7116 42 2020-6-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
spalexander
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26909 ft
United States

Hello all,

New owner here of a Mavic Air 2. I have noticed in some of the YouTube videos and other posts that some owners have a Dual Band, 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz setting under Transmission settings. As you can see from the attachment, under Definition, I have HD or Smooth. Under Channel Mode, I have Auto or Manual. If I change it to manual, I get a Bandwidth setting of 10 MHz or 20 MHz. Was this changed in a firmware update? Reason I ask, is some users in the Facebook forums have the same screen as me, and others do not. Here is some other info:

Bought at Best Buy in the United States.
Drone is up to date on firmware.
DJI Fly App is on the latest version.
Android Phone

Any ideas?

Scott
Screenshot_20200616-083732.png
2020-6-16
Use props
lee82gx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 435049 ft
Malaysia

it looks like you are not in US? sometimes in CE mode of transmission, the settings are like you show above.
2020-6-16
Use props
Mirek L
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

This is default screen when AC is disconnected.
If you connect AC and RC your screen will change and the transmission settings you will see will be different.
Mirek

2020-6-16
Use props
Mirek L
lvl.4
Canada

lee82gx Posted at 6-16 06:36
it looks like you are not in US? sometimes in CE mode of transmission, the settings are like you show above.

Nope - it is US - just default with disconnected AC.

Mirek
2020-6-16
Use props
spalexander
lvl.1
United States

lee82gx Posted at 6-16 06:36

I bought the MA2 in Oklahoma in the United States at a Best Buy.
2020-6-16
Use props
spalexander
lvl.1
United States

Mirek L Posted at 6-16 06:38
This is default screen when AC is disconnected.
If you connect AC and RC your screen will change and the transmission settings you will see will be different.
Mirek

The screenshot was after the AC and RC were connected. I cannot get to that screen if both are not connected. It seems I am not the only one with this issue, so I don't know.

A guy posted a video on FB where everything was connected and the frequency was there. If he power cycled the AC, the setting would disappear. Wondering if it is an Android app issue?
2020-6-16
Use props
lee82gx
lvl.4
Malaysia

spalexander Posted at 6-16 06:40
I bought the MA2 in Oklahoma in the United States at a Best Buy.

i mean are you physically in the US at the moment?

2020-6-16
Use props
spalexander
lvl.1
United States

lee82gx Posted at 6-16 06:43
i mean are you physically in the US at the moment?

Yes, in US.
2020-6-16
Use props
lee82gx
lvl.4
Malaysia

Do you mind to go outside and make your drone gets a solid GPS lock? I wager it will resolve this,
2020-6-16
Use props
spalexander
lvl.1
United States

lee82gx Posted at 6-16 07:03
Do you mind to go outside and make your drone gets a solid GPS lock? I wager it will resolve this,

Just tried it. Had 15 sats and still no frequency setting
2020-6-16
Use props
lee82gx
lvl.4
Malaysia

spalexander Posted at 6-16 07:12

If your 1km indicator is still not at about -87dbm after exposure to GPS lock in the US, but at -90dbm as in your first screen shot then something is wrong with your drone.....I got no more ideas....
2020-6-16
Use props
Mirek L
lvl.4
Canada

spalexander Posted at 6-16 07:12

This is not related to GPS.
Something is wrong.

When you are in US and AC is disconnected you should see the screen which you showed above.
You can go to DJI Fly App, choose Connect Aircraft (while your AC is not powered) and Choose Camera View, Click on 3 dots and Transmission.
Frequency will not be there.

When you connect AC and RC, the screen will change.
The row called Frequency will be added. This happens regardless of whether you have GPS lock or not.
With Auto setting the Frequency will give you three choices: Dual Band, 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz.
If you switch to manual, Dual Frequency option will disappear and you will see 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHZ only.

Mirek

2020-6-16
Use props
spalexander
lvl.1
United States

lee82gx Posted at 6-16 07:28
If your 1km indicator is still not at about -87dbm after exposure to GPS lock in the US, but at -90dbm as in your first screen shot then something is wrong with your drone.....I got no more ideas....

This was after going outside just a bit ago and aquiring satellites. The first picture I posted was older.
2020-6-16
Use props
Mirek L
lvl.4
Canada

spalexander Posted at 6-16 07:33
[view_image]

This was after going outside just a bit ago and aquiring satellites. The first picture I posted was older.

spalexander,
You are fishing in the wrong pond :-).

GPS has nothing to do with Transmission frequency band which is chosen automatically for you when you have Auto settings as in your picture.
This band will change choosing one with the least amount of noise and interference as per your graph.

The important thing here is why you are not given a choice of 2.4 versus 5.8GHz (or Dual) to choose from).
In US you should.

So something is not quite right with your setup

Mirek
2020-6-16
Use props
spalexander
lvl.1
United States

Mirek L Posted at 6-16 07:43
spalexander,
You are fishing in the wrong pond :-).

I'm not fishing in any pond LOL. I was merely posting the pic to reply to the user who was talking about GPS lock.

I have tried every iteration possible to get the frequency setting to show. It will not. Apparently I am not the only one if you believe the FB posts. We are all in the USA using Android phones. Mine was purchased in the USA at a Best Buy. So heck I don't know.

I have reached out to DJI, so hopefully will get a response back from them.
2020-6-16
Use props
Mirek L
lvl.4
Canada

spalexander Posted at 6-16 07:47
I'm not fishing in any pond LOL. I was merely posting the pic to reply to the user who was talking about GPS lock.

I have tried every iteration possible to get the frequency setting to show. It will not. Apparently I am not the only one if you believe the FB posts. We are all in the USA using Android phones. Mine was purchased in the USA at a Best Buy. So heck I don't know.

Yes - "fishing" here was a figure of speech :-)
DJI support is a right action at this point.
You definitely should have access to both 2.4 and 5.8GHz and it seems you have only to 2.4GHz.

Mirek
2020-6-16
Use props
小仙女的星巴克
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4657841 ft
  • >>>
United States

my case is the Fly APP. I was using 1.14 initially and didn't see the option, Then rolled back to 1.12 and found the frequency option.
2020-6-16
Use props
spalexander
lvl.1
United States

小仙女的星巴克 Posted at 6-16 07:57
my case is the Fly APP. I was using 1.14 initially and didn't see the option, Then rolled back to 1.12 and found the frequency option.

I've leaned towards the App being the culprit. I just noticed I am on Android version 1.1.5.

How did you roll back to 1.1.2? I think I will try that.
2020-6-16
Use props
spalexander
lvl.1
United States

小仙女的星巴克 Posted at 6-16 07:57

Well you were right. I went to apkmirror and found version 1.1.2 and installed it. Voila, the setting was there.

For some reason, at least in my case, version 1.1.4 (I was on 1.1.5) on the Android version of DJI Fly App removed this setting.
2020-6-16
Use props
spalexander
lvl.1
United States

spalexander Posted at 6-16 08:15
Well you were right. I went to apkmirror and found version 1.1.2 and installed it. Voila, the setting was there.

For some reason, at least in my case, version 1.1.4 (I was on 1.1.5) on the Android version of DJI Fly App removed this setting.

After installing version 1.1.2, the setting was there. I let it update to 1.1.5 and the setting is still there. When I got my drone at installed the DJI Fly App, it was version 1.1.4. I never knew the setting was missing until I saw some videos and I got to inquiring about it. Thanks for the advice.

I have reached out to support prior to finding this and I will definitely let them know about the anomaly.
2020-6-16
Use props
Mirek L
lvl.4
Canada

spalexander Posted at 6-16 08:04
I've leaned towards the App being the culprit. I just noticed I am on Android version 1.1.5.

How did you roll back to 1.1.2? I think I will try that.

It is not DJI Fly 1.1.5.
This option does exit in DJI Fly 1.1.5.
I loaded 1.1.5 this morning and I can see Dual Frequency settings

Mirek
2020-6-16
Use props
Mirek L
lvl.4
Canada

spalexander Posted at 6-16 08:46
After installing version 1.1.2, the setting was there. I let it update to 1.1.5 and the setting is still there. When I got my drone at installed the DJI Fly App, it was version 1.1.4. I never knew the setting was missing until I saw some videos and I got to inquiring about it. Thanks for the advice.

I have reached out to support prior to finding this and I will definitely let them know about the anomaly.

Yeah - 1.1.4 was buggy. Survived about 1 week and DJI updated it :-)
2020-6-16
Use props
spalexander
lvl.1
United States

Mirek L Posted at 6-16 10:28
It is not DJI Fly 1.1.5.
This option does exit in DJI Fly 1.1.5.
I loaded 1.1.5 this morning and I can see Dual Frequency settings

Mirek,

You did not read my previous post. When I got my MA2 and installed DJI Fly App version 1.1.4, the Frequency Setting was NOT there on my phone. I updated to DJI Fly App version 1.1.5 and the Frequency Setting was NOT there. Using Android phone.

I confirmed with a few users on FB that was having exact same issue. All of us had one thing in common. We all started on DJI Fly App Android version 1.1.4.

As a previous poster earlier said he had the problem too and rolled back to version 1.1.2 and the setting appeared. I did the same. I rolled back and installed version 1.1.2 and low and behold, the Frequency setting WAS there. I let the app update to the new version of 1.1.5 and the setting WAS still there.

It would appear that users that had DJI App installed prior to the 1.1.4 version does NOT exhibit this problem or so it would appear.  It would also appear that iPHone versions of DJI Fly did not have this issue. I have made DJI engineers aware of the problem and they are investigating.
2020-6-16
Use props
spalexander
lvl.1
United States

Mirek L Posted at 6-16 10:30
Yeah - 1.1.4 was buggy. Survived about 1 week and DJI updated it :-)

LOL. That's the version I started on and appears started my problem. Rolled back to 1.1.2 and then let it update to 1.1.5 and the frequency settings are now there! For whatever reason, buying a MA2 at DJI Fly App version 1.1.4 was less than stellar
2020-6-16
Use props
lee82gx
lvl.4
Malaysia

spalexander Posted at 6-16 10:38
LOL. That's the version I started on and appears started my problem. Rolled back to 1.1.2 and then let it update to 1.1.5 and the frequency settings are now there! For whatever reason, buying a MA2 at DJI Fly App version 1.1.4 was less than stellar

As a follow up to my previous post about the 1km line, a few of us in Mavicpilots forum have been investigating the transmission power Vs location.

(google it fcc vs ce Mavic Air 2)

Here is a link and actually, if you see your 1km indicator level at the -90dbm level, it actually means you are transmitting at CE power levels which are lower than the maximum possible. Since you are in the US, your trasnmission should be automatically set to FCC levels at 26dbm when the 1km indicator is at -87dbm ( I believe you should be seeing this after installing 1.1.2). If you still see your 1km level at -90dbm then you are transmitting at CE compliant levels which is only 20dbm or 4 times less power. Hence you see less distance, not to mention unable to move to 5.8G which is prone to neighbourly RF interference.
2020-6-16
Use props
Mirek L
lvl.4
Canada

lee82gx Posted at 6-16 15:44
As a follow up to my previous post about the 1km line, a few of us in Mavicpilots forum have been investigating the transmission power Vs location.

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... .87899/post-1002410

lee82gx,

This is interesting. Are you saying that the transmission graph mixes two types of information - noise level and signal strength?

The uneven and changing line is definitely a noice level and signal interference. Higher it is, the more intereference at given frequency. The line colour changes from green at the bottom to reddish when it goes high. If one is choosing channels manually, he should choose the ones were lines is green and low.

I was always wondering what the meaning of ~1km and ~4km indicators (on the right hand side of the graph) was.

I concluded that it must be an indication of approximate flying range possible with the given level of interference. On my screen ~1km marker is slightly above -90dBm line. If interference graph line crosses above that, I was interpreting that I should not expect a flight of more that 1 km range. Same with ~4km marker.

This was logical since this graph shows noise, not strength of the signal.

You are suggesting that the graph also shows strength of the signal at 1km and 4 km mark. This would be weird since the graph would be mixing two, very different, types of information. Which would be confusing for users and is normally not done.

Where did you find the information that your interpretation is correct? Where is this graph documented so we can check the meaning of everything it shows?

Mirek

2020-6-17
Use props
lee82gx
lvl.4
United States

Mirek L Posted at 6-17 04:41
lee82gx,

This is interesting. Are you saying that the transmission graph mixes two types of information - noise level and signal strength?

I am not suggesting. I gave links to tests which I and a few forum members conducted, either through RF meters, distance tests as well as by checking the signal strength via severe attenuation in Microwave oven (non operationally, of course). It was well documented since Mavic Pro days how to check your FCC level transmission or CE level transmissions. Just google it.

I have been advised to take down those links because some believe this leads to DJI patching these up, so I will do so soon.
2020-6-17
Use props
lee82gx
lvl.4
United States

Mirek L Posted at 6-17 04:41
lee82gx,

ONe more thing. For Android the horizontal lines are FIXED at -90dbm / 1km if you are in CE regions, while in FCC region the ~1km text moves up to -87dbm. This is a display bug in Android.

If you are using IOS, the horizontal lines will follow the ~1km text level, for example -90dbm in CE region and -87dbm in FCC region.

So in other words, for android ignore the horizontal line and look at the ~1km text.

The green plot is indeed the noise floor and it is a guidance for you to see how noisy the whole 2.4g or 5.8g spectrum is in your area. If it is higher than the 1km line and you are still selecting the same sub-band, then it means you are not going to get more than 1km transmission (so to speak). If the noise floor is lower than 4km line, then you have optimal noise in your area.
2020-6-17
Use props
Mirek L
lvl.4
Canada

lee82gx Posted at 6-17 06:43
I am not suggesting. I gave links to tests which I and a few forum members conducted, either through RF meters, distance tests as well as by checking the signal strength via severe attenuation in Microwave oven (non operationally, of course). It was well documented since Mavic Pro days how to check your FCC level transmission or CE level transmissions. Just google it.

I have been advised to take down those links because some believe this leads to DJI patching these up, so I will do so soon.

lee82gx,
All right - I think we are both  agreeing - the words were just confusing.
  • The graph shows interference level at different frequencies
  • The graph shows approximate flight range (1km and 4 km mark) at a given interference level

What you were trying to say is, that in FCC region, the 1km marker should be placed around -87dBm and in CE at around -90dBm noise level. Which means that interference in CE region must be lower in order to reach the same flight range as in FCC (which, of course, translates into stronger signal implemented in MA2 in FCC region).

This is what I see on my screen (I am in FCC region) - 1km mark is slightly higher than -90dBm line.

Thanks.

Mirek

2020-6-17
Use props
lee82gx
lvl.4
United States

Mirek L Posted at 6-17 07:14
lee82gx,
All right - I think we are both  agreeing - the words were just confusing.

bingo. you got it. in OP's case I'm sure you can now see why I suspect he is not getting a good location reading hence being  in CE levels of transmission even though he is in US, and by his own account something in the app bugs have made it sticky for him. A wonder that he checked in the first place.
2020-6-17
Use props
Mirek L
lvl.4
Canada

lee82gx Posted at 6-17 07:56
bingo. you got it. in OP's case I'm sure you can now see why I suspect he is not getting a good location reading hence being  in CE levels of transmission even though he is in US, and by his own account something in the app bugs have made it sticky for him. A wonder that he checked in the first place.

Yes - You are right. I see what you meant.
But this was "wrong" picture from buggy 1.1.4.
After he upgraded to 1.1.5 and was able to see Dual band option, I wonder if his 1 km marker did not go a nudge higher. It should.
My certainly is slightly higher than -90 dBm line.

Thanks.

Mirek
2020-6-17
Use props
spalexander
lvl.1
United States

@Mirek and @lee82gx,

I have never had an issue with a location reading (that I know of). My concern was as I was going through settings on my new MA2, the Dual Band, 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz setting was not visiible as seen in videos. That started an inquisitive look into why. In a Facebook group there were more "new" users that were experiencing the same issue. Through trial and error, it appears that the "bug" was introduced in Android Version 1.1.4 of the DJI Fly App. If you had a previous version and upgraded to 1.1.4 or 1.1.5, you did not experience this issue. However, if your very first version of DJI Fly App was 1.1.4 when installed your drone, this bug showed its ugly head. Downgrading to 1.1.2 and connecting to the A/C fixed the issue.

Now, having said that, your conversations has me confused LOL. In a nutshell, in the United States, should my graph be above or below the -90 line? 1km shows -90dBm and 4km shows -100dBm.

So I can understand correctly and for my sanity sake, which of these two pictures is better?

Thanks.
2020-6-17
Use props
spalexander
lvl.1
United States

Don't know what happened to the #2 picture above
2020-6-17
Use props
Mirek L
lvl.4
Canada

spalexander Posted at 6-17 09:36
[view_image]

Don't know what happened to the #2 picture above

Frequency row should be showing.
Are you on DJI Fly 1.1.5?
Picture 2 from post #36 looks ok. Picture 2 from post #37 does not look ok.

Mirek
2020-6-17
Use props
spalexander
lvl.1
United States

Mirek L Posted at 6-17 09:57
Frequency row should be showing.
Are you on DJI Fly 1.1.5?
Picture 2 from post #36 looks ok. Picture 2 from post #37 does not look ok.

Yeah I didn't scroll far enough down when I took screenshot for #2. I am on DJI 1.1.5

Is above -90 line good or below the -90 line good?
2020-6-17
Use props
Mirek L
lvl.4
Canada

spalexander Posted at 6-17 10:04
Yeah I didn't scroll far enough down when I took screenshot for #2. I am on DJI 1.1.5

Is above -90 line good or below the -90 line good?

Green line as low as possible is good.
Line represents interference. The higher the line, the bigger interference. When line goes up it changes color from green to yellow to orange and to red.

Your line in a chosen channel shows low interference - it is good. It suggests that your range should be around 4 km.

However, my question is, why your screen does not show Frequency (Dual Band, 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz). This was shown on picture 2 in post #36.
Also, alignement of -90dBm line with 1km mark suggests that you are using CE, not FCC signal power.

Your picture 2 in post 36 (the one which was cut) suggested FCC standard (note that 1km mark is above -90dBm line - not at the line).

This is why I said Picture 2 in post 36 looked good (although it is cut and I cannot see intereference level line).

Mirek
2020-6-17
Use props
lee82gx
lvl.4
United States

Mirek L Posted at 6-17 10:12
Green line as low as possible is good.
Line represents interference. The higher the line, the bigger interference. When line goes up it changes color from green to yellow to orange and to red.

Yes,
Picture #2 in post #36 is the good one.

Its should be hard for you to get into the mode shown in picture #1.
2020-6-21
Use props
Huy Hoàng
New
Flight distance : 1351775 ft
Japan

It is hard to understand
2020-6-24
Use props
conga
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1043579 ft
United States

Thank you all for being the guinea pigs and downgrading to 1.1.2. This fixed my issue too. I had my Mavic Air 2 replaced and when the new unit came in, I noticed my range was garbage. Then I noticed watching some YouTube videos that I was missing that "Frequency" option.

TLDR;
This fixed my problem:
1. I downloaded DJI Fly 1.1.2 from APKMirror (the variant with the latest date).
2. Connected to the aircraft and signed in.
3. Did a test flight with it and confirmed the "Frequency" option was available. My range greatly improved.
4. Landed the aircraft, turned it and the remote off.
5. Uninstalled DJI Fly 1.1.2 and then opened the Google Play store to download and install 1.1.5

Now I have the latest version of the app and the "Frequency" option is back.

Thank you guys again!
2020-6-25
Use props
conga
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1043579 ft
United States

Edit - Double-Post
2020-6-25
Use props
12Next >
Advanced