Mavic Air 2 - 48mp - Image Distortion or Noise
3199 11 2020-6-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GenOne360
lvl.1

United States

Looking to see if anyone else has noticed a weird squigly pattern of what I can best describe as noise in their 48MP stills on the Air 2. The issue is rendering all of my 48MP shots pretty much worthless. It appears in both DNG and JPEG. Trying to see if it is the norm, if I have a setting wrong, or if their is something faulty with my drone. All firmware updates have been made, problem persists. A de-noise function on photo editing software does nothing to correct this issue, it is as if the pixels are swirled on a very small level, which leads to the distortion. It is not very visible until zoomed in to full resolution. Below are two links, one is the DNG the other the JPEG of the same image. If you zoom into the image particularly around the individual in the red shirt you will notice the softness and weird blurring the squigly distortion is causing. Would love to get this resolved it is limiting my productivity.

DNG: https://www.dropbox.com/s/il5owont4rtdi3l/DJI_0081.DNG?dl=0
JPEG: ?dl=0

I appreciate the help.
2020-6-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi GenOne360, thanks for your feedback, we have transferred to our engineers to analyze, once there is any suggestion, I will keep you posted.
2020-6-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Hi GenOne360, we would like to verify whether every 48MP picture has the same issue? If yes, it is recommended to send back for the evaluation.
If only a few pictures have this issue, could you please upload all these kind of pictures to Dropbox and share the link to us?
2020-6-17
Use props
GenOne360
lvl.1

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 6-17 19:23
Hi GenOne360, we would like to verify whether every 48MP picture has the same issue? If yes, it is recommended to send back for the evaluation.
If only a few pictures have this issue, could you please upload all these kind of pictures to Dropbox and share the link to us?

Thank you for the prompt response. This issue is present on every 48MP photo. I have even taken a closer look at some of the individual shots of a pano series and the distortion is there as well.
2020-6-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

GenOne360 Posted at 6-18 02:01
Thank you for the prompt response. This issue is present on every 48MP photo. I have even taken a closer look at some of the individual shots of a pano series and the distortion is there as well.

In this case, please start a ticket online https://repair.dji.com/repair/index?site=brandsite&from=nav and send back the drone for further diagnosis, once you created the case, please keep us updated with the case number, we will follow up.
2020-6-18
Use props
lennert.daniels
lvl.1
Flight distance : 614610 ft
Belgium

Hi @GenOne360,

I'm wondering if you managed to get the issue resolved by sending the drone back for repair.

I'm experiencing the same squiggly noise-lines with my 48MP pictures, despite shooting at ISO 100.

2020-9-18
Use props
GenOne360
lvl.1

United States

lennert.daniels Posted at 9-18 02:06
Hi @GenOne360,

I'm wondering if you managed to get the issue resolved by sending the drone back for repair.

We actually never sent it back in for repairs. Mostly due to logistical hurdles we were working with at the time. We still have not determined what else may be causing it. If you are able and willing you might want to try the 'send it in' option. Best of luck, and if you find a solution we would love to know.
2020-12-22
Use props
djiuser_i0e7jYCg7XOW
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I'm having the same problem as well on my 48mp shots
Photo_6553638_DJI_38_jpg_17025342_0_202113174322_photo_original_resized.jpg
2021-2-1
Use props
The Duck
lvl.4
United States

I was pixel peeping my 48MP "raws" the other day and noticed the squiggles.  I put raw in quotes because the MA2 does not really output a true raw.  The Sony IMX-586 sensor converts the quad-bayer pattern to a standard bayer and sharpens the image.  I believe this sharpening step makes noise and certain patterns look like squiggles or worms.  I have no idea if it's even possible for the sensor to output a true raw image when in 48MP mode.  So I don't think this is DJI's fault; it's just the way the sensor works.

However, I was able to get rid of some of the squiggles using RawTherapee.  I disabled the "Capture Sharpening," which is annoying as it sharpens noise.  Then I turned on noise reduction (only for color noise.)  Changing the demosaicing algorithm to DCG or DCG-VNG4 instead of the default AMAZE algorithm made the most difference.  You can play around to find one that works best for you.

Anyway, I wouldn't use the 48MP mode as it really just adds noise, unwanted sharpening, and little to no extra detail.
2021-2-1
Use props
Djang
New

Belgium

My 48MP photos also have these "worms". It is ok when I want a larger panorama but when zooming it gets quite noticeable.

So from The Duck's response I get there is no "real" solution to this?
2021-3-24
Use props
JimDandy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144649 ft
United States

Mine look great. I'm amazed actually, by how nice they are from such a camera. No complaints here.
2021-3-24
Use props
EmpieDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 741102 ft
Belgium

Hi
I've checked your image in Photoshop > RAW> DNG. And it seems to be 'normal' according the specs of the camera of the MA2. But I'm pretty sure it can be better somehow. In this particular picture I think the shutter speed is a bit too low. The sharpness is not 100%. Maybe wind? And or some vibrations can produce some unsharpness.  And this unsharp feeling is 'amplified' because of the 48MP sensor. The more pixels you have the more stable the camera should be.  And yess don't forget that the camera of the MA2 has 'only' a very tiny little sensor (smartphone size) BUT it can produce super good quality if the basic settings are OK.   Standard you have on 48MP 20X26 inch at 300dpi which is in fact very large  according the sensor size. And yes it's not really possible to blow up this size to 200% or more because of the typical 'worm holes' you get. This is 100% 'normal' when you over enlarge the image with this sensor.
2021-3-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules