Battery charging
655 11 2020-6-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NitemareTrainer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11844 ft
United States

With my original Mavic Air, I know after you charged a battery that after a certain amount of days the battry would start discharging.  Is the same true with the batteries on the Mavic Air 2.  Because I noticed lately that I wiil charge a battery and then go to use it like 4-5 days later and when I turn the drone on the battery level is only at 66%.  Does the battery start losing its charge that quickly?
2020-6-13
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

2020-6-13
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
United States

Please read the MA2 manual on page 25
2020-6-13
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

It is not losing its charge, it is being systematically discharged, because leaving a Lithium Polymer battery lying around in a fully charged state damages the battery. For this reason, the correct method of useage is to fully charge the battery just before you use it, then store it away afterwards in a partially discharged state, but NOT to recharge it straight after use unless you plan to use it again straight away.
2020-6-13
Use props
NitemareTrainer
lvl.4
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 6-13 16:21
Please read the MA2 manual on page 25

Ok that answers my question thanks
2020-6-13
Use props
NitemareTrainer
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 6-13 16:23
It is not losing its charge, it is being systematically discharged, because leaving a Lithium Polymer battery lying around in a fully charged state damages the battery. For this reason, the correct method of useage is to fully charge the battery just before you use it, then store it away afterwards in a partially discharged state, but NOT to recharge it straight after use unless you plan to use it again straight away.

Ok I thought was the case. So charge it right before I use it.  I have another question.  I have three batteries. Is it good to rotate them when I use them or does it matter.
2020-6-13
Use props
famorim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1595574 ft
Brazil

I am facing an issue with my 3 batteries that came with the combo fly more. I charged the battery and couple minutes later attach this to MA2. When I turn on the drone, remote control and open up the app, it reports the battery is about 92% charged.

I found this behavior on all 3 batteries and also charging using the hub and direct to the charger one by one.

Does anyone noticed that behavior ?
2020-6-13
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
United States

NitemareTrainer Posted at 6-13 16:30
Ok I thought was the case. So charge it right before I use it.  I have another question.  I have three batteries. Is it good to rotate them when I use them or does it matter.

It's your choice.  Like anything else, the battery is only going to last a certain amount of time/charging cycles.  I like to have an even number of cycles on each battery so I number them and rotate. This was from previous drones I owned. On the otherhand, the MA2 flight time is such that I can get most of what I want to do on a single battery.  Now I'm thinking of using one battery primarily and keeping the other two as backups.  That way I just might end up using one battery for a year and having a lot of cycles on it but have two more that are relatively "fresh".  Keep in mind the manual says to fully charge them at least every three months.  Page 25 and 26 of the manual have good information on batteries.  In the past, there was a DJI guide for the battery but I haven't seen one yet for the MA2.  If you're going to use one primarily, I would still fully charge the others and use them down to at least 10% at least once.
2020-6-13
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Yes, I have the same with my M2P, and I rotate them, as it is good to exercise the batteries.
2020-6-13
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

famorim Posted at 6-13 17:17
I am facing an issue with my 3 batteries that came with the combo fly more. I charged the battery and couple minutes later attach this to MA2. When I turn on the drone, remote control and open up the app, it reports the battery is about 92% charged.

I found this behavior on all 3 batteries and also charging using the hub and direct to the charger one by one.

The percentage of charge is, if you like, a 'fake' value. There is no real way to measure battery capacity, so it is calculated by the smarts in the battery, and it is not unusual for it to vary like that. I would not be concerned.
2020-6-13
Use props
Pappy3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

I used a label maker to identify each battery (numbered them 1, 2, 3). I then just run through the number sequence so that all of the batteries have the same number of charge cycles.
2020-6-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there NitemareTrainer. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. The DJI Mavic Air 2 has an Auto-Discharging function to prevent the battery for swelling, the battery automatically discharges to 96% of the battery level when it is idle for one day and automatically discharges to 60% of the battery level when it is idle for 5 days. It is normal to feel moderate heat being emitted from the battery during the discharging process. For additional reference I will post a list of the intelligent flight battery safety guidelines. Thank you.

2020-6-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules