Uncontrolled Water Crash
7469 55 2020-6-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DrivingBraeside
lvl.1

Canada

Hi!

I found the correct log for the crash: https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/2OBGZHJ2X046Y73TJXSK

Thanks again for all your help, and please let me know if I can provide anything else
2020-7-9
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DrivingBraeside Posted at 7-9 10:26
Hi!

I found the correct log for the crash: https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/2OBGZHJ2X046Y73TJXSK

Hi,

Not seen lately on MM after the last firmware update, but your MM had a uncontrolled descend! see the height line turns red line top chart indicating uncontrolled down!

At the end of your flight MM was flyinng towards HP, with full fwd stick only about 10 degrees pitch down in sport mode. Distance to home not decreasing but slowlly increasing, probably fighting some wind.

Few times this message " Lower altitude immediately and Return to Home manually | Strong wind warning. Aircraft unable to Return to Home automatically"

My advice is to open a case with DJI.

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2020-7-9
Use props
DrivingBraeside
lvl.1

Canada

Hey JJB - thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

Will open case with DJI now, thanks again!
2020-7-9
Use props
matstrd
lvl.1
Norway

matstrd Posted at 6-16 12:59
My Mavic mini also took a dive four days ago. Did not respond to controller. Lost in the river. Regret that I didn't paint it in a fluorescent color.
Pilot error it seems, lesson learned

https://app.airdata.com/share/OgWagl

https://app.airdata.com/share/WIrguZ

https://app.airdata.com/share/qLfjBM

2020-7-12
Use props
Yellowknife3
lvl.2

Canada

Just an update for everyone that I'm still going back and forth with DJI. It has been the worst customer service I've ever experienced. They keep asking me to do the same things over and over and each person that emails me asks for brand new information each time. They have the unit and sent me a bill for repair. I replied and indicated this was not pilot error, so then they decided to look into it - it was like nobody paid any attention to the case file and just assumed I was sending it in for repairs on my dime. I don't know where the support staff are located, but this has been a nightmare. If this stuff is farmed out to other countries then that would explain it. On the plus side i've been loving my Mavic Air 2, but good god had I known their service was this brutal I would have looked at other options for manufacturers. Maybe they're all the same. Service matters to me. One thing is certain, if they don't fix it for free i'm not paying them to ship it back, they can keep it. I'm beyond disappointed with their customer service and the Mavic Mini. Seems it was rushed to market with uncontrolled decent issues.
2020-8-24
Use props
djiuser_RIeSM3mAo5mf
lvl.4
Flight distance : 542083 ft
Spain

Did you use sport or position mode? I guess that You didnt use C-MODE, right?
2020-8-24
Use props
Yellowknife3
lvl.2

Canada

djiuser_RIeSM3mAo5mf Posted at 8-24 12:02
Did you use sport or position mode? I guess that You didnt use C-MODE, right?

position mode.
2020-8-25
Use props
Yellowknife3
lvl.2

Canada

Update to this, DJI refused to repair the mini under warranty indicating that it had water damage.

I know it had water damage! It dropped out of the sky and crashed into the water! The point is, I didn't tell it to lose altitude.

I've had so many emails with different agents at DJI in China that I've lost count. Finally I asked to speak to a supervisor on the phone. We just had a 30 minute call that cut off 3 times. The result being that I have filed a dispute against their findings that I was at fault. He said the Data Analysis Team reviewed my flight log and didn't see an issue with the logs. Why couldn't they see that there was no controller input to descend? I have no idea. Over the course of this mess they sent me the wrong instructions more than once to upload flight logs manually, sending me directions for other drone models and for the DJI GO app, not DJI FLY. I told the guy all of this on the phone. I asked him to resend me the instructions to provide DJI the logs they want so that they can look at them again, cause I don't know what they're looking at when they can't see what you guys saw here. He then said the result of the dispute will provide 1 of 3 options. 1 - they will not repair the drone for free 2 - they will repair it for free 3 - they will repair it at a 50% discount to me. They said I knew the result of the data analysis and didn't dispute it until now. I said no, nobody told me anything about a result for a data analysis until now. All I kept getting was emails that I better pay the bill or they'd send the drone back in disrepair.

What a frustrating company to deal with. My advice to anyone buying a drone from them, buy DJI Care no matter what. This hassle is a disaster to deal with. Language barriers and a lack of organization on the companies part leads to terrible customer service. We'll see what happens next.
2020-9-11
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

Yellowknife3 Posted at 9-11 12:38
Update to this, DJI refused to repair the mini under warranty indicating that it had water damage.

I know it had water damage! It dropped out of the sky and crashed into the water! The point is, I didn't tell it to lose altitude.

It is hit and miss. I had a replacement unit from them due to uncommandeered descent of the previous unit and it has been ok so far. All they did was looking at the log and say ok we have a fault in the barosensor let us check and do a repair. Then they thought it is not worth repairing so just gave me a new unit (not in a box). Sorry for your encounter. I find a lot of patience and communication helped. My case did not go as fast as I wanted but I rather them deal with it properly...
2020-9-11
Use props
AMIR_king
First Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

matstrd Posted at 6-16 12:59
My Mavic mini also took a dive four days ago. Did not respond to controller. Lost in the river. Regret that I didn't paint it in a fluorescent color.

I'm sorry about your loss. If it truly wasn't pilot error, DJI will give you a refund.
2020-9-15
Use props
Yellowknife3
lvl.2

Canada

Update on this; after 5 months, 37 emails and 3 phone calls and a lawyer involved on my end, DJI has finally agreed to replace my drone under warranty. I can't imagine 99% of people bothering to go through the hell that I did to fight for the warrantied repair/replacement of this drone. I can't believe the process it took, and I am glad that they changed their minds. I literally could write a book about what all went on during this. It was a mess and honestly feels like had I been dealing with the most recent person I was assigned to in the last 2 weeks way back when this started, it wouldn't have turned into a big ordeal.

They most recently said "According to our engineers, the crash was not caused by human error, therefore, repairs/replacement will be covered under warranty". It's basically what I was saying to them over and over and over again. I didn't fly it into the water. It was hovering, and it suddenly went down. Was I totally innocent? No. Did I fly it into the water? No. It malfunctioned and crashed and I didn't see it coming.

The case had to be appealed twice internally at DJI, and on the second appeal is when they confirmed they actually had incomplete flight logs. All this time, up to 2 weeks ago, they never did have the complete logs to review. I was able to manually export and re-send the logs and reexplain everything again, and they confirmed what those of you did who read my logs on this thread. I feel like the lawyer having my back had a big influence on the second appeal taking place. Most people would have given up long ago as a lost cause. I also believe that when the drone was first sent in to be looked at, all they did was examine whether it had water damage and then immediately denied the warranty as a result. I don't think they even considered the story or bothered to look at the logs, especially considering they never did have the complete logs on file after even advising me that they did not see an issue in the logs. People were not doing their jobs on their end and I was being passed around from agent to agent and it felt like they didn't give a crap or bother to seriously look into things until the end.

I stand by my earlier statement - buy DJI Care. Do not screw around with a multi-hundred or thousand dollar unit. The company simply does not have the functionality to support their users properly in the event of an accident or dispute. I am thankful this appears to be resolved now. I wish it didn't waste so many peoples time in the process. On the flip side (knock on wood) my mavic air 2 has been flawless, and yes, it has DJI Care.

I still don't think I can trust the mini though, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it now. It definitely isn't allowed above water.

Thanks for your support and for listening/reading. If anyone ever needs help with their case with DJI, I'm happy to speak with you in detail about it. Corporations will always take the easy way out. They are about profits, and they often rely on the consumer giving up. My advice is don't, but be prepared to battle it out over the long haul. Fortunately I didn't have to spend any money on lawyer fees, but it was definitely headed that way.

Cheers,
YK
2020-10-20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yellowknife3 Posted at 10-20 12:05
Update on this; after 5 months, 37 emails and 3 phone calls and a lawyer involved on my end, DJI has finally agreed to replace my drone under warranty. I can't imagine 99% of people bothering to go through the hell that I did to fight for the warrantied repair/replacement of this drone. I can't believe the process it took, and I am glad that they changed their minds. I literally could write a book about what all went on during this. It was a mess and honestly feels like had I been dealing with the most recent person I was assigned to in the last 2 weeks way back when this started, it wouldn't have turned into a big ordeal.

They most recently said "According to our engineers, the crash was not caused by human error, therefore, repairs/replacement will be covered under warranty". It's basically what I was saying to them over and over and over again. I didn't fly it into the water. It was hovering, and it suddenly went down. Was I totally innocent? No. Did I fly it into the water? No. It malfunctioned and crashed and I didn't see it coming.

Thanks for the update, what a bad story for DJI.

And it is so simple, if they had a look at post #22   

happy many landings with your replacement MM.

PS i fly a lot over water.....so get some confidence in your MM.

cheers
JJB
2020-10-21
Use props
djiuser_Z1GGG7p4i4fo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210535 ft
United Kingdom

Yes I found too have the same problem while flying my mini in kefalonia close too the shore. It was fine flying but as soon as you hovered around 2meters it just wanted descend. Lucky I was close to shore so I could fly it back without any trouble. Still flew it over water was just more aware
2020-10-21
Use props
MarcelMG
lvl.2
Flight distance : 173268 ft

Germany

Yellowknife3 Posted at 10-20 12:05

Hi, good to hear that in the end you received a satisfactory solution to your issue.
I am in a similar situation, my drone dipped in the sea with an unprovoked (or uncommanded) descent.
It dropped from 8m height in less than 2 seconds in the sea.
I am waiting now for more than 2 weeks ( )  on an analisys and decision from DJI based on the flightrecords and other info I provided. The logs clearly show that I didnt touch the controller but the drone dropped.
If DJI refuses a replacement (my drone has been in seawater and doesnt startup any more) or refund I will probably have to ask the seller (a very reputable Dutch online shop)  to assist.  I will keep you all updated in my thread.
2020-10-21
Use props
djiuser_EpcZ5ZSvdr1b
New

France

Hello everyone

Just encountered the same issue with my MM drone.
Crossing a swimming pool the drone drops down intox the water
Just sent a mail to dji services, let’s see how they will manage it.

Best regards
2021-8-9
Use props
djiuser_7X9VwPtYRqIh
New

Malaysia

djiuser_EpcZ5ZSvdr1b Posted at 8-9 08:01
Hello everyone

Just encountered the same issue with my MM drone.

Rip..how height your mm from water before crash?
2021-8-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules