Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is firmware .500 killing batteries?
736 9 2020-6-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Paul Atkin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36962 ft
United States

Hi,

i had mavic mini for a while sine it was announced - a fly more kit. Always stored batteries in the charger unit - one that takes 3 batteries. i usually store them with 2 leds worth of charge left - it was like that for forever. i would charge them before use full, then discharge and store. so, a while ago i upgraded to .500. flew them all, then discharged to same level of blinking between 2 and 3 leds, and left them in the box.
it spent there a month or so - i just tried to charge them for tomorrow - so, ALL 3 batteries i have now refuse to charge. in the charger it goes to rapid charge cycle initially, as it would before, then i hear somewhat like a hissing noise - and them charger changes to extremely slow blinking between leds - like it is an extra slow charging cycle.

if battery inserted into mavic mini - it starts normal charge cycle, then alters into same extra slow cycle of blinking. ALL THREE batteries do that.

it is extremely frustrating. dunno what to think, other than .500 code killed all 3 batteries i have no other ideas as it was just fine with previous firmwares. what the hell....
2020-6-18
Use props
Paul Atkin
lvl.2
United States

is there any link to a pinout of those batteries - is it possible to see voltage level from each of 2 cells? did it completely discharged one of cells on .500?
It would be extremely nice if soimebody from DJI could respond to that, as now as i see i am faced with all 3 new batteries in a damaged state with nothing from me done wrong. i would uinderstand if 1 died - but not all 3 like that.
2020-6-18
Use props
Zen Fly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 981 ft
Romania

Paul Atkin Posted at 6-18 06:52
is there any link to a pinout of those batteries - is it possible to see voltage level from each of 2 cells? did it completely discharged one of cells on .500?
It would be extremely nice if soimebody from DJI could respond to that, as now as i see i am faced with all 3 new batteries in a damaged state with nothing from me done wrong. i would uinderstand if 1 died - but not all 3 like that.

Upload your log to airdata.com and you'll see all data about your battery.
2020-6-18
Use props
Paul Atkin
lvl.2
United States

Zen Fly Posted at 6-18 07:04
Upload your log to airdata.com and you'll see all data about your battery.

batteries are discharged - and charger does not produce a log... DJI fly shows battery level at 3.68 and 3.67v. i hope it does not lie, so, based on that, if that is true - it is a complete bazaar. 3.67v is a perfectly healthy level per a lipo cell. whatever it is, the behavior is same - normal or fast charge cycle lasts about 8-10 or so seconds, then it switches to extra slow blinking loop. i need to measure actual voltage from pins - as i think what is reports is BS.
2020-6-18
Use props
Zen Fly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 981 ft
Romania

Paul Atkin Posted at 6-18 07:10
batteries are discharged - and charger does not produce a log... DJI fly shows battery level at 3.68 and 3.67v. i hope it does not lie, so, based on that, if that is true - it is a complete bazaar. 3.67v is a perfectly healthy level per a lipo cell. whatever it is, the behavior is same - normal or fast charge cycle lasts about 8-10 or so seconds, then it switches to extra slow blinking loop. i need to measure actual voltage from pins - as i think what is reports is BS.

Watching the fly log on air data it will show you last fly data on your battery on both cells. That's what I've understood you want to know.
2020-6-18
Use props
Francoisd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 66352 ft
France

Hi,

Have you been storing your batteries this way for such a long time (a month or so as you're saying) with previous firmware ?
Why I ask that is, don't you think it is possible that the only fact of keeping the batteries plugged in the charger would have discharged them directly in the charger ?

I have, for example on a mobile phone, experienced that if i leave the phone connected to the charger while this one is not powered would discharge the phone much more faster. Also tested on a laptop.
According to that, I never leave a battery connected to anything if it can be unconnected (especially for drones batteries).

2020-6-18
Use props
Paul Atkin
lvl.2
United States

Francoisd Posted at 6-18 07:53
Hi,

Have you been storing your batteries this way for such a long time (a month or so as you're saying) with previous firmware ?

they were stored like that for a year with previous firmware. it is not an issue how they were stored.
update - after an hour in this extra slow cycle it went from 2 leds to 3 leds cycle - so it is charging. i guess after it gets above 50% i will downgrade to .400 to see if it fixes this cr@p. very frustrating stuff.
2020-6-18
Use props
Paul Atkin
lvl.2
United States

Paul Atkin Posted at 6-18 08:03
they were stored like that for a year with previous firmware. it is not an issue how they were stored.
update - after an hour in this extra slow cycle it went from 2 leds to 3 leds cycle - so it is charging. i guess after it gets above 50% i will downgrade to .400 to see if it fixes this cr@p. very frustrating stuff.

jesus f christ. i found what that is. and it is definitely a firmware induced thing.
so, i was using all this time, since the beginning - a power adapter from samsung phone. it had 5v and 9v levels and was ALWAYS doing fast charge cycle fine.

i found now an another power brick - from DJI smart controller. it started fast charge cycle and maintains that cycle. so it appears 5v or 9v is not enough now to do ANY charging - or they had added something to understand i am not using a DJI branded charger - as i tried 3 other USB chargers on my desk - 2 were fast chargers, one was not - they all would produce an extra slow charging cycle.

it is seriously odd.
PS. downgraded bird to .400, with battery in it - i think it did not alter battery code as behavior did not change. as this point i give up - will use DJI smart controller charger from now on.
2020-6-18
Use props
Niflheim The Dude
lvl.3
Flight distance : 533048 ft
Romania

the dji charger has also 12v
2020-6-18
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern, may I know are you using a recommended charger when you are encountering this issue. Please visit this link to our official DJI website for more details about the recommended voltage when charging for the DJI Mavic Mini. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2020-6-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules