3608 17 2020-6-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
vitaly258
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1311375 ft
United Kingdom

Hi fellas,

here is a comparison between HDR video file uploaded straight to youtube and proper HDR project created in FCPX. obviously file has no HDR metadata so it won’t trigger HDR mode on TV or YouTube. feel the difference

Mavic Air 2 HDR video:

FCPX Wide Gamut HDR - Rec. 2020 PQ:

upd: just realised that not all devices can support HDR10. please ignore this post if you cannot see HDR icon above setting icon at youtube control panel on second video.
2020-6-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HDR version for me seems much darker.
2020-6-9
Use props
vitaly258
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 6-9 00:42
HDR version for me seems much darker.

what video, first or second? does your screen support HDR10?
2020-6-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

vitaly258 Posted at 6-9 00:45
what video, first or second? does your screen support HDR10?

Second,  viewing on a Retina display.
2020-6-9
Use props
vitaly258
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 6-9 01:04
Second,  viewing on a Retina display.

Unfortunately just retina 2018 and later supports HDR mode. if your machine supports HDR you can see it in youtube settings.
have a look at screenshot below. the video in HDR mode more brighter and colours are vivid.

2020-6-9
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 380978 ft
United Kingdom

vitaly258 Posted at 6-9 01:34
Unfortunately just retina 2018 and later supports HDR mode. if your machine supports HDR you can see it in youtube settings.
have a look at screenshot below. the video in HDR mode more brighter and colours are vivid.

@Vitaly just a quick question but how long did it take to do the HDR project output?  I figured I'd be using the HDR out of the drone (not done much video processing) if it looked ok initially.  Unfortunately not able to see the comparison on this kit so although I'm sure there is a difference how big is it and is the processing overhead worth it for general clips unless doing a larger project? TIA
2020-6-9
Use props
vitaly258
lvl.4
United Kingdom

BaynhamPhoto Posted at 6-9 02:30
@Vitaly just a quick question but how long did it take to do the HDR project output?  I figured I'd be using the HDR out of the drone (not done much video processing) if it looked ok initially.  Unfortunately not able to see the comparison on this kit so although I'm sure there is a difference how big is it and is the processing overhead worth it for general clips unless doing a larger project? TIA

if you use video editing app like final cut pro it won’t take you even an extra minute - all you need is create new HDR library and export your video with HDR output https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208229
i haven't tried  Adobe Premiere Pro yet but seems it should be similar routine.
just keep in mind that you need HDR device (TV or computer) to see HDR video properly.
2020-6-9
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 380978 ft
United Kingdom

vitaly258 Posted at 6-9 05:23
if you use video editing app like final cut pro it won’t take you even an extra minute - all you need is create new HDR library and export your video with HDR output https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208229
i haven't tried  Adobe Premiere Pro yet but seems it should be similar routine.
just keep in mind that you need HDR device (TV or computer) to see HDR video properly.

Cheers I'm going to try watching your comparison on the TV later
2020-6-9
Use props
vitaly258
lvl.4
United Kingdom

BaynhamPhoto Posted at 6-9 05:42
Cheers I'm going to try watching your comparison on the TV later

thanks, good idea! let me know your opinion.
btw I've made this project deliberately with PQ output which is backwards incompatible with older SDR devices and looks gloomy. HLG output compatible with SDR.
2020-6-9
Use props
GoombaTip
lvl.2
Flight distance : 116539 ft
United States

Just watched this on my LG OLED. It did trigger HDR too. Looks nice.
2020-6-9
Use props
embe71
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3353 ft
Germany

You're aware of the fact that the "HDR" out of the Air 2 is no "real HDR" in the sense that it has not enough  dynamic range (10 Bit minimum) to be edited and exported as a rec. 2020 video? It still is a rec. 709 video and all you have done in FCP X is to export a HDR-video (rec. 2020) with content that is no real HDR (because its 8 Bit in rec. 709) at all. You can easily spot that if you compare your vid with real HDR-content on youtube. The dynamic range is much wider there.

Think of the HDR-video-function of the camera of the Air 2 more as a way to capture video with a bit more dynamic range because of the quad bayer pattern like in HDR pictures. It's still only 8 Bit and so not suited to be graded for "real" HDR projects. For that we need at least 10 Bit in a format like LOG or HLG, something that the Air 2 doesn't offer.
2020-6-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

vitaly258 Posted at 6-9 01:34

Yep thats the problem.
2020-6-10
Use props
vitaly258
lvl.4
United Kingdom

embe71 Posted at 6-9 15:40
You're aware of the fact that the "HDR" out of the Air 2 is no "real HDR" in the sense that it has not enough  dynamic range (10 Bit minimum) to be edited and exported as a rec. 2020 video? It still is a rec. 709 video and all you have done in FCP X is to export a HDR-video (rec. 2020) with content that is no real HDR (because its 8 Bit in rec. 709) at all. You can easily spot that if you compare your vid with real HDR-content on youtube. The dynamic range is much wider there.

Think of the HDR-video-function of the camera of the Air 2 more as a way to capture video with a bit more dynamic range because of the quad bayer pattern like in HDR pictures. It's still only 8 Bit and so not suited to be graded for "real" HDR projects. For that we need at least 10 Bit in a format like LOG or HLG, something that the Air 2 doesn't offer.

yes I was aware that's why I've created proper HDR Rec. 2020 PQ using MA2 HDR videos.
2020-6-10
Use props
embe71
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3353 ft
Germany

No, you didn't: You can't "create" a dynamic range that was never there. You just converted a video with rec.709 range to rec.2020 but the original video doesn't have enough dynamic range and doesn't benefit from rec.2020....
You would need a 10 bit video for that (e.g. LOG with 10 bit).
2020-6-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there vitaly258. Thank you for reaching out and for posting this comparison video between a HDR video file with the HDR project. Great information and thank you for your support.
2020-6-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I like the first one better.
Nice shots on both!
2020-6-23
Use props
djiuser_G2uFRM5JCJp0
New
Flight distance : 54006 ft
Germany

Hi
Thank you for your post
I have a question , We should capture videos with CineLike profile and after color grading in Premiere pro , We should export as HDR video. This is correct ?
2021-6-8
Use props
vitaly258
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiuser_G2uFRM5JCJp0 Posted at 6-8 00:20
Hi
Thank you for your post
I have a question , We should capture videos with CineLike profile and after color grading in Premiere pro , We should export as HDR video. This is correct ?

no exactly. you need at least 10-bit video and import it into HDR project (either PQ or HLG). then export an HDR movie with the Rec. 2020
2021-6-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules