Lost my DJI mavic mini during return to home
1070 20 2020-6-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AshokRamasami
lvl.1
Flight distance : 100741 ft

India

Hi i was flying my drone and a sudden burst of wind started carrying my drone away from me and I started to lose control. I tried using the return to home option and the drone was trying hard to return as the wind grew stronger and stronger, lost signal and couldn't find the drone . Please help . I checked the last known location and couldnt find the drone becasue at the last known location the height was 66m and it was descinding . The flight data for flights are in the link mentioned below.
dji user account_name : djiuser_KOgV4anJyAwq

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ckBJDFIixjx8PLSOXbxqWZRTr4lunN1T?usp=sharing

2020-6-14
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hiya,

Sorry for your loss, after 1 minute in flight the smart battery RTH in progress, never seen that before with 90% battery and only 60 meters away from HP.
But in this first RTH your MM was not able to fly back in the RTH mode.
What did not help was 100% aft stick increasing more distance.....it looks like you lost the idea of what was happening.

Hard to guess where your MM landed, too much batt power left so it did drift a long distance further.
But still hope that you will find your MM   did you had your email adress and/or phone number on it?

Did your MM ahd the propellors guard fitted ?  message  "Extra payload detected. Max altitude and distance set"

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
analysis2.png
analysis3.png
2020-6-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The news is not good.
Here's what that flight data looks like.
https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/ZWUGWP21U7O5VEMSG4BK/

After a few attempts to bring the drone back, you initiated RTH again at 4:35.1 with the drone 426 metres out.
You let the drone climb to 118 metres which is a big mistake when you ahve strong wind problems.
Higher up, the wind will be stronger and it will be harder to fight.
You cancelled RTH at 5:40.6 (now 580 metres away) and being blown further at 3-7 metres/sec.
A little later you brought the drone down to 83 metres where the drift was 2-5 m/s.
When data ended the drone was at 66 metres, 1070 metres away and still being blown further at 4 m/s.
Battery was still at 53%.
On losing signal, the Mini will have initiated RTH.
But the (very) bad news is that your RTH height was set at 500 metres.
The Mini will have climbed to 500 metres where the wind will have been much stronger.
We can't guess how much faster the Mini will have been blown further away, but it will have been a lot.

The Mini was burning battery at about 7 secs per %
It will have been blown for approx 300 seconds before reaching critical low voltage level and starting to descend.

If the rate of drift was 10 m/s (just a number that could be wrong) that would mean the Mini drifted another 3km and it would have been blown even further on its descent.
The drift velocity might have been more or less and it's not possible to estimate.
The Mini might be 3-5 kilometres away from where it was last recorded.
2020-6-14
Use props
AshokRamasami
lvl.1

India

Is there no hope,  i cancelled the RTH because it started to ascend i started running behind it and still couldn’t catchup with when ever i tried to bring it towards me it still couldn’t come . I tried to descend hoping i could catch up to it but i lost the signal
2020-6-14
Use props
AshokRamasami
lvl.1

India

JJB* Posted at 6-14 04:06
Hiya,

Sorry for your loss, after 1 minute in flight the smart battery RTH in progress, never seen that before with 90% battery and only 60 meters away from HP.
[Image]

Yeah it had the propellor gaurd on
2020-6-14
Use props
AshokRamasami
lvl.1

India

Is there any option we can find the last flight location even after losing signal
2020-6-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

AshokRamasami Posted at 6-14 05:13
Is there any option we can find the last flight location even after losing signal

Sorry but no
Prop guards in strong wind is another big mistake.
Up 500 metres, they are just like sails to catch the wind.
The Mavic had no chance

2020-6-14
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

AshokRamasami Posted at 6-14 05:09
Yeah it had the propellor gaurd on

oops, prop guards and wind is a bad combination for a any drone, and specific for a MM !
BTW  In the last FlyApp version (and before as i remember well) the RTH height max setting = 120 meters, so don`t know why there is 500 meters in your log.

In your first RTH your MM climbed to 58 meters (from 25 meter), at 58 is started to cruise guess because momentarily the down stick was used.But in the second RTH it climbed to 116, at that height RTH was cancelled.
During the last RTH notEnoughPower to climb, it did lost height slowly....

cheers
JJB

2020-6-14
Use props
ESchimidt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 310879 ft
Brazil

AshokRamasami Posted at 6-14 05:09
Yeah it had the propellor gaurd on

I think it was the biggest mistake.
2020-6-14
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

ESchimidt Posted at 6-14 05:21
I think it was the biggest mistake.

Wonder how it got that high and far away with the prop guard on to start with? I thought there was a significant limit on height and distance (60m and 30m?) if a payload is detected?
2020-6-14
Use props
AshokRamasami
lvl.1

India

JJB* Posted at 6-14 05:19
oops, prop guards and wind is a bad combination for a any drone, and specific for a MM !
BTW  In the last FlyApp version (and before as i remember well) the RTH height max setting = 120 meters, so don`t know why there is 500 meters in your log.

Do you mean once the signal is lost it didn’t climb again as RTH was in action
2020-6-14
Use props
AshokRamasami
lvl.1

India

itchyeyeballs Posted at 6-14 07:05
Wonder how it got that high and far away with the prop guard on to start with? I thought there was a significant limit on height and distance (60m and 30m?) if a payload is detected?

All i was trying is to steer it towards me the wind was strong i couldn’t do that and the RTH limit played the part of  lifting it high
2020-6-14
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wonder how it got that high and far away with the prop guard on to start with? I thought there was a significant limit on height and distance (60m and 30m?) if a payload is detected?

good question. In the manual is stated that after take-off extra payload  is detected and enabled ; limiting only the max speed (and max 1500 meter height ceiling).

In this flight extra payload was detected after 50 secs in flight, distance out 39 meter.

cheers
JJB
2020-6-14
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

I'd search the zone indicated by JJB albeit it is like seeking a needle in a haystack.

Should you return to fly I think you need a lot of seeking through the forum as well, accidents like these are a piece of cake to avoid.

We have mobile wind weather forecast (worldwide) and warnings (apps), many ways to avoid being caught by an air stream (for example never use prop guards in the open), lowering the altitude, enable Sport mode and bring the drone back manually (as suggested by the numerous warnings of the Fly app), and now even remote landing. The drone can remotely land without RC connection, this alone above any plateau of land can almost totally prevent a drone loss by a blow-away accident.
2020-6-14
Use props
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Labroides Posted at 6-14 04:40
The news is not good.
Here's what that flight data looks like.
https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/ZWUGWP21U7O5VEMSG4BK/

RTH set to 500m?!
2020-6-14
Use props
ESchimidt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 310879 ft
Brazil

Wonder how it got that high and far away with the prop guard on to start with? I thought there was a significant limit on height and distance (60m and 30m?) if a payload is detected?

Yes, but MM failed to detect. I think.
2020-6-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there AshokRamasami. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your previous flight with your DJI Mavic Mini. Since this unfortunate issue happened on your DJI Mavic Mini. It would be best to contact out DJI Support Team for further assistance at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav . We would do their best to find out the reason of the incident and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Again I am sorry for the incident and thank you for your understanding.
2020-6-15
Use props
AshokRamasami
lvl.1

India

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-15 00:39
Hello there AshokRamasami. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your previous flight with your DJI Mavic Mini. Since this unfortunate issue happened on your DJI Mavic Mini. It would be best to contact out DJI Support Team for further assistance at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav . We would do their best to find out the reason of the incident and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Again I am sorry for the incident and thank you for your understanding.

Thank you I spoke with the customer support and ticket was raised . CAS-4480812-G8V0Y7
2020-6-15
Use props
AshokRamasami
lvl.1

India

JJB* Posted at 6-14 04:06
Hiya,

Sorry for your loss, after 1 minute in flight the smart battery RTH in progress, never seen that before with 90% battery and only 60 meters away from HP.

Made a through search in and around the three points couldn't find any trace of the MM
2020-6-15
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

AshokRamasami Posted at 6-15 05:41
Made a through search in and around the three points couldn't find any trace of the MM

Bad luck, chances of finding a MM that far away from the last know position = 0.01%
2020-6-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

AshokRamasami Posted at 6-15 01:26
Thank you I spoke with the customer support and ticket was raised . CAS-4480812-G8V0Y7

Hi there AshokRamasami. You are very much welcome and thank you for the given update. It is great to know that you are able to get in touch with our DJI Support Team. Rest assured that we will do our best to assist you with regards to this matter. Please keep us posted on the said issue for further assistance. Thank you.
2020-6-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules