Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark vs Mini photo quality comparison
1241 27 2020-6-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Daniella3d
Second Officer
Canada

Hi, I just did a small test for fun today comparing the Spark to the Mini for the photo quality. The Spark seem to have a lot more sharpening. Here are the 100% crop first and the full photos resized to compare them. You draw your own conclusion, but I saw that the Spark color balance was more blueish, and the Mini more red, on auto white balance. And the sharpening stronger with the Spark. There is detail in the Mini photo.

spark vs mini crop.jpg
spark vs mini crop2.jpg
DJI_0085Sb.jpg
DJI_0025S.jpg
2020-6-15
Use props
m80116
Captain
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Thanks Daniella for your input. Your post is a wonderful example of one quite obviously sharpened image, and one that is very detailed, without being oversharpened.
Contrary to lately moved criticism on some allegedly Mavic Mini sharpening I've had my say in this post Thread ID=214529 Post ID=2149074 and also did a video test comparing the Mini with my other small cameras, a GoPro Hero 6 Black and a Samsung Galaxy S9+ [VIDEO] Comparison Mavic Mini VS GoPro VS Galaxy S9+
What I found is that not only the Mini has the best highlight retention of the bunch, a very good dynamic range but also at 1080p and 2.7K 30 fps has the most detail retention of the group, that is very apprent in the yellow straws, the bushes and dense vegetation areas.

Now let me sum this up:

- Best dynamic range
- Most detail
- Least amount of sharpening (I am considering videos)
- Best stabilization by far... even compared to a dedicated action camera like the GoPro Hero 6 Black! It's like working with one of those expensive Steadycams.

Now I don't advocate one should use a Mini as a ground camera cause it has so many drawbacks: it overheats, it has no audio, it needs a remote and a mobile device at the same time, it's unwieldy, straight from camera the video is dull and flattened towards the shadows. But... give or take the quality is better than the GoPro (OK I give the GoPro the edge because it has 4K) but the camera still remains a marvel of engineering, thinking that all of this is housed in a gimbal inside a drone! And costs about the same as the GoPro that doens't even come with mounting accessories... how about that!?

s-l16001.jpg
s-l16003.jpg
2020-6-15
Use props
Daniella3d
Second Officer
Canada

Interesting. I think the Spark might be orversharpened but not the Mini. Maybe it depend on the monitor people are watching their footage with. I know my monitor is not set to be very sharp, but my friend set is sharpening quite high on his monitor so every pic and video look a lot more sharpened than with my monitor.  
2020-6-15
Use props
First Officer
Flight distance : 4487175 ft
Australia

Nice comparisons. The image is definitely nicer with the mini. Oversharpening everything isn't as pleasing on the eye. That being said though, the mini does apply sharpening to images and we have asked if we could have the option to control it.

I was surprised this week comparing the Mini with the Mavic Air. I was looking at upgrading to an MA as they are a lot cheaper now that the new one came out. I originally wanted a Mavic Pro but the technology is so old that the image and video quality is better on the mini. But on YouTube several comparison videos had the mini as better image/video than the Air in several different YouTuber videos. Obviously the Air does have RAW for Photo settings so that is a big advantage but overall they said the mini wins out over it which I was quite surprised about. Even the 4K video they said the mini still looked better in 2.7k. I'll post just two of the videos I watched from well know YouTubers below...

2020-6-15
Use props
Daniella3d
Second Officer
Canada

wow, that's amazing. thanks for posting those videos!
2020-6-15
Use props
First Officer
Australia

Daniella3d Posted at 6-15 15:18
wow, that's amazing. thanks for posting those videos!

You're welcome. Interesting stuff though huh, especially when it's not just the opinion of one YouTuber. If you search on Youtube a lot of others say the same thing. So I really don't know what drone I will upgrade to now. I can't really justify spending close to 2 grand AUS for the Mavic Air 2 (my wife would kill me) so I might just stick with my mini for awhile. Not so fussed on the Air if the Mini takes a better photo/video...
2020-6-15
Use props
9to5Voyager
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5108980 ft
United States

22340179 Posted at 6-15 13:15
Nice comparisons. The image is definitely nicer with the mini. Oversharpening everything isn't as pleasing on the eye. That being said though, the mini does apply sharpening to images and we have asked if we could have the option to control it.

I was surprised this week comparing the Mini with the Mavic Air. I was looking at upgrading to an MA as they are a lot cheaper now that the new one came out. I originally wanted a Mavic Pro but the technology is so old that the image and video quality is better on the mini. But on YouTube several comparison videos had the mini as better image/video than the Air in several different YouTuber videos. Obviously the Air does have RAW for Photo settings so that is a big advantage but overall they said the mini wins out over it which I was quite surprised about. Even the 4K video they said the mini still looked better in 2.7k. I'll post just two of the videos I watched from well know YouTubers below...

Awesome video! Super useful.
2020-6-15
Use props
9to5Voyager
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5108980 ft
United States

The Mini does have a surprisingly good camera, especially for the money.
2020-6-15
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nice and informative. Well done.
2020-6-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
Super Moderator

Hello there Daniella3d. Thank you for reaching out and for creating this post on photo quality comparison between the DJI Spark and the DJI Mavic Mini. In addition I will post a link where in you can also compare the specifications of both the DJI Spark and the DJI Mavic Mini and with other DJI consumer drones ( https://www.dji.com/products/com ... ndsite&from=nav ). Again, great shots and thank you for your support.
2020-6-17
Use props
Daniella3d
Second Officer
Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-17 22:36
Hello there Daniella3d. Thank you for reaching out and for creating this post on photo quality comparison between the DJI Spark and the DJI Mavic Mini. In addition I will post a link where in you can also compare the specifications of both the DJI Spark and the DJI Mavic Mini and with other DJI consumer drones ( https://www.dji.com/products/comparison-consumer-drones?site=brandsite&from=nav ). Again, great shots and thank you for your support.

thanks for the info!
2020-6-18
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very informative - good work
2020-6-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
Flight distance : 525 ft
United States

Nice comparisons.  The Mini does have a good camera, especially for the price.
2020-6-18
Use props
Daniella3d
Second Officer
Canada

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-18 05:33
Nice comparisons.  The Mini does have a good camera, especially for the price.

The mini is amazing for the price! DJI is the best.
2020-6-18
Use props
amferreira
Second Officer
Flight distance : 263225 ft
Portugal

22340179 Posted at 6-15 13:15
Nice comparisons. The image is definitely nicer with the mini. Oversharpening everything isn't as pleasing on the eye. That being said though, the mini does apply sharpening to images and we have asked if we could have the option to control it.

I was surprised this week comparing the Mini with the Mavic Air. I was looking at upgrading to an MA as they are a lot cheaper now that the new one came out. I originally wanted a Mavic Pro but the technology is so old that the image and video quality is better on the mini. But on YouTube several comparison videos had the mini as better image/video than the Air in several different YouTuber videos. Obviously the Air does have RAW for Photo settings so that is a big advantage but overall they said the mini wins out over it which I was quite surprised about. Even the 4K video they said the mini still looked better in 2.7k. I'll post just two of the videos I watched from well know YouTubers below...

The reason for a better image on the Mini is the newer and better image processor of the Mini.
2020-6-18
Use props
Daniella3d
Second Officer
Canada

amferreira Posted at 6-18 08:02
The reason for a better image on the Mini is the newer and better image processor of the Mini.

I read that it has the same sensor as the Mavic pro?
2020-6-18
Use props
djiuser_0sznpSoW5hVC
First Officer
Flight distance : 314820 ft
Canada

This is excellent thanks!
2020-6-18
Use props
First Officer
Australia

Daniella3d Posted at 6-18 09:42

Yes, and the Mavic Air also. The only real difference is the others have RAW for photo's where the mini does not and 4k video but the video still looks better from the mini to be honest.
2020-6-18
Use props
m80116
Captain
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Ok can I step in with a little insight into what I'll call sensor yield or microprocessor for that matter.

My Workstation has a 2.4 GHz Core 2 architecture microprocessor that I can push to about (take with a pinch of salt, going by memory) 2.8 GHz on VID (stock voltage). From the same exact wafer layer of microprocessors that came mine also were dies that could go as high as 3.0 GHz with the same voltage or thereabouts (I believe mine has a VID of 1.3 V dead) as the CPU I have. Basically the same lithography had a considerably better yield on some dies, so not all were equal. Now, they pretty much know the ratio between the very bests and the poorest even before they start the production, and mine has a pretty respectable performance considering I run it at 3.0 GHz and dissipating (by my calculations) about 130 Watts of power (stock should be 95 Watts).

Now back to CMOS sensors... well, I believe not all CMOS sensors are created equal, and so... even the very same sensor could have a very different "yield" (let's gloss over the improper term) compared to other peers. But meh... despite me not liking the Quad-Bayer design (as in the MA2) I tend to believe that will be the way for the next M3P, and you can clearly see the difference. I am not saying the M2P dynamic range is shorter by in any means... but compared the Mini with something like the MA2 and you can see a good gain of dynamic range and much less noise... up to a point that one might even start to question whether or not the M2P is still the camera king.

Well it's not the case of debating... we should know a Professional tool has a different target, different options a different app even... but sensor technology is certainly improving, and I wouldn't be surprised to be using the same "chip" that once was on a Mavic Pro (today's M2P has a 1" sensor), still being completely aware that it might be the same although with a very different "yield".
2020-6-18
Use props
amferreira
Second Officer
Portugal

Daniella3d Posted at 6-18 09:42

Mavic 2 Pro
2020-6-18
Use props
amferreira
Second Officer
Portugal

22340179 Posted at 6-18 12:29
Yes, and the Mavic Air also. The only real difference is the others have RAW for photo's where the mini does not and 4k video but the video still looks better from the mini to be honest.

The processor of the Mini is better than the Mavic Air, is the same as the M2P.
2020-6-18
Use props
First Officer
Australia

No it doesn't. The M2P has a 1 inch sensor.
2020-6-18
Use props
amferreira
Second Officer
Portugal

22340179 Posted at 6-18 15:29
No it doesn't. The M2P has a 1 inch sensor.

I was not talking about the image sensor which is the same of the MA and MPro but image processor Ambarella. That why the MM has a better image than MA and MPro with the same sensor.
2020-6-18
Use props
First Officer
Australia

amferreira Posted at 6-18 16:08
I was not talking about the image sensor which is the same of the MA and MPro but image processor Ambarella. That why the MM has a better image than MA and MPro with the same sensor.

You replied to her post about sensor size saying it was the same as the M2P, she was talking about sensor size nothing to do with the processor.
All Mavic Pro's = Ambarella A9 - (Ancient, terrible piece of crap that originally appeared on the GoPro 3)
Phantom 4 Pro = Ambarella H1 (Great chip with 100mbp/s and HEVC)
Mavic Air = Ambarella H1
Mavic 2 Pro= H22
Mavic Mini - H3

Today we have the Ambarella H2, H22 and H3 chips which are far more powerful than the H1 now. The Ambarella H3 can actually do 4k at 120fps and 8K at 30p. But DJI commented on this and the overheating was an issue shooting 4K apparently with the mini. Specwise though it is possible. So it's no secret why the mini takes such good shots in comparison to it's larger counterparts.

2020-6-18
Use props
Daniella3d
Second Officer
Canada

that explains a lot. Thechnology evolve so fast, it's amazing. So if I understand this right, the reason we have 2.7k instead of 4k is because the drone would overheat. I am very happy with the 2.7k anyway, not sure what I would do with 4k larger files, more difficult to process on my older computer.
2020-6-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
Super Moderator

Daniella3d Posted at 6-18 04:36
thanks for the info!

Hi there Daniella3d. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. If you have any questions or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you.
2020-6-19
Use props
First Officer
Australia

Daniella3d Posted at 6-18 18:47
that explains a lot. Thechnology evolve so fast, it's amazing. So if I understand this right, the reason we have 2.7k instead of 4k is because the drone would overheat. I am very happy with the 2.7k anyway, not sure what I would do with 4k larger files, more difficult to process on my older computer.

Yes, the mini has no internal fans and relies on air passing through it to cool itself. Even on normal flights today I noticed the battery temp at 35c (it was around 25c temperature outside so not overly hot). That’s not too high but it is winter here in Sydney so imagine in summer...
2020-6-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2164990 ft
Netherlands

They did improve a lot!
2020-6-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules