the simple things, you do have the correct props on each motor?

yep they were installed correctly thats the first thing i thought when it inverted and crashed the first time.  not sure why the motors stopped but it inverted really quickly and cut power then gravity did its magic.  only fell the first time 3-4 feet the second time about 6 feet but both times inverted then props stopped.  
2020-6-6
Use props
rhexis
lvl.2

United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 6-6 07:39
Props if wrong the AC won't take off!!

RETURN RETURN RETURN

yep just dropped it at ups i have the care refresh on it but im thinking this is a warranty claim ive had my p3p for a few years probably 500 flights so its not my first rodeo with these things.  
2020-6-6
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

rhexis Posted at 6-6 06:54
the mavic wont connect with the assistant but the controller will.  not sure if i want to even factory reset it the thing is brand new only flew once on thursday.

This, in my opinion, is a very clear case for warranty replacement.
Don't try to understand what happened - it is probably a waste of time and you will not be able to trust your drone again.
Just contact DJI Support.

MIrek
2020-6-6
Use props
B737ng
lvl.3
Flight distance : 297106 ft
Ireland

Ok, Dont panic.

No need for replacement.  The issue here is the Software and DJI needs to do something about it.

My Air 2 did exactly the same thing . It took off, and the gave gimball error. The restared the unit, it took off and then just violently crash landed straight down. Luckily from only 2 feet height so no damage.

I have then refreshed the firmware with DJI Assistant , calibrated IMU, Calibrated gimbal and the compass.

The drone has been fine since, infact much much better. It flies really well and I had no further dramas after full calibrations

I suspect that this drone needs to be fully calibrated right out of the box, and infact DJI also recommends this, but I believe not many people are doing it, hence the little troubles.
2020-6-6
Use props
rhexis
lvl.2

United States

B737ng Posted at 6-6 08:08
Ok, Dont panic.

No need for replacement.  The issue here is the Software and DJI needs to do something about it.

i didnt do a compass or imu calibration on it.  like i said on thursday it few great.  before ever flying it i went through all the screens and both imu and compass said normal.  today i flew it in my backyard the same location as thursday i read that the compass doesnt need to be calibrated unless  you fly it 30 miles or more from the last location.  it still doesnt explain why when i hit the record button on the controller it inverted and the motors shut down.  there is something majorly wrong with it now its with ups.  im bummed.  
2020-6-6
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes,  This should be WARRANTY replacement.

Tight motors can HOVER......but when you throttle up, they'll draw too much for the ESCs and if they DON't spin up as expected, then she turns over......shutting down the other motors.

Good luck and DON't use Care Refresh!!

Randy
2020-6-6
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

B737ng Posted at 6-6 08:08
Ok, Dont panic.

I always do that after unboxing my drones on day one.
-Ensure my iPhone is fully charged, on the latest iOS firmware and the latest version of the DJI Fly app
-Charge the batteries and RC to 100% whilst I mark up my CAA registration number and read the DJI manual
-Connect the RC and AC and activate the drone
-Download and install the firmware on the AC, RC and insync the other batteries
-Calibrate the RC, IMU and Gimbal at home on a flat surface
-Configure the settings in the app and reset the camera settings and format the micro SD card
-Test the motors and camera (without taking off)
-Reboot and double check everything then recharge the batteries and RC back to 100%
-At the flight location, I'll do a full preflight check and compass calibration away from any metal objects before the first flight
-then fly - never had any problems but I don't calibrate anything again unless the app tells me to
That said, this looks like a DOA case and the drone needs to be replaced

2020-6-7
Use props
rhexis
lvl.2

United States

A J Posted at 6-7 01:37
I always do that after unboxing my drones on day one.
-Ensure my iPhone is fully charged, on the latest iOS firmware and the latest version of the DJI Fly app
-Charge the batteries and RC to 100% whilst I mark up my CAA registration number and read the DJI manual

The strange thing is I flew it a couple of days earlier and it flew great.  No issues at all.  Probably flew for 45 minutes in total but on Saturday morning when I did the auto takeoff it rose up a few feet then inverted and motors cut out.  It did that twice and after the second time it wouldn’t connect to the controller.  I sent everything back I’m hoping they will replace it with a new one as this one now has damage to a motor and the shell got scuffed and cracked.  
2020-6-8
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rhexis Posted at 6-8 17:16
The strange thing is I flew it a couple of days earlier and it flew great.  No issues at all.  Probably flew for 45 minutes in total but on Saturday morning when I did the auto takeoff it rose up a few feet then inverted and motors cut out.  It did that twice and after the second time it wouldn’t connect to the controller.  I sent everything back I’m hoping they will replace it with a new one as this one now has damage to a motor and the shell got scuffed and cracked.

Sounds like a big glitch corrupted the drone - auto take off has always been dodgy on these things - there are classic videos of people crashing their brand new Inspires using it on YouTube. Always best to take off manually.
If the drone was purchased within 14 days of you notifying DJI they will classify the claim as a DOA (dead on arrival unit) and you’ll get a brand new one. If later than 14 days it will be a standard warranty claim and if deemed to be due to manufacturer defect they will send you a refurb unit. If they can prove it was pilot error they will invoice you before replacing it and you’ll have to pay unless you have care refresh. Good luck.
2020-6-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there rhexis. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Mavic Air 2. Since there was a crash that happened before. It would be best to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support . We have a professional team that will do there best to assess the said drone and give out the best resolution for this issue. Again I am sorry for this trouble and please stay safe always.
2020-6-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules