ND Filter Gimbal Shake
5721 21 2020-6-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_ExnJkDrBlzW7
lvl.1
Austria

Hi,

After the manual exposure settings have been integrated with the latest firmware, I bought ND Filters for a perfect image.

Unfortunately my Mavic Mini suffers from severe gimbal shake when I use the filters.

Not from the beginning, but after couple of minutes the shake starts and doesn´t stop until I power off the mini and let it rest for some time.

At the moment I even have two brands at home: Skyreat and Freewell
Both with the same issue.

For now I can´t use ND Filter.
Does someone else experienced the same behavior?
2020-6-15
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Seems like temperature related. I've had no problem flying in 30°C weather with my SunnyLife filters.
2020-6-15
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

m80116 Posted at 6-15 09:39
Seems like temperature related. I've had no problem flying in 30°C weather with my SunnyLife filters.

REally? so in colder temperature it was not work well? what's the temperature range that it will work well?
2020-6-15
Use props
djiuser_ExnJkDrBlzW7
lvl.1
Austria

Aprox. 25°C last time i had the mavic in the air with the gimbal shaking... Also shaking indoor @ 23°C...
2020-6-15
Use props
djiuser_ExnJkDrBlzW7
lvl.1
Austria

...here's a short video of that shake ...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bi0ly3he073foos/Mavic%20Mini%20Gimbal%20Shake.mp4?dl=0
2020-6-15
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

I've never had any particular problem with my Mini's gimbal but I've noticed a couple of video on YT of MM gimbals doing weird things in sub-zero temperatures and also, according to our Austrian fellow MM pilot the shake doesn't start immediately and will go away after some minutes of inactivity, this sounds much like gimbal overload.

I am not sure whether I can technically speculate on this one but permanent metallic magnet field can collapse with temperature increase. The hypothetical solution would be operating in a colder environment or reduce the gimbal load.
2020-6-15
Use props
Donsir_LTU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1043940 ft
Lithuania

I'm using Sunnylife and no problems at all
2020-6-15
Use props
djiuser_ExnJkDrBlzW7
lvl.1
Austria

I consent that it's a temperature issue because the camera in warmer conditions is getting quite hot.

But in summer a ND filter usually is a necessary piece of equipment. Especially now with manual settings.

The Osmo Pocket e.g. got an firmware update to operate properly with an ND filter.

2020-6-15
Use props
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I have Sunnylife and never had any issues with gimbal shake.
2020-6-15
Use props
marty_mc_fly
lvl.1
Austria

My lightest filter is the skyreat with 0.92g

So maybe the sunnylife filter with 0.76-0.8g is a good alternative.

But I hope DJI could tweak the firmware a little bit like they did on the OSMO Pocket.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-204322-1-1.html

(username changed)
2020-6-15
Use props
Traxx119
lvl.4
Canada

I've been using Skyreat filters and have not experienced gimbal shake or any other problems.
2020-6-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. I am sorry to know that you are having issue with the gimbal of your DJI Mavic Mini when using a ND Filter. DJI does not recommend you to your 3rd party accessories on your DJI Mavic Mini. These 3rd party accessories like ND filters might affect the said DJI drone when in use. Actually, there is a possibility that these 3rd party accessories will be able work. However, since it's not optimized and tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the stability of the said 3rd party accessory if it will work all the time with no issues and might void the warranty of the said DJI product. In addition I will post a link for additional reference with regards to this matter ( https://forum.dji.com/thread-205255-1-1.html ). Thank you and have a safe flight always.
2020-6-21
Use props
djiuser_X46FL6gw6Lmj
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3136854 ft
Canada

Yes my mavic mini do vibrate and shake when the freewell filtes are install.
2020-8-13
Use props
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The gimbal is fragile on the mini. I have Sunnylife filters but I don't use them. I found no need for them. I found the colours look much better without them. Even with a CPL filter the water looks better without it.
2020-8-13
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I really don't see a need for an ND filter for the mini.  Just my $ .002
2020-8-13
Use props
ThalisBl
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I have the Skyreat ones and it is not vibrate at all so far
2020-8-14
Use props
djiuser_fnNEFTURJqA2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2878268 ft
United Kingdom

I have the same problem Freewell. The gimbal is like a wet dogs head. Just hates the filters. Going to send them back to amazon
2021-6-2
Use props
MickeyMooMoo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2878268 ft
United Kingdom

djiuser_fnNEFTURJqA2 Posted at 6-2 12:58
I have the same problem Freewell. The gimbal is like a wet dogs head. Just hates the filters. Going to send them back to amazon

Update. I updated the firmware and calibrated the gimbal. Everything seems ok now. I kept the filter and pleased with the results. Going to get some ND filters next and experiment with the manual settings.
2021-6-25
Use props
spanzetta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1124738 ft
Italy

I just bought the Freeweel CPL Filter and I saw exactly the same shaking.. but not all the times..

Did you find a solution for this problem?

Is there someone using it with no issues?

2022-1-5
Use props
aairon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72831 ft

United States

spanzetta Posted at 1-5 07:32
I just bought the Freeweel CPL Filter and I saw exactly the same shaking.. but not all the times..

Did you find a solution for this problem?

try looking at the post right before yours.
2022-1-5
Use props
spanzetta
lvl.4
Italy

aairon Posted at 1-5 08:18
try looking at the post right before yours.

But I already have the latest FW.. that post is of 6 month ago.. and it is related to ND filters while my one is CPL which is different (PGTECH recalled its CPL filter because of shaking but NOT its ND Filter which apparently doesn't cause problems)

Any other suggestions?

If i don't find a solution I think I will give it back to Amazon.
2022-1-5
Use props
spanzetta
lvl.4
Italy

I found no solution so I returned it to Amazon..

I think that such product should not be available on the market (PGYTECH retired it)..
2022-1-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules