Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
WRONG No Fly Zone Maps - INTEGRATE LAANC
2295 11 2020-6-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sky_makai
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3397539 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've used DJI products for several years now.  I have several of them, and consider myself quite experienced in using them.  But, due to my recent experiences with my Mavic Pro 2 as well as my Ronin-S, I'm considering ending my patronage and advocation of DJI.
I'm an FAA 14CFR pt.107 Licensed Pilot.  I recently scheduled a flight near an airport.  I used LAANC to obtain authorization to fly up to 50' AGL.  However, my Mavic 2 Pro would not fly.  It said I was in a 'no fly zone'.  I double checked.  LAANC allowed flights up to 50' AGL where I was, but the DJI geofence map said otherwise.  The DJI GEOFENCE MAP IS WRONG.

I understand that DJI has it's geofencing maps which are meant to help prevent ameteur pilots from flying where they shouldn't and causing issues.  But, LAANC should most certainly override geofencing!  If I go through the trouble to jump through all the hoops, it's terribly frustrating to have my DJI product stop me from using it!!

DJI, you NEED to impliment LAANC and have it override geofencing!!

2020-6-15
Use props
SD_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah DJI's GEOfencing totally sucks.  My work around is that have a Autel EVO to deal with such jobs and avoid geofencing headaches.
2020-6-15
Use props
sky_makai
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

SD_Pilot Posted at 6-15 14:26
Yeah DJI's GEOfencing totally sucks.  My work around is that have a Autel EVO to deal with such jobs and avoid geofencing headaches.

Workaround is use a drone that's not DJI!   I hope DJI reads this!
2020-6-15
Use props
JEZ2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

First off, I totally agree that LAANC integration is really important.  It isn't fun first getting legal permission to fly from LAANC, and then get DJI permission to fly, separately.  AND, as noted, the two maps do not line up with each other.

That said, this should not have been a surprise.  If your ceiling is 50 feet, you are clearly very close to an airport and/or in the traffic pattern.  One quick look at the DJI map and it is obvious anything close to an airport is a restricted zone and will require custom authorization from DJI -- and that usually involves sending them proof of your authorization to fly, and having them manually unlock the region for you.  Again, I agree this two step process stinks, but it should not be a surprise to anyone.  It's been that way for years.  These restricted zones don't mean you can't fly and doesn't mean it doesn't line up with LAANC.  It just means you have to get LAANC (or other permission) and then provide that as proof to DJI to unlock it for you.  A little planning makes this a non-issue (other than the hassle of doing it)
2020-6-15
Use props
sky_makai
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

JEZ2 Posted at 6-15 15:21
First off, I totally agree that LAANC integration is really important.  It isn't fun first getting legal permission to fly from LAANC, and then get DJI permission to fly, separately.  AND, as noted, the two maps do not line up with each other.

That said, this should not have been a surprise.  If your ceiling is 50 feet, you are clearly very close to an airport and/or in the traffic pattern.  One quick look at the DJI map and it is obvious anything close to an airport is a restricted zone and will require custom authorization from DJI -- and that usually involves sending them proof of your authorization to fly, and having them manually unlock the region for you.  Again, I agree this two step process stinks, but it should not be a surprise to anyone.  It's been that way for years.  These restricted zones don't mean you can't fly and doesn't mean it doesn't line up with LAANC.  It just means you have to get LAANC (or other permission) and then provide that as proof to DJI to unlock it for you.  A little planning makes this a non-issue (other than the hassle of doing it)

You mean it's been this way for years with DJI, I presume?  Yes, but it needs to change now that we have LAANC.  Why should we have to get permission from the FAA, then give it to the manufacturer of our hardware via email and wait for a response?  It's archaic!  
2020-6-15
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would recommend you take a little time to learn how the DJI geo fencing system works.  Once you learn how it works, it is quite easy to fly pretty much anywhere you want if you’ve got legal authorization to fly there.  I know it isn’t necessarily ideal to have 2 systems, but don’t let that stop you from using the best drones available on the market.
2020-6-15
Use props
sky_makai
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

KlooGee Posted at 6-15 19:14
I would recommend you take a little time to learn how the DJI geo fencing system works.  Once you learn how it works, it is quite easy to fly pretty much anywhere you want if you’ve got legal authorization to fly there.  I know it isn’t necessarily ideal to have 2 systems, but don’t let that stop you from using the best drones available on the market.

If you're referring to the Flysafe online system, I'm familiar with it.  I hate it.  It's clunky and tedious.  I have to use it from a desktop browser because the website doesn't translate correctly to mobile.  It's about time that DJI gets with 2020 and implements LAANC, as they're basically just asking pilots to submit LAANC authorization proof anyway.
2020-6-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there sky_makai. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. I will forward this thread to the designated DJI department for further attention and evaluation. Again, I am sorry and thank you for your understanding and for your support.
2020-6-18
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

sky_makai Posted at 6-17 14:11
If you're referring to the Flysafe online system, I'm familiar with it.  I hate it.  It's clunky and tedious.  I have to use it from a desktop browser because the website doesn't translate correctly to mobile.  It's about time that DJI gets with 2020 and implements LAANC, as they're basically just asking pilots to submit LAANC authorization proof anyway.

I like the idea of integrating LAANC, but LAANC doesn't cover anywhere close to 100% of airports in the US.  LAANC also doesn't account for TFR's and many other types of restricted airspace.  

Also, keep in mind that LAANC is specific to the US and DJI has a whole globe to handle.  So rather than trying to align their geo system with any particular country's regulations, they decided to make a system designed around safety standards.  They aren't interested in keeping you legal, they are interested in keeping your drone and, more importantly, their name out of the headlines and out of the courts.  
2020-6-18
Use props
sky_makai
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-18 00:12
Hello there sky_makai. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. I will forward this thread to the designated DJI department for further attention and evaluation. Again, I am sorry and thank you for your understanding and for your support.

Thank you!  I hope LAANC integration is a priority!
2020-6-23
Use props
djiuser_Gix0o80btYYx
lvl.1
United States

I agree with both the safety aspect of where you should fly and not fly, as well as having an issue with flysafe map. The areas I fly in do not have LAANC access so it is a greater pain to get authorization through the FAA drone zone then go out to the area and your drone won't even take off without hot spotting your smart controller to your phone and DJI authorizing the bypass with you having to digitally sign the three questions to be able to even lift off. I compared the flysafe (GEO Zone) map with the other apps like Kittyhawk, Airmap, and Skyvector and they do not even match as to what is in the zone to fly with or without authorization. I believe FlySafe(GEO Zone) should match all of the other maps that the FAA uses to determine airspace restrictions. If there is a way to link authorizations that would be great but I am guessing there are some restrictions on what DJI can do with our airspace maps and information. Maybe the could work with the names listed above to have a better map then we would all be working on the same page. Just a thought.
2020-6-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

sky_makai Posted at 6-23 14:28
Thank you!  I hope LAANC integration is a priority!

Hi there sky_makai. Thank you for the reply. Rest assured that DJI is doing its best to create and add user-friendly updates for all DJI products in the future. Again thank you for your support and please stay safe always.
2020-6-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules