D-Log vs D-Cinelike in Post
4860 2 2020-6-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
coco60
lvl.4
Flight distance : 632096 ft
Canada

Just went to know if D-log footages edited in post processing comes out much better than shooting in D-Cinelike. Is the final result very noticeable ?
2020-6-10
Use props
DGBarar
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hi Coco:

My experience has been that shooting D-Log, exposing at an EV of +1 - +1.5, Sharpness = -1, Contrast = -1, Saturation = -2 and using Ground Control's free D-Log to Rec. 709 LUT provides a little more post processing latitude and dynamic range over D-Cinelike.  Some have complained on this forum that shooting D-Log with an 8 bit sensor results in posterization, i.e. banding.  But I find that if I am careful with post processing in our Arizona sun that posterization is not an issue.

Ground Control's LUT can be found here: https://groundcontrolcolor.com/products/free-d-log-to-rec-709-lut

Try some experimentation for yourself with not flying the P4P.  My experiment was D-Log with EVs +1, +1.3, + 1.7 and 2.0 and apply the LUT vs. D-Cinelike with EVs +1, +1.3, + 1.7 and 2.0.

What do you think?

Don Barar
2020-6-10
Use props
coco60
lvl.4
Flight distance : 632096 ft
Canada

DGBarar Posted at 6-10 16:48
Hi Coco:

My experience has been that shooting D-Log, exposing at an EV of +1 - +1.5, Sharpness = -1, Contrast = -1, Saturation = -2 and using Ground Control's free D-Log to Rec. 709 LUT provides a little more post processing latitude and dynamic range over D-Cinelike.  Some have complained on this forum that shooting D-Log with an 8 bit sensor results in posterization, i.e. banding.  But I find that if I am careful with post processing in our Arizona sun that posterization is not an issue.

Thanks for the infos
2020-6-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules