Slow Roll Drift - Tilted Image/Video
1544 17 2020-6-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Lately I took some videos where the Osmo is attached to my car's windshield via a large suction cup, and me recording the scene from inside the vehicle. I noticed that, whenever I go through vehicle turns (left/right), the image on the Osmo tilts quite a bit left/right (roll) and takes a long time to come back. I have video where the horizon (end of road) is literally tilted. I understand this is the vehice turns that cause a lateral/centripetal acceleration and the osmo simply reacts to that ... but shouldn't the Osmo have a built-in 'level' to correct the situation quickly ?
2020-6-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there JB63. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us. Can you please post a sample footage of the said matter for us to be able to check and assist your further. Thank you.
2020-6-14
Use props
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

In both cases/pictures below, the Osmo Pocket was rigidly attached to the windshield of my car via a large suction cup.
The video file is fairly large. Here is screenshot right after I made a LEFT turn. I was not moving too fast, it was just after a traffic light.

2020-6-17
Use props
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Here is another screen shot, it was few seconds BEFORE the one in the previous post. Here, the screenshot was after I made a RIGHT turn on a slow curvy road (NOT a sharp turn). You'd agree with me this is NOT correct.

2020-6-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi JB63, please reply to one of the moderator's posts so that we could get the notification and reply as soon as possible. The controllable range of Roll axis is ±45°, once the angle exceeds this range, it will not keep level.
May we also have a short video of the tilted image for further confirmation?
2020-6-22
Use props
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Did you see the above pictures??? They are screen-shots from the actual video.  Also, while driving a vehice and taking slow turns, I do not generate enough lateral acceleration to tilt the vehicle by 45 degrees .... (?) This, to say that I am operating the OsmoPocket well within the limits of 45 degrees.
2020-6-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

JB63 Posted at 6-23 03:32
Did you see the above pictures??? They are screen-shots from the actual video.  Also, while driving a vehice and taking slow turns, I do not generate enough lateral acceleration to tilt the vehicle by 45 degrees .... (?) This, to say that I am operating the OsmoPocket well within the limits of 45 degrees.

Sorry for the inconvenience, as replied on the floor 5#, for better analyze the issue, could you please help to provide a short video? You may upload the video to Dropbox or Google Drive, then share the link here, I'll forward it to our engineers for a check, thanks!
2020-6-24
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Maybe the angle it is on the windsheild makes a difference.

Trial video from me.

[media=x,970,580][/media]
Ray.

2020-6-24
Use props
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 6-24 22:13
Sorry for the inconvenience, as replied on the floor 5#, for better analyze the issue, could you please help to provide a short video? You may upload the video to Dropbox or Google Drive, then share the link here, I'll forward it to our engineers for a check, thanks!

Ok, I'd need to trim the video first, then I'll upload it. As it is, it's about 2 GB ...
2020-6-25
Use props
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 6-24 23:03
Maybe the angle it is on the windsheild makes a difference.

Trial video from me.

I think not ... let's think about this first. How come the tilt/roll goes from left to right in the same recording? The issue is NOT camera installation on the windshield ... the issue is software, primarily the PID gains in the roll sensor/motor circuits, + a level if the Osmo most likely has a built-in one.
2020-6-25
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

JB63 Posted at 6-25 05:27
I think not ... let's think about this first. How come the tilt/roll goes from left to right in the same recording? The issue is NOT camera installation on the windshield ... the issue is software, primarily the PID gains in the roll sensor/motor circuits, + a level if the Osmo most likely has a built-in one.

Then why is mine not doing that? You said low speed. My example above is low speed. Maybe you have a faulty unit.
2020-6-25
Use props
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 6-25 05:38
Then why is mine not doing that? You said low speed. My example above is low speed. Maybe you have a faulty unit.

I now what's wrong with mine ... if yours is behaving as expected, good for you. When I wrote 'low speed' ... I meant regular/safe driving speed while taking turns. ... I did not mean 'turtle/snail' speed. I'm working on trimming the video I have ... then maybe it'll make more sense.
2020-6-25
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

JB63 Posted at 6-25 05:42
I now what's wrong with mine ... if yours is behaving as expected, good for you. When I wrote 'low speed' ... I meant regular/safe driving speed while taking turns. ... I did not mean 'turtle/snail' speed. I'm working on trimming the video I have ... then maybe it'll make more sense.

I understand and sympathize. It should not be as bad as in your example. Unfortunately I deleted my footage I took some months back for similar testing and could only find a low quality copy of 'normal driving pace'. Taking into account you appear to be on flat ground it seems very excessive.

I hope you get yours sorted soon.

Ray.

2020-6-25
Use props
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

It seems your video also gets the tilt/roll, especially near the end.
2020-6-25
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

JB63 Posted at 6-25 10:19
It seems your video also gets the tilt/roll, especially near the end.

It's a hilly area with little in the way of flat ground.  I think it's suffering from parallax more than tilt as the camera is pointing up slightly on the night shot. I'm also going to have to try to find some flat ground to get a better comparison. How's your footage coming along?

Ray.
2020-6-25
Use props
staticV3
lvl.1

Germany

I have also experienced the same issue while hand holding the Pocket on the passenger seat.
My solution at the moment is to put the Pocket into FPV mode, which will preserve the tilt that I hold it at.
2020-6-25
Use props
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 6-25 11:14
It's a hilly area with little in the way of flat ground.  I think it's suffering from parallax more than tilt as the camera is pointing up slightly on the night shot. I'm also going to have to try to find some flat ground to get a better comparison. How's your footage coming along?

Ray.

parallax = pitch ? i.e., horizon line moves up down ?

Just to make sure we're all using the same terminology, my definiton is:

1. Tilt of horizon line = roll
2. Horizon Line moves up-down = pitch (= parallax ?)
3. Picture moves left/right = pan
2020-6-25
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

JB63 Posted at 6-25 14:33
parallax = pitch ? i.e., horizon line moves up down ?

Just to make sure we're all using the same terminology, my definiton is:

Yes, second.
2020-6-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules