Do you/Can you watch online drone videos above 1080p?
851 15 2020-6-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

So as I recently entered into 4k drone video creation, I wondered how many other pilots actually watch all these other drone videos above 1080p.  Some people use their smart TV's and perhaps have the best shot at seeing 4k, some laptops and Mac/PC systes are there, or older retina at 2.7k, but my bet is most people are still stuck at 1080.. Or so many are on mobile devices only where is makes little difference as the screen is so small.

Feel free to comment!

Single SelectVote, Total 22 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2020-6-17
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good question. I do see that on YouTube it shows 4k as an option on many, but it seems to be jerky on my pc setup when that is selected. And anyway, my old eyes are not good enough to see the difference ;-)
2020-6-17
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Although I don't see a big difference, I do watch in 4k either on my
4K tv or on my Macbook.
2020-6-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I run two PCs, one is an older system used for mostly email and web browsing, the other is a powerful desktop set up to run Da Vinci Resolve. Both machines use the same Asus 32" ProArt screen, so I can see 4K on my desktop.
2020-6-17
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Canada

Thanks for the feedback, hoping more will chime in.
2020-6-18
Use props
Nolan Silvius
lvl.4
Flight distance : 238163 ft
United States

I don't have a 4k screen but I will still watch videos in 4k if I can. I can tell a slight difference in quality between 1080 and 4k because of youtube's compression.
2020-6-19
Use props
Renato61
Second Officer
Flight distance : 168163 ft
Italy

The question is badly asked, at the moment I have no tools to view 4k but soon I will have them. What choice should I make?
2020-6-19
Use props
Mirek L
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

While most people may still use 1080 monitors, 4K videos still show slightly better on lower resolution screen that videos recorded using 1080p.
It may seem counterintuitive, but there are plenty of studies one can find which confirm that it is better to record in 4k even when you would downsample to 1080 in post-processing. Amount of information is simply higher and codecs can use it.

For videos aficionados I suggest the following article: https://nofilmschool.com/2018/02/beauty-8k-large-format - it explains in more detail some of what I said above.

Also, if you want excrutiating deatils why Holywood producers use highest possible resolution for recording and how it affects viewing experience in lower resolutions, see this interesting conference:

Mirek
2020-6-19
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I watch in 4K on my TV
2020-6-19
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

... 1080p is often enough, but if you can look at 4k --- a big difference!
2020-6-19
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I watch in > 1080 whenever I can as it makes a huge difference. My 8 year old MacBook Pro can really only handle 1440 but my 8 year old iMac can do better.  When I share my YouTube content I always recommend folks view at the highest rate they can because 1080p just doesn't cut it.
2020-6-19
Use props
Andy Uk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3985676 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have twin 28" 4K monitors on my PC Setup so can run two different 4k Youtube videos simulataneously, looks stunning....

In all seriousness though 4k gives you a tonne of flexibility when just composing a 1080 video project just as many pro film shooters capture 8k.  Reframing in post, downsampling etc gives you a lot more regardless of whether you actualy view it 4K or not.
2020-6-19
Use props
djiuser_iIva2eqYKz1o
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284843 ft
United States

I watch in 1080p, 95% on my phone. I have a client that requires I shoot at 1080. The files are edited into the final project within two hours and projected to the audience.
2020-6-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Northwood. Thank you for reaching out and for creating this poll. I hope that our DJI co pilots can give out there insights with regards to this matter. Thank you for your support and please stay safe always.
2020-6-22
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-22 19:19
Hello there Northwood. Thank you for reaching out and for creating this poll. I hope that our DJI co pilots can give out there insights with regards to this matter. Thank you for your support and please stay safe always.

You're welcome.  I hope it does help some decide what to output...  I was curious about how many dedicated 4k watchers there really are.
2020-6-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Northwood Posted at 6-22 19:24
You're welcome.  I hope it does help some decide what to output...  I was curious about how many dedicated 4k watchers there really are.

Hi there Northwood. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. If you have any other inquiries or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help and support you.
2020-6-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules