Mavic Air 2 water survival...
16127 54 2020-6-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
eried
Second Officer
Flight distance : 661362 ft
Norway

I dropped my MP to the sea and it died instantly. But on the disassembly I noticed how everything inside has coats and it well protected.

I would say if yours is still working after a couple of flights just continue using it. Of course it may have some crap inside, but it wont be much more than using it in a humid weather.
2020-6-21
Use props
K3v1n
lvl.2
Flight distance : 158698 ft
United States

eried Posted at 6-21 03:10
I dropped my MP to the sea and it died instantly. But on the disassembly I noticed how everything inside has coats and it well protected.

I would say if yours is still working after a couple of flights just continue using it. Of course it may have some crap inside, but it wont be much more than using it in a humid weather.

So why isn’t yours working now ?? . I sent it back to be on the safe side. I don’t want to be paranoid all the time about a runaway drone due to some corrosion or something I can’t monitor. The question is if they are going to send me a new battery without a fuss or not.
2020-6-21
Use props
MavGuido
lvl.4
Flight distance : 338793 ft
  • >>>
Germany

K3v1n Posted at 6-20 18:39
Where does DJI say that?  Their own promo video has them flying over water.

User manual, Site 17.
2020-6-21
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United Kingdom

MavGuido Posted at 6-20 10:58
DJI says, don´t fly over water.
I never fly over water, even not for money.

No, DJI says fly with caution.

From the manual:

The Vision Systems cannot work properly over surfaces that do not have clear pattern variations. The Vision Systems cannot work properly in any of the following situations. Operate the aircraft cautiously.
a. Flying over monochrome surfaces (e.g., pure black, pure white, pure green). b. Flying over highly reflective surfaces.
c. Flying over water or transparent surfaces.
d. Flying over moving surfaces or objects.
e. Flying in an area where the lighting changes frequently or drastically.
f. Flying over extremely dark (< 10 lux) or bright (> 40,000 lux) surfaces.
g. Flying over surfaces that strongly reflect or absorb infrared waves (e.g., mirrors). h. Flying over surfaces without clear patterns or texture.

2020-6-21
Use props
eried
Second Officer
Norway

K3v1n Posted at 6-21 03:29
So why isn’t yours working now ?? . I sent it back to be on the safe side. I don’t want to be paranoid all the time about a runaway drone due to some corrosion or something I can’t monitor. The question is if they are going to send me a new battery without a fuss or not.

Sea water is a bit different, there is an immediate shortcut, the battery buldges and all the motors get scratchy in a couple of days. I rinsed mine with tap water but was not enough. One of the motor controllers burn and it was unable to take off. If it worked I would still would be flying the same one.
2020-6-22
Use props
K3v1n
lvl.2
United States

eried Posted at 6-22 13:49
Sea water is a bit different, there is an immediate shortcut, the battery buldges and all the motors get scratchy in a couple of days. I rinsed mine with tap water but was not enough. One of the motor controllers burn and it was unable to take off. If it worked I would still would be flying the same one.

How did yours happen?  did you physically drop it or was it flying?
2020-6-22
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

K3v1n Posted at 6-18 00:30
pictures won't show anything.. the battery was submerged in water.  You don't recommend using the battery still do you?

We do not recommend to keep using the water-damaged device, especially the battery for the safety concern. Our repair center has their way to check whether the device is water-damaged. Please let me know if you have any further concerns.
2020-6-23
Use props
K3v1n
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 6-23 05:48
We do not recommend to keep using the water-damaged device, especially the battery for the safety concern. Our repair center has their way to check whether the device is water-damaged. Please let me know if you have any further concerns.

Hi mindy,

yes my concern is I did not send the battery because it was submerged in water and you advised I should send photos of the battery to support.  The battery does not show any signs of damage so I questioned if this was reasonable or not and if the battery would be replaced since the drone will show water damage.
2020-6-23
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

K3v1n Posted at 6-21 00:49
Yeah... I’m working on putting something together.

Sounds good.
2020-6-24
Use props
eried
Second Officer
Norway

duplicated post
2020-8-9
Use props
eried
Second Officer
Norway

K3v1n Posted at 6-22 23:17
How did yours happen?  did you physically drop it or was it flying?

I didn't locked one propeller :/
2020-8-9
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

K3v1n Posted at 6-21 03:29
So why isn’t yours working now ?? . I sent it back to be on the safe side. I don’t want to be paranoid all the time about a runaway drone due to some corrosion or something I can’t monitor. The question is if they are going to send me a new battery without a fuss or not.

For anyone reading this topic. Sea water is full of a salt which makes the water extremely conductive. Severe damage can occur in mere minutes. Fresh water, like most lakes and rivers, is far less conductive and much slower to damage the equipment.
2020-8-9
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

This could've all been averted if the user knew how Not to fly their drone into the water.
2020-8-9
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 8-9 21:01
This could've all been averted if the user knew how Not to fly their drone into the water.

Sometimes it's not the operators fault. I nearly lost mine into the sea while parallel tracking. No hands on the sticks.
2020-8-9
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 8-9 21:49
Sometimes it's not the operators fault. I nearly lost mine into the sea while parallel tracking. No hands on the sticks.

I haven't used a following mode since Skydio 2.  Sold it because there was no real need to track me or to track anything.  I prefer filming the scenes myself.
2020-8-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules