Mavic Air 2 - Shoot in RAW only?
5687 14 2020-6-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ekreutz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 655220 ft
United States

It does not seem like there is a way to only shoot RAW photos with the Mavic Air 2, only JPEG or JPEG + RAW for some reason. It was possible with the Mavic Air. I find this annoying because I prefer to shoot in RAW and shooting both gives me two copies of every photo that not only takes up more space but makes consecutive shots much slower (including much slower than the Mavic Air) because it is having to process two photos at once. And shooting 48mp or smart mode slows it down even more. Am I missing something, or is this an odd oversight by DJI? Hopefully it can be corrected in a future firmware update.
2020-6-10
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

Your suggestion has been added to https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=216584

Mirek
2020-6-10
Use props
ekreutz
lvl.1
United States

Mirek L Posted at 6-10 05:19
Your suggestion has been added to https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=216584

Mirek

Awesome, thank you.
2020-6-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi ekreutz, sorry for the late response, your need has been forwarded to our engineers for attention, we will keep optimizing our products, please stay tuned to the latest update on DJI website.
2020-6-12
Use props
ekreutz
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 6-12 02:53
Hi ekreutz, sorry for the late response, your need has been forwarded to our engineers for attention, we will keep optimizing our products, please stay tuned to the latest update on DJI website.

Ok thank you. That would be great to see this fixed in a future update.
2020-6-12
Use props
RaikinCZE
lvl.1
Flight distance : 109101 ft
Czechia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2020-6-12 02:53
Hi ekreutz, sorry for the late response, your need has been forwarded to our engineers for attention, we will keep optimizing our products, please stay tuned to the latest update on DJI website.

So I guess still no update. And this should be pretty easy change in software. I don't get it, even the original MA was able to take only RAW if wanted.
2021-1-24
Use props
mafozi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2590108 ft
Bulgaria

Yep mate .. still waiting ... lots of things are missing compare to MA1 + buggy app ... such a disappointment!  
2021-1-24
Use props
dwillis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1613642 ft
United States

Looks like we'll have to continue to wait. I feel like the MA1 is a better aircraft than the MA2 and DJI GO 4 is a better app than DJI Fly. The MA2/Fly app combo improves a couple video shooting things (while losing a couple useful things as well) and has better battery life but overall it's not much of an improvement from the MA1/GO 4 combo. I agree--it's disappointing.
2021-3-31
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The reason the camera shoots only JPEG + DNG, is because you cannot preview the DNG files in the field. The JPEG is provided so you can check what you have shot while in the field.
2021-3-31
Use props
ekreutz
lvl.1
United States

Any camera can create a preview of a raw file without storing an extra copy of the photo though, including the MA1. And the MA2 is much slower to take consecutive shots than the MA1, even in 12MP mode.
2021-4-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

ekreutz Posted at 4-1 06:23
Any camera can create a preview of a raw file without storing an extra copy of the photo though, including the MA1. And the MA2 is much slower to take consecutive shots than the MA1, even in 12MP mode.

The camera does not create any preview. In the case of a drone, there is no direct connection between the camera and the preview screen, the only connection is a radio link. The amount of data that needs to be sent to the preview screen (phone) is too large in the case of RAW photography. Therefore the image processor in the aircraft creates a JPEG compressed picture for you to see.
2021-4-1
Use props
John12345
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2579206 ft
Finland

I would appreciate RAW only shooting. I mostly shoot in AEB 3 brackets for photography and for 4 years with Phantom 4 pro I never needed to preview the photos from my controller. Some kind of professional switch in some settings that would open RAW only shooting or a prompt that says "RAW has no preview available." JPEGs go to the trash right after importing to computer but when deleting files there is a possibility for human error. Anyhow deleting JPEGs is one unnecessary step to take every time I import photos. And when it's a daily chore it gets bothersome and the possibility of a mistakenly deleting some RAWs with the JPEGs scare me.

Please add RAW only shooting!!!!!!
2021-8-2
Use props
fans732529f1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2590108 ft
United Kingdom

Please add RAW only shooting!!!!!!

We have been waiting for 1 year and they do not want to hear us
We won't either
I don't know why they don't do it, as if they have a contract with the card manufacturers and they do it on purpose so that we have to buy bigger cards.
I just don't have a logical explanation ... why I have to fill my card with duplicate files
All this was in the MA and the old application
2021-8-2
Use props
ekreutz
lvl.1
United States

Agreed, I think it's ridiculous they still haven't made this fix more than a year later.
2021-8-3
Use props
bassistas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 355377 ft
Greece

I just purchased this drone to use it for photogrammetry and it's really annoying to not be able to shoot only in raw only as I usually need more than 4000-5000 photos for each session when shooting buildings or archaeological areas. Such a waste of card space. Dji please fix this as soon as possible.
2021-8-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules