Understanding Max Speed vs Wind Resistance
1100 4 2020-6-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
digison08
lvl.1
Flight distance : 128009 ft
United States

Im still new to drone flying, I have not put alot of miles into my flights yet due to worry about wind and inexperience.
Can someone explain to me what I should be worried about when it comes down to understanding max speeds vs wind resistance  of the dji drones before flying?

The air 2 max speed is 42mph in sports mode, 26mph in normal and 11mph in tripod.

The wind resistance is 8.5-10.5 m/s (Level 5)

A long explanation would be helpful based on experience on how to proceed with flights.

Do you use wind resistance as the benchmark to forecast flights against the wind at certain altitudes or is wind resistance something else that coincides with max speed (like a mitigation?)

2020-6-6
Use props
Niknik
First Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

10.5 m/s = 37.8 Km/h = 23.5 mph means not to fly in more than this wind because Yes it can handle it but you have much less flying time and is not safe for the drone.
2020-6-6
Use props
Niknik
First Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

Niknik Posted at 6-6 16:10
10.5 m/s = 37.8 Km/h = 23.5 mph means not to fly in more than this wind because Yes it can handle it but you have much less flying time and is not safe for the drone.

And you may have no warranty if something happens and damage the drone
2020-6-6
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

for the ma2 and my short experience with it, you don't need to worry too much about the wind except for the following two items:  if it is too windy or you honestly don't feel comfortable flying because it's too windy then don't fly otherwise fly and don't worry about the wind and try to fly out against the wind so you can come home with the wind at your back.

the ma2 isn't the mm so unless you live somewhere very very windy, it shouldn't be factor.  you'll never have much fun with a drone if you are always worried about the wind.  love my mm but having to always worry about the wind pretty much ruined the overall experience this past winter for me.

this is just my opinion, other will chime in with their opinions and the facts about wind pertaining to your questions.
2020-6-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It's much more complex than don't fly if the wind is above a certain number.

The stated wind resistance number is the max speed that the drone can hover and hold position.
Hovering in winds above that speed it will be pushed away.
The faster the wind, the more it will be pushed away.

It is still possible to fly at greater wind speeds but you would have to be careful.
If you fly downwind, your return will be slow.
If the wind is higher than the drone's max speed, you will not make any headway against the wind and will be blown backwards when trying to fly at full speed.

Even at winds below the wind resistance number, your max speed flying against the wind will be reduced and you could have problems if you were a too far downwind and could not return before the battery runs out.
2020-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules