Newbie Fan Questions
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RCHI
lvl.1
United States

First drone.  I just passed my part 107.  Now time to figure out how to fly.  I have pro v2 and contorller powered "on" on table for 15 minutes or so and I noticed battery on drone would get pretty hot.  (I am attempting to go through settings and functions prior to 1st flight)  Newbie, so i don't know if that is normal.  Then started getting other errors.  IMU warnings and failures, then some kind of critacal overheating warning.  Did a search for overheating issues and am now wondering if there are cooling fans in both the controller and drone that should be on.  Are there fans? I don't hear any fans...  are they really quiet?  Can you actually see these fans?  is there a diagnostic to verify they are working?  
So Drone has never been in the air and I am already fed up with this thing.  
Thanks for your help!  Ryan
2020-6-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Take it outside to a large, open area, clear of trees, buildings and other obstructions.
Launch it and leave it hovering 10-20 feet up and then look at the settings.
2020-6-14
Use props
RCHI
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 6-14 05:44
Take it outside to a large, open area, clear of trees, buildings and other obstructions.
Launch it and leave it hovering 10-20 feet up and then look at the settings.

What part of the settings? What am I looking for? Are there fans? Should I hear the fans? I appreciate the reply but that didn't help me very much.
2020-6-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

RCHI Posted at 6-14 06:09
What part of the settings? What am I looking for? Are there fans? Should I hear the fans? I appreciate the reply but that didn't help me very much.

You said you were going through the settings for 15 minutes with the drone powered on.
That's the cause of the overheating.
There is no setting related to overheating.
If you want to leave it powered on for 15 minutes, do it with the drone hovering in the air and lots of air moving around it.
2020-6-14
Use props
RCHI
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 6-14 06:42
You said you were going through the settings for 15 minutes with the drone powered on.

Let me rephrase. Are there fans? And should I hear them?
2020-6-14
Use props
RCHI
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 6-14 06:42

Is it typical for the Drone to overheat when not in motion?
2020-6-14
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Are there any fans, yes 4 big ones!
Yes, it will get very warm, if you have it sat on a table or bench indoors?

So as advised, take it outside, fly or hoover and it will cool itself with the airflow.

2020-6-14
Use props
RCHI
lvl.1
United States

Can you hear the fans? Are they on all the time? Can you hear them? Where are they located? Fan and controller and drone?
2020-6-14
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

RCHI Posted at 6-14 07:05
Can you hear the fans? Are they on all the time? Can you hear them? Where are they located? Fan and controller and drone?

On the end of the arms, you can't miss them(providing you have fitted them on).

As previously advised, just go into an open space, away from any roads, people, trees, power lines or buildings and have a little fly once your home position has been recorded.

I assume you have calibrated everything in your 15 mins of checking - Enjoy.
2020-6-14
Use props
RCHI
lvl.1
United States

Can you hear the fans? Are they on all the time? Can you hear them? Where are they located? Fan and controller and drone?
2020-6-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

RCHI Posted at 6-14 07:10
Can you hear the fans? Are they on all the time? Can you hear them? Where are they located? Fan and controller and drone?

The drone will overheat if you leave it sitting and powered on for that long.
Don't leave it sitting and powered on.
Go and fly it and it won't overheat.
2020-6-14
Use props
RCHI
lvl.1
United States

Again, not much help. I have rephrased my question several times to get more specific and neither of you have offered any good advice. Please don't respond to this post again.  

Can anyone with technical knowledge of the Phantom 4 Pro help me?
2020-6-14
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ok, I won't respond anymore.

Damn !  I just have, sorry.

2020-6-14
Use props
1Eagle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 290348 ft
United States

RCHI Posted at 6-14 07:28
Again, not much help. I have rephrased my question several times to get more specific and neither of you have offered any good advice. Please don't respond to this post again.  

Can anyone with technical knowledge of the Phantom 4 Pro help me?

There are no internal fans, so , no you cannot hear them.
The drone is air cooled so it needs to be flying.
It will overheat just sitting on the table powered up.
You have been given the best advice possible at this point.
Take it out, launch it and let it hover while you adjust settings.
Welcome to the forum and to the fun and exciting world of drone flying.
No need to take Labroids comments personal.
He has an interesting sense of humor and he is quite knowledgeable.
I have learned a lot from him and many others on this forum.
Including how to be snarky..... wicked grin
2020-6-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Ryan. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiries. Yes, there are cooling fans on your DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2 internally. I would also recommended for you to watch multiple DJI official tutorial videos for you to be able to get some tips on who to maintain the said drone ( https://www.dji.com/phantom-4-pro-v2/video ). In addition to this I will post a DJI video on DJI Phantom 4 Pro - Pre-Flight Checklist.  Thank you and have a safe flight always.

2020-6-17
Use props
RCHI
lvl.1
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-17 19:52
Hello there Ryan. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiries. Yes, there are cooling fans on your DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2 internally. I would also recommended for you to watch multiple DJI official tutorial videos for you to be able to get some tips on who to maintain the said drone ( https://www.dji.com/phantom-4-pro-v2/video ). In addition to this I will post a DJI video on DJI Phantom 4 Pro - Pre-Flight Checklist.  Thank you and have a safe flight always.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77t6uc2gVvU

Thanks DJI Stephen.  I have been watching a lot of videos I haven't seen them all yet.
So let me ask you about the fans...  how do you know if fans are working?
I've noticed there's a lot of bad information on the forums. As you can see by the responses I received before yours.
2020-6-19
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 835725 ft
United Kingdom

RCHI Posted at 6-19 02:51
Thanks DJI Stephen.  I have been watching a lot of videos I haven't seen them all yet.
I've noticed there's a lot of bad information on the forums. As you can see by the responses I received before yours.

Hello, there is indeed a Sunon internal fan fitted in the camera gimbal housing unit. Watch this video at 1:10 to see position. I would imagine it will only run when AC is powered on and you probably wouldn't know if it is running unless you disassemble the unit.
2020-6-19
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 835725 ft
United Kingdom

I've noticed there's a lot of bad information on the forums. As you can see by the responses I received before yours.

Hello, there is indeed a Sunon internal fan fitted in the camera gimbal housing unit. Watch this video at 1:10 to see position. I would imagine it will only run when AC is powered on and you probably wouldn't know if it is running unless you disassemble the unit.
2020-6-19
Use props
1Eagle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 290348 ft
United States

Pleomax Posted at 6-19 06:30

Thanks Pleomax.
Excellent and informative video.
2020-6-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there RCHI. Thank you for ther reply. The cooling fan inside the DJI drone will spin when the said drone is starting up. The spinning speed will vary from the temperature of the said drone, the faster it spins, the louder sound you might hear. In addition if there is no error message in the DJI application with regards to temperature and the performance of the drone then that is normal. Thank you.
2020-6-22
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you are leaving the drone powered on but not flying set up a fan or more than one to blow 'cold' air over the drone, I have had a P3 sitting for an hour downloading flight logs with a fan blow air over it
2020-6-25
Use props
RCHI
lvl.1
United States

Another question. With the built-in screen on the Phantom 4 Pro V2 I'm unable to download apps. Am I doing something wrong? It was preloaded with a few that I'll never use.
2020-6-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

RCHI Posted at 6-25 15:44
Another question. With the built-in screen on the Phantom 4 Pro V2 I'm unable to download apps. Am I doing something wrong? It was preloaded with a few that I'll never use.

Another question. With the built-in screen on the Phantom 4 Pro V2
If it has an integrated screen, it's called a P4 pro+ V2.0.

I'm unable to download apps. Am I doing something wrong? It was preloaded with a few that I'll never use.

You're a bit late to the party.
Since the P4 pro+ came out (3.5 years ago), it has been a closed system and does not allow installing 3rd party apps.
2020-6-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules