V2.0 First Flight + GoPro Hero 4
3095 9 2014-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
indesicant
lvl.1
United States

I successfully got over the fear of recent rulings and took my first Phantom 2 V2.0 out this morning for it's maiden flight! I went out to an open space park and flew in a pretty wide area. It was a very successful first flight - no crashes, was able to go out and come back to land in the same spot multiple times. Very stable compared to what I've been learning on and I'm super impressed!

I did have one small issue though, and I'm sorry in advance for the teaser...

https://vimeo.com/user34613236/review/112315554/1596ed0487

The only issue was that the Micro SD I had on-hand is a Class-4 and I didn't even think about that. Getting a new one today.

Current setup for first flight:
  • DJI Phantom 2 v2.0 with H3-3D Gimbal
  • Black Pearl 7" FPV Diversity Rx Monitor
  • DJI IOSD Mini
  • DJI AVL58 Lite Video Downlink
  • DJI Cloverleaf Antenna Set
  • Vision+ (extended) landing gear
  • GoPro Hero 4 Black

2014-11-19
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

haha nice flight. Was a little quick though
Looks like you did your research, good equipment.

Question..why did you mount your VTX in the front??
2014-11-19
Use props
indesicant
lvl.1
United States

I chose to work with a local dealer on mounting some of the equipment, the transmitter being mounted inside was one of them. They said they found that mounting it in front allowed for a clean install, and that they had tested it that way up to 1200 meters.

In this first video, I was too scared to mess with the gimbal control on the new controller, so the camera was pointed all the way up - I've since found that pointing it down even a little misses all of that hanging above the camera.

Speaking of which... even with FPV, how do you get over that heart throbbing when this thing starts to ascend and reality kicks in that you just sent $2k in the air? I just took it outside again with the new micro sd card, and I couldn't possibly fly this thing more than 100 yards out without seizing into a panic attack. LOL!
2014-11-19
Use props
humboldt710
lvl.2

United States

You will gain confidence with every flight. Just make sure you are doing what you need to do and it should work great for you. Look what I have done with a few months flying under my belt. http://youtu.be/tSGRRz3GLn8
2014-11-21
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Congrats on your maiden flight!  

By the way, you're fortunate to have a local dealer.  That also probably means there are other Phantom owners in your area that you can get together with and get some good advice.

Yeah, when I got my P2V+ I thought it was pretty cheap of DJI to stick a $3.00 4Gb class 4 card in a $1300.00 quadcopter.  One of the  first things I did with all my Phantoms was replace the microSD cards with class 10 cards.  I found a bunch of them on woot whenever they have them -- right now thru nov 24 they some Monster 16 Gb class 10 cards for $6.99 woot monster memory

Stay calm and wait for 7 satellites!
2014-11-22
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

"Stay calm and wait for 7 satellites!"

That's good advice right there.  
2014-11-22
Use props
essexpilot
New

United Kingdom

Hi There, I am a newbie to all this and today ordered my Phantom 2 FPV setup and ordered a GoPro 4. The dealer in the UK that i purchased from said there is no issue with the GoPro 4 but I have been reading some stories about issues with it on the H3-3D Gimbal. I notice that you are using the same setup as me and wondered if the GoPro 4 is ok ?
2014-12-2
Use props
indesicant
lvl.1
United States

I read mixed reviews online as well - but me personally, I've had no issues with the gimbal and GoPro 4. I've read there might be a slight balance issue that some have fixed with a penny taped to the side of the gimbal... but I haven't taken it out lately due to inclement windy and cold weather so I haven't noticed.

Here's another video shot after the SD Card replacement, it's a little bit longer this time.

https://vimeo.com/user34613236/review/112546609/83cec737ba
P.S. My dealer recommended 8 satellites - I've been waiting for 9, so I guess patience is key. I've had no scares or fly-aways, yet. That said, I still don't let it get far away. In my area, I usually have 10-12 satellites at any time - seems like pretty stable hovering from what I've observed.
2014-12-3
Use props
Droneasaurus
New

Canada

indesicant@gmai Posted at 2014-12-3 17:59
I read mixed reviews online as well - but me personally, I've had no issues with the gimbal and GoPr ...

Quality looks great. Have you had any issues with FPV? Especially at 4K or 1080@120? I want to buy a phantom but the FPV question with the Hero 4 is the only thing holding me back!
2014-12-18
Use props
myron.email
lvl.4

Philippines

hello is this compatible on phantom 2?
2015-2-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules