600 5 2020-6-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Magicdroner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 101086 ft
United States

Hi. Is the following a correct statement? :
When installing a firmware update to a DJI drone firmware updates will also be available for the batteries and remote controller so you must also update all the batteries and the remote controller in order for the drone to operate correctly.
I've now done two different firmware updates to the Mavic Air 2 drone and at that time I had to also update each battery and the remote controller. I was just wondering if the above bold-faced statement holds true every time. Thanks for any help.
2020-6-15
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

When you say "firmware updates will also be available..." it probably should say "may be available".  In other DJI products when you updated the firmware it seems to me the drone version number might change but the RC might not.   I think that's accurate.  When the Fly app says there's an update, you might not know if it's for the MA2 or RC.  You can always go to the Menu>About page and see what components need updating.  When you install a firmware update the RC and MA2 have to have power and the Fly app must be on the Home page to select Install and they all have to be connected as normal.  On the app as you power up, you see the RC connect followed by the MA2.  Once you've installed the update the RC, MA2 and battery in the MA2 are updated (or not, if the update only pertains to one component).  You then need to put each of your other batteries in the MA2 one at a time and the prompt to install firmware will display, if needed.  The Fly app has to be updated through your mobile device.
2020-6-15
Use props
Magicdroner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 101086 ft
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 6-15 23:22
I think that's accurate, although when the Fly app says there's an update, you might not know if it's for the MA2 or RC.  You can always go to the Menu>About page and see what components need updating.  When you install a firmware update the RC and MA2 have to have power and the Fly app must be on the Home page to select Install and they all have to be connected as normal.  On the app you see the RC connect followed by the MA2.  Once you've installed the update the RC, MA2 and battery in the MA2 are updated.  You then need to put each of your other batteries in the MA2 one at a time and the prompt to install firmware will display.

Thanks. I will always update with the DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic using my Windows 10 PC. I've seen posts where when updating using the Fly app sometimes it doesn't prompt that the batteries need updating. Anyway the DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic seems to be the most reliable way to update the firmware in the various components of the Mavic Air 2. It's probably best practice to check whether any of the three components (drone,batteries, RC) have updates available when updating any one individual component.
2020-6-15
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Yeah, as I look now at the Menu>About page I see the RC Firmware does not even have an option to Check for Updates.  It appears both version numbers are the same after today's update but previous to this I had the MA2 at 01.00.0130 and the RC at 01.00.0180.  So to me, this update today was for both MA2 and RC.
2020-6-15
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14044577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It depends on the FW update - some are simple 'bug fixes' that will just require the drone to be updated whilst others, including the most recent one for the Mavic Air 2, will require any spare batteries to be synced too. So after updating the drone and RC be sure to put each remaining battery in and sync them through the app or assistant 2. All 3 of my spare batteries popped up that the firmware update is required via the iOS fly app.
2020-6-15
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to this inquiry, It is recommended to update the drone, battery and remote controller to ensure all hardware are compatible with the new firmware. If you have further concern or inquiry, please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. Thank you.
2020-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules