Anyone know why the altitude is wrong on the Mavic Air 2's photos?
3319 9 2020-6-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jordaneer
lvl.1

United States

So I was trying to fly a mapping mission with my mavic air 2, and since the SDK isn't out, I was flying it manually, and while latitude and longitude are reported correctly, for some reason, the Mavic Air 2 reports altitude as the altitude of the drone in comparison to where it took off, not the actual elevation of the drone, The Air 1 does this correctly, is there some way to fix this without having to manually edit all the exif data from the photos?
2020-6-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

or some reason, the Mavic Air 2 reports altitude as the altitude of the drone in comparison to where it took off, not the actual elevation of the drone, The Air 1 does this correctly
The altitude shown in the exif data is wrong for all DJI drones (except the Mavic 2).
2020-6-8
Use props
Fabriciolvm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21585 ft

Brazil

Up.

Anyone knows how to fix it? It's really a problem for those who works with photogrammetry.
2021-1-28
Use props
memino
New

Peru

Fabriciolvm Posted at 1-28 03:55
Up.

Anyone knows how to fix it? It's really a problem for those who works with photogrammetry.

I use control points (even with a simple navigator with 3 m error) just to correct the altitude... in some cases we even use the data from Google Earth... yeah, its not ideal at all, but works in a pinch....
2021-2-25
Use props
fansc93df787
lvl.1
Flight distance : 174 ft
Ecuador

Yo tengo el mismo problema. No registra el matadato la altura sobre el nivel del mar sino registra la altura en referencia al punto de origen. Esto me pasó nunca con drones anteriores como phantom 4, phantom 4v2, inspire 2, es mi primera vez... Y en el metadatos de la foto no está registrado la altura absoluta más bien se repite la altura de vuelo....
COMO REPARAR ESTE ERROR DE DJI?
2022-2-3
Use props
Decones
lvl.2

Brazil

Hi guys, I 'm also facing issues with air 2s altitude.
My photos metadatos are 100m off where it should be, I have a very accurate altitude measurament from my home point (I did post processing PPP using a base station and CORS data  to become a kown point).
My home point altitude is 960.83m, I take off, go up 50m, take a picture, metadatos say pictures altitude is 911m.
That's a bad issue for me cause I do perform ortomosaics using GCP, the metashape show zero projections since my GCP altitude is 960m and photos are 910m.
I try firmware update with no sucess.
Would like to hear from DJI about this, an 2,000 dollars drone that shows 100m off in altitude.
2022-7-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Decones Posted at 7-24 12:07
Hi guys, I 'm also facing issues with air 2s altitude.
My photos metadatos are 100m off where it should be, I have a very accurate altitude measurament from my home point (I did post processing PPP using a base station and CORS data  to become a kown point).
My home point altitude is 960.83m, I take off, go up 50m, take a picture, metadatos say pictures altitude is 911m.

There are two different altitude numbers in your metadata.
But many metadata viewers only show a small part of the metadata.
If you see all the metadata, you have data for Absolute Altitude and Relative Altitude.
Absolute Altitude is the one you are complaining about.
It's a (rough) approximation of height above sea level.
Because of the flawed formula DJI uses to calculate this, it's commonly +/- 100 metres out.

Relative Altitude is the height you see on the screen while flying.
Photogrammetry software doesn't have a problem with this and creates a map using relative altitude
It's a simple matter to use GCPs to convert relative altitude to an accurate height based on your local datum.

2022-7-24
Use props
Decones
lvl.2

Brazil

Labroides Posted at 7-24 18:46
There are two different altitude numbers in your metadata.
But many metadata viewers only show a small part of the metadata.
If you see all the metadata, you have data for Absolute Altitude and Relative Altitude.

Hi Labroides, thanks for your replay, is there a way to ajust photos metadatos in metashape?
Or any other sw I can use before importing it to Metashape.
2022-7-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Decones Posted at 7-25 06:11
Hi Labroides, thanks for your replay, is there a way to ajust photos metadatos in metashape?
Or any other sw I can use before importing it to Metashape.

It shouldn't be necessary to change anything.
Metashape will give you an orthophoto with elevation based on relative altitude.
If you give Metashape some ground control points, that brings all elevations into your local map datum.
2022-7-25
Use props
Decones
lvl.2

Brazil

Labroides Posted at 7-25 06:25
It shouldn't be necessary to change anything.
Metashape will give you an orthophoto with elevation based on relative altitude.
If you give Metashape some ground control points, that brings all elevations into your local map datum.

Thanks.
I also found an script that fix the altitude on the photos considering you flew at a single altitude (no terrain follow). You will be prompt to input your flight altitude (relative) and a starting point altitude. It works very well.

link for the script
https://www.agisoft.com/forum/in ... 6.msg40010#msg40010

Cheers,
André
2022-7-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules