Why do I always have issues in this area?
768 33 2020-6-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

No matter if I am using the Mini or the MA2, there always seem to be issues flying through the area encircled in the image below. Sometimes it is loss of video, other times the drone does strange sudden movements. It has never been so bad as to stop a flight but has come close. I do know that there is a small helipad as shown in the image but have no idea if there could be a cause associated with helicopter equipment there. The area is clear of any restrictions for miles around although I do seem to remember a note about helicopter traffic being possible. I think I have seen or heard the owner's small helicopter maybe once or twice a year. Any chance there is some kind of radio/beacon equipment there that could cause the problems?

problem area.png
2020-6-14
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Do you get compass errors? Does the app pop up any warnings in terms of flight restrictions such as entering Zone C, D etc, does it happen at higher altitudes? Could be a number of variables that cause it but more than likely some form of interference for sure. Anyone that owns a house of that size with 6 jettys and a heli pad must have some sort of beacon in the vicinity.
2020-6-14
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Is there a crashed UFO under the water at that point?

But seriously, If the helipad is only used a couple times a year then I'd expect it unlikely to have an active beacon. Do you get radio interference warnings?
2020-6-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

It is more like WiFi interference from the nearby houses. You could try putting your phone into WiFi search mode in settings and see if it detects WiFi transmissions.
2020-6-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Out to the east off Florida there is a larger, well known triangular mystery area.
You may have discovered the smaller Gulf Coast Circle?

But from the image and description, it doesn't look like there would be anything there to physically cause disruption.
If you have any flight data from an incident there and/or more detailed description of the phenomena observed there, by all means post them for further analysis.
2020-6-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I suppose WiFi could be a cause. The huge waterfront home is used by the owner of the RV park behind it. I bet they supply WiFi to the RV's there. And maybe their setup is a bit too "loud"? His house is a very large one with a metal roof.

rv park.png
2020-6-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 6-14 18:04
It is more like WiFi interference from the nearby houses. You could try putting your phone into WiFi search mode in settings and see if it detects WiFi transmissions.

I think I will try that. I even have a wifi signal level app on my normal phone. Just have to put the boat in the water....any old excuse ;-)
2020-6-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 6-14 16:50
Do you get compass errors? Does the app pop up any warnings in terms of flight restrictions such as entering Zone C, D etc, does it happen at higher altitudes? Could be a number of variables that cause it but more than likely some form of interference for sure. Anyone that owns a house of that size with 6 jettys and a heli pad must have some sort of beacon in the vicinity.

No flight restriction warnings or notices.
2020-6-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 6-14 18:32
I think I will try that. I even have a wifi signal level app on my normal phone. Just have to put the boat in the water....any old excuse ;-)

Yes, the RV park is a highly likely source of strong WiFi competition. Another one is large schools, if there are any in the area.
2020-6-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 6-14 20:31
Yes, the RV park is a highly likely source of strong WiFi competition. Another one is large schools, if there are any in the area.

No schools within 2 miles.
2020-6-14
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

GaryDoug Posted at 6-14 20:34

Another possibility in such environment is a marine radar. I had close encounters twice with my drones. In both cases compass error was reported and drone entered Atti mode, which switched itself back into P-mode after controlled flight up and away.
2020-6-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 6-14 22:13
Another possibility in such environment is a marine radar. I had close encounters twice with my drones. In both cases compass error was reported and drone entered Atti mode, which switched itself back into P-mode after controlled flight up and away.

Almost all my flying is in close proximity to ships that all have operating radar.
If radar caused any issues, I'd have noticed something more than 1000 flights ago.
2020-6-14
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 6-14 20:34

What's your flight location in relation to the bermuda circle, do you have LOS
2020-6-14
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 6-14 18:33
No flight restriction warnings or notices.

Interesting why it happens at that specific spot every time. Let us know when you've found out more.
2020-6-14
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Just the theory but maybe the metal roof reflects Wifi (or other radiation) to this place and it causes interference?
2020-6-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

virtual Posted at 6-14 23:59
Just the theory but maybe the metal roof reflects Wifi (or other radiation) to this place and it causes interference?

Probably not.
People fly over and around metal roofs every day without any issues.
2020-6-15
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sample with the Mini:
2020-6-16
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Another one with the Mini:
2020-6-16
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

With the MA2 this time. The whole flight and file restarted in mid-air at the beginning, was in sport mode.
2020-6-16
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Rowed out to the area today and took a look with a wifi strength app on my phone. There were at least 20 stations with signals above -70db. My front yard has only one at that level or higher (mine) and there are several more, all much lower than -70db. I am about 1000 feet down river.
2020-6-16
Use props
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Sounds like a lot of interference in the area then. I was around 1000m out yesterday above water at a large boat dock. There is a big motor boat club behind the dock. I wanted some top downs of the boats but every time I got over them I got bad interference. It was weird though because I could go out further to the side past the club but in front where the boats were I got interference. I have shot here before too from a similar spot across the river. With all the Covid-19 stuff going on though the club may have been closed previously when I last flew there so I was thinking perhaps it's the wifi from the club interfering with my signal now it is back open.
2020-6-16
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

it is the real bemuda here
2020-6-16
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well maybe there is that spot you circled where 30 to 50 home wiFi signals all come together right there.......from both sides of the river/lake.....

Possible?

Randy
2020-6-16
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this matter. That area where you are flying the may have interference that is interfering with drone signal that's why you are experiencing some issue when flying on that said area. Again, I am sorry for the trouble and please fly safe always.
2020-6-22
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looks like a nice spot to dive on and check it out.  Or snorkel if it is shallow.  I'm betting it's WiFi interference from the RV park though.
2020-6-22
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-22 13:08
Looks like a nice spot to dive on and check it out.  Or snorkel if it is shallow.  I'm betting it's WiFi interference from the RV park though.

Wow, there must be a thousand boats going through there every day. It's the main channel for the river. Might be a bit risky ;-)
It happened again yesterday at exactly the same place.

2020-6-22
Use props
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 6-22 13:17
Wow, there must be a thousand boats going through there every day. It's the main channel for the river. Might be a bit risky ;-)

Do you have any range extenders? Perhaps try with some Yagi extenders and see what happens in the same spot..
2020-6-22
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

22340179 Posted at 6-22 14:16
Do you have any range extenders? Perhaps try with some Yagi extenders and see what happens in the same spot..

I have some on order for the Mini. But I do have the same problem with the MA2.
2020-6-22
Use props
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 6-22 14:20
I have some on order for the Mini. But I do have the same problem with the MA2.

That's interesting, because the MA2 doesn't use wifi. Perhaps there is some kind of magnetic interference in the area.
2020-6-22
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

22340179 Posted at 6-22 14:40
That's interesting, because the MA2 doesn't use wifi. Perhaps there is some kind of magnetic interference in the area.

But they are using the same frequencies.
2020-6-22
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, probably too dangerous then.  I'm still betting on wifi interference from the RV complex.
2020-6-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

What was it that happened again?
Was it just glitchy live view which is the kind of thing you'd get with wifi interference or was it something else?
In your OP you also mentioned other times the drone does strange sudden movements which isn't something that could be attributed to wifi interference.
Can you give any more details or data about the unexpected movements?
2020-6-22
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Video dropout yesterday. But after going far beyond that point, it was ok. So whatever it is is very localized, not just far away.

Sudden movements varied. But sometimes the camera gimbal would swivel to the side and back to original position. Other times, it looks like the whole drone swings briefly to one side and stays there.  Again, these only happen in that area. Beyond or closer or far to either side and there is no problem.
2020-6-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 6-22 18:30
Video dropout yesterday. But after going far beyond that point, it was ok. So whatever it is is very localized, not just far away.

Sudden movements varied. But sometimes the camera gimbal would swivel to the side and back to original position. Other times, it looks like the whole drone swings briefly to one side and stays there.  Again, these only happen in that area. Beyond or closer or far to either side and there is no problem.

If the drone is really swinging around, that would show up in the recorded data, otherwise it could be just the gimbal getting buffetted flying against a wind gust.
Either way, it doesn't sound like anything that interference would cause.
Interference affects video signal or can swamp control signal but doesn't send spurious control signals.
2020-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules