Help needed: Gimbal roll motor issue or damage
2618 17 2020-6-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AirMaster
lvl.2
Canada

I just purchased a used Phantom 4 Pro from one of my acquaintances and was very happy to take it out for its first flight. I own multiple DJI Drones and this was by far the best/high-end ones out of all my selection.

I noticed instantly however that the gimbal started making weird noises upon start-up. I took it up in the air and instantly realized that I was getting weird gimbal issues such as the roll motor following the camera movement (As if I'm in FPV mode) even though I was clearly in the Follow mode.

I took it down and realized that whenever I move the drone to the left or right (as if I am moving to the left or right, or panning to the left and right), the roll motor cannot keep it stable and tilts up or down all over the place.
This essentially makes impossible to take smooth footage and the horizon goes off plus the footage itself has a slight shake/jello effect as well.

I have checked everything and did all the troubleshooting (IMU calibration, compass, gimbal calibration,etc.) but no luck. Please check the attached photos and videos. Any thoughts would be appreciated as I would rather like to get this fixed than to return it. Please let me know what I can do!!!!!

Thank you in advance!

imge 10101.JPG
2020-6-6
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

same problem in my Phantom 4 , horizon tilts when i rolll the drone itself , maybe the problem is Camera mainboard,( acelerometer )
2020-6-7
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

in min 03:39 the tilts problem  is visible

2020-6-7
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

the camera returns to its normal position but with a long delay ... i tried everything like you did
2020-6-7
Use props
AirMaster
lvl.2
Canada

I found this youtube video with the EXACT Same problem as mine.

DJI, what exactly is going on with my drone? Shouldn't this be covered by some manufacturer's extended warranty (the drone itself is 2 years old so out of warranty, but it NEVER crashed, hard landed or had any problems until now). This is very frustrating and it's a serious problem.

Please watch the video above! It's the exact same issue I'm experiencing currently.
2020-6-8
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

My Problem is very similar , after start on the drone , camera does the check correctly , but it do a idiot dance  .... i tried all Firmwares , all configuration , Imu and compass calibration with no fixes for this issue
2020-6-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there AirMaster. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Since you have done several troubleshooting steps to fix the said issue and still the issue persists. It seems that there might be an issue with the hardware of the said drone. I would recommend you contact our support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We have a team who would do their best to find out the reason of the incident and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Again I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for your support.
2020-6-14
Use props
Ironhyde
lvl.2
Flight distance : 152917 ft
United States

Was there ever any feedback on resolution? Did the hardware support team get this issue resolved? I am having same issue, and the only work around is to set the camera in the Nadir (downward) view then slowly tilt it up to get stills, but this wont cut it for smooth video?

Curious if a resolution was had?

thanks
2020-6-24
Use props
Weecked
lvl.1
Canada

Ironhyde Posted at 6-24 12:18
Was there ever any feedback on resolution? Did the hardware support team get this issue resolved? I am having same issue, and the only work around is to set the camera in the Nadir (downward) view then slowly tilt it up to get stills, but this wont cut it for smooth video?

Also looking for an answer... I have the same problem.
2020-7-25
Use props
Dog Man
lvl.4
Flight distance : 34380 ft
United States

A hard landing could of damaged one of the camera motors, it does not take much.
2020-7-26
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

One last calibration attempt......

Props off

Lean the AC back on the 2 rear arms......camera facing up

Initiate gimbal calibration, once complete, reboot all systems.......meaning turn EVERYTHING off.....

Restart after being OFF for a couple minutes

Let us know.......if the OP has already solved his issue, then this is for others experiencing similar issues.

Randy
2020-7-27
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

rwynant V1 Posted at 7-27 11:01
One last calibration attempt......

Props off

I tried this option long time ago  , same result mate , anyway i ll try again
2020-7-28
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

i tried again and the problem persist
2020-7-28
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

JetSam Posted at 7-28 10:12
i tried again and the problem persist

Well, it was worth a try.   I hope you can get her all fixed up sooner!!

Good luck,
Randy
2020-7-29
Use props
Weecked
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-14 21:18
Hello there AirMaster. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Since you have done several troubleshooting steps to fix the said issue and still the issue persists. It seems that there might be an issue with the hardware of the said drone. I would recommend you contact our support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We have a team who would do their best to find out the reason of the incident and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Again I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for your support.

Hi Stephen, this guy sent it to DJI and had the same problem when coming back. Can you help ? Thank you.
Same problem here..

2020-8-3
Use props
Weecked
lvl.1
Canada

Ironhyde Posted at 6-24 12:18
Was there ever any feedback on resolution? Did the hardware support team get this issue resolved? I am having same issue, and the only work around is to set the camera in the Nadir (downward) view then slowly tilt it up to get stills, but this wont cut it for smooth video?

Hi, did you find any answer to this ?

Hugues
2020-8-3
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

apparently the problem with this device is taboo for operators ... apparently they know what it is, but it would mean a lot of money for DJI to have to fix this bug for so many users with the same problem ....Good luck
2020-8-3
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

i found this video related

2020-8-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now