Does dji have a serial number lock for lost or stolen drones?
23486 57 2020-6-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Masscot
New

Romania

Labroides Posted at 2020-6-25 23:48
Yes, both Windows and Android offer remote lockout (and date wipe out) in my devices potentially containing sensitive data.
I know it's complicated but think of it this way .. phones and tablets connect to the internet from time to time, your drone doesn't.
Do the manufacturers of any of your non-internet possessions want to track your lost or stolen possessions for you?

> "phones and tablets connect to the internet from time to time, your drone doesn't"

It doesn't have to.
2021-10-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Masscot Posted at 10-22 11:38
> "phones and tablets connect to the internet from time to time, your drone doesn't"

It doesn't have to.

Whatever incredible wisdom was in the link you attached, it's been deleted, so I have no idea what you wanted to suggest.
I still stand by what I wrote previously though.
2021-10-22
Use props
Masscot
New

Romania

Labroides Posted at 10-22 15:57
Whatever incredible wisdom was in the link you attached, it's been deleted, so I have no idea what you wanted to suggest.
I still stand by what I wrote previously though.

The forum has shadow-banned a new post of mine, in which I was pointing to a mechanism proposed by Dirty Bird that would allow locking drones reported as stolen, when the DJI Fly app connects to the internet (which it does to fetch firmware and FlySafe updates). The drone doesn't need to connect to the Internet. It only needs to send its serial number to the DJI Fly App, which does connect to the Internet.

So please direct your snark towards that post. I'll post the link separately below because apparently this idiotic forum software bans posts even with links to itself.
2021-10-25
Use props
Masscot
New

Romania

Masscot Posted at 10-25 11:45
The forum has shadow-banned a new post of mine, in which I was pointing to a mechanism proposed by Dirty Bird that would allow locking drones reported as stolen, when the DJI Fly app connects to the internet (which it does to fetch firmware and FlySafe updates). The drone doesn't need to connect to the Internet. It only needs to send its serial number to the DJI Fly App, which does connect to the Internet.

So please direct your snark towards that post. I'll post the link separately below because apparently this idiotic forum software bans posts even with links to itself.

Here's the post by @Dirty Bird:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 512&pid=2213043
2021-10-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Masscot Posted at 10-25 11:45
The forum has shadow-banned a new post of mine, in which I was pointing to a mechanism proposed by Dirty Bird that would allow locking drones reported as stolen, when the DJI Fly app connects to the internet (which it does to fetch firmware and FlySafe updates). The drone doesn't need to connect to the Internet. It only needs to send its serial number to the DJI Fly App, which does connect to the Internet.

So DB proposed that, but it doesn't exist and DJI has shown no interest in implementing such a system.
It would only work if the drone was flown where an internet connection was possible and the user had a device that was able to connect.
Currently, your app has no need to connect and you can fly for years without ever having your phone or tablet connect.
That's a good thing, because it allows you to fly anywhere.
If the app enforced a need for connecting to internet data, you would only be able to fly where you have internet access.
2021-10-25
Use props
djiuser_Ztw83MgmGpr9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1009298 ft
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2020-6-19 01:33
Hello there ZmaroSobrinho. I am sorry to read and to know that you have lost your DJI Drone. Since this issue happened and if the said DJI drone is stolen it would be best to report this issue to your local authorities of the theft that had happened, and allow the police to run on their investigation of this incident. In addition, regretfully, we are unable to block your stolen aircraft. Tracking it would require the aircraft to be flying when it was lost through the flight record on your DJI Go 4 App. Hoping we could do more for you, we apologize. Again I am sorry for the trouble and please stay safe always.

What if the replacement drone I was waiting for was delivered to an address 3000 miles away on the other side of the country and DJI tried me it was activated? Is there a way for me or you to track it or disable it? Because I've been fighting with UPS and DJI since the tenth of March trying to get drone. But DJI says the drone was delivered to the correct address AND it has been activated. It hasn't been delivered to the correct address. But again, I don't have it. What can I do? UPS true me to contact DJI and then DJI tried me I'm ... outta luck.
2022-3-30
Use props
herrerias
lvl.1
Mexico

Hi!
Someone wants to sell me a Phantom 3 Pro but I'd like to verify if it's stolen. Can you run this serial number please?
S/N:P78DDD11070327
2022-5-13
Use props
PappyD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 343816 ft
United States

Here's a site that I stumbled upon.
https://stolendrone.info/home
I don't know if they just search just their data base or what, but it's a start.
2022-5-16
Use props
yvespsv
New

France

Bonjour

Pour répondre à votre question, je vais vous raconter mon histoire.
Français débutant en drones, j’ai choisi (malheureusement) d’acheter un drone dans mon budget (max 400€). J’ai donc choisi d’acheter un Hubsan ACE SE Refined dans un magasin chinois. Cela se passe mal, le drone quand il arrive a une batterie morte et lors de la mise à jour du firmware, le drone se bloque. J’utilise PayPal. PayPal me rembourse et me dit de garder le drone.
Après plusieurs jours, j’ai réussi à réinitialiser le drone et cela fonctionne. Mais le vendeur chinois mécontent de la décision de PayPal a fait une déclaration de perte du drone et a réussi (je ne sais pas comment) à bloquer mon drone Hubsan. Je n’arrive pas à démarrer les moteurs.
Lorsque j’essaie de démarrer les moteurs et de le faire voler, un message apparaît sur l’écran de l’application disant: « Le drone a été certifié perdu et il est interdit de voler ».

Donc pour vous répondre, oui il est possible de bloquer un drone à distance
2023-2-20
Use props
Webflight
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1606617 ft
Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 2020-6-19 01:33
Hello there ZmaroSobrinho. I am sorry to read and to know that you have lost your DJI Drone. Since this issue happened and if the said DJI drone is stolen it would be best to report this issue to your local authorities of the theft that had happened, and allow the police to run on their investigation of this incident. In addition, regretfully, we are unable to block your stolen aircraft. Tracking it would require the aircraft to be flying when it was lost through the flight record on your DJI Go 4 App. Hoping we could do more for you, we apologize. Again I am sorry for the trouble and please stay safe always.

On this topic - If you list your Drone as a "fly away" and collect on the DJI care and they replace it, what is to stop you from flying it on your controller and account? In other words, report it lost and get a new one for very little $$$.

Dont they block it after being reported as a fly away?
2023-9-10
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Webflight Posted at 9-10 12:27
On this topic - If you list your Drone as a "fly away" and collect on the DJI care and they replace it, what is to stop you from flying it on your controller and account? In other words, report it lost and get a new one for very little $$$.

Dont they block it after being reported as a fly away?

Post #50, the one right before yours, doesn't that address your question?
2023-9-10
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 2-21 03:23
Actually they can.  If you experience a loss or flyaway & claim a replacement under warranty or DJI Care, the lost drone gets locked & becomes unusable.  A few months back a member experienced this situation when he found his lost drone after the replacement had arrived.  The lost drone had been locked & rendered useless.

I have often advocated a security proposal for DJI drones based on the "Lojack for Laptops" model.  You register the drone to your account.  If lost or stolen you can flag it for locking.  Whenever the drone connects to the internet it reports its location & checks for a stolen/lost flag & disables itself accordingly.

it would also be a good selling point for DJI too if they implemented something like this, it would give their customers more security as a good few are stolen.

Can DJI lock the drone if there is a crime number?

We know DJI can lock them if there are bought using fraudulent means at POS or if they are stolen pre-POS so surely DJI can lock them if there is an official crime number, i reckon that DJI doesn't or wont due to the admin side of it as they would need to phone or I suppose email the corresponding police force to make sure its is legit. That does not sound like something DJI would do, to be honest. I could be wrong and i hope i am as i would like an easy process to have my drone(S) locked and made unsellable.
2023-9-10
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 9-10 20:32
it would also be a good selling point for DJI too if they implemented something like this, it would give their customers more security as a good few are stolen.

Can DJI lock the drone if there is a crime number?

Personally I think it would be a great idea if DJI were to expand, TO ALL THEIR DRONES but without the need to buy care-refresh etc., the facility to bind the drone and controller to 'whatever'.
"Whatever" being a DJI account or the drone etc..

Might it be a better idea to bind 'dumb' controllers to a DJI account rather than a specific drone? I can see sense in restricting a smart controller to the drone, or perhaps drones?, to which it was bound
By this I mean the bindings such that bound equipment is render useless if not used with the DJI account or equipment to which that equipment was that bound in the first place.

To my mind it would be a simple matter, it appears to just need some metaphorical switches thrown and it could perhaps encompass Go and Go4 drones. Such binding could still remain mandatory if one wanted the drone to be covered by Flyaway insurance, I just see NO NEED to restrict the binding facility to use for insurance purposes.
In fact I tried "binding" my 'care-refreshless' mini 2 etc. but I could not binding the controller to the drone, there was no option available, and the binding I was able to establish, drone to my DJI account, prevented nothing. I was greatly dissapointed by that.
2023-9-10
Use props
djiuser_6lg40ptkYve3
New

United States

Guys my drone was mavic mini 2 was recently stolen without the batteries is there a way to track it with no Battery in it and also will DJI replace a stolen drone. I'm bet get sad is the most expensive RC I have I bought I saved up for I worked Mt ass off to save so I cld get a dji mavic
3-11 03:50
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_6lg40ptkYve3 Posted at 3-11 03:50
Guys my drone was mavic mini 2 was recently stolen without the batteries is there a way to track it with no Battery in it and also will DJI replace a stolen drone. I'm bet get sad is the most expensive RC I have I bought I saved up for I worked Mt ass off to save so I cld get a dji mavic

is there a way to track it with no Battery in it and also will DJI replace a stolen drone.
No & No
3-11 05:54
Use props
ethan_weitz0
lvl.1
Flight distance : 228829 ft
United States

Its a feature of care refresh
3-11 07:38
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, there. We are sorry to hear about this unfortunate experience. Sorry to inform you, we are unable to track your aircraft. Tracking the aircraft will require the synced flight data via the DJI APP by the pilot and also the DJI account that the pilot flies your drone with. We recommend that you report this theft incident to the local authorities, authorizing the police to run investigations into this case. 
Also, we do not provide replacements for stolen aircraft. We would like to contact our support through this link: https://www.dji.com/support and provide them with the serial number of the aircraft to record the stolen aircraft in the system. Our Support team will contact you if we receive the products in the future. Please rest assured that DJI will refuse to offer a service if other customers send it back. We hope for your understanding and patience.
3-11 09:47
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What did the thieves steal?
If they stole the drone and a smart controller, or, the drone and the phone that was used with teh drone, then there is a slim chance but the phone / smart-controller would need to be logged into your DJI account and the FLY App would need to be set to automatically sync logs when a wifi connection was available.
If that were the case then you could instal the FLY App on a phone, log into your DJI account via that App and sync the FLY app, that would down load, to your phone, the logs for flights made by the thief.
If the smart-controller /phone was logged out of the DJI account then the above idea is toast.
3-11 10:40
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules