424 7 2020-6-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JimmyPickles
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40889 ft
United States

Hi All,

I have flown my MM about 20 flights.  Every flight has originated from the same dock and was flown over a small harbor lined with homes.  I have traveled almost 2,500 ft. in most directions.  In all my flights I have never encountered any interference errors until today.

I started getting interference errors and loss of RC connection at about 320 ft away.  The RC reconnected each time.  Flight ended safely.

Can you guys give some specific reasons why today might have been different from all my other flights?  In other words, what, specifically, can change in a location that can cause WIFI interference?

WIFI on iPad turned off.  12-16 sats.  Would flight data help?

Thanks so much for all your help
2020-6-10
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There are a number of variables that could cause it but flying in exactly the same location with a previous solid signal the likelihood is that there may be boat in or near the harbour with a strong WiFi transmission that was on during that flight and off on the other occasions you flew there. WiFi interference massively affects the signal quality but is not the only reason.
2020-6-10
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

I have no idea what might operate in the 5.8 GHz range in US but for my personal experience where I live, the 5,8 GHz frequency is quite influenced by general electro-magnetic activity background (while the 2.4 GHz seems more resilient to nearby interferences but placed in a much busier range, Wi-Fi routers and such). I think you could greatly benefit from a pair of cheap and easy to use Yagi/Uda antenna boosters.
2020-6-10
Use props
djiuser_PkzBAqJgpd67
lvl.1
Canada

So glad the mavic mini and dji drones are good at "saving" you in most cases.  
2020-6-10
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Lots of stuff operating on the 5.8 GHz radio spectrum that we are using.  Maybe someone lit off a new WiFi, video link, or other device.  I have received interference several times in my neighborhood, but usually at a distance of at least 1,000 feet.  The exception is a couple time when the Mini was hovering about 200 feet straight up (trying to get sunset photos).  And last weekend I was taking some specific photos of a mountaintop 2-way radio site.  Got interference at less than 100 feet away, and then realized that I had flown about six feet in front of the antenna for a 10 mile WiFi link on 5.8 GHz.  As soon as I moved out of that path, the interference cleared.
2020-6-10
Use props
JimmyPickles
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40889 ft
United States

K6CCC, very interesting.  The odd part of my flight was that I was getting interference in every direction I flew.
2020-6-10
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

A harbor can be subject to a lot of variable interference, for example a new boat with powerful transmitter could significantly change the reception you get.

Might be worth checking the transmission section of the app to see which channels are green
2020-6-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there JimmyPickles. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please check whether the remote controller's antennas are placed properly, you may refer to the below tutorial video. In addition kindly please fly your DJI Mavic Mini to another open field without interference to check there will be changes. Finally, kindly please put the mobile phone in Airplane mode while flying would lessen the interference like receiving calls and text messages while on flight. Thank you and have a safe flight always.

2020-6-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules