Brand new Mavic Air 2 has a weird motor sound
4510 18 2020-6-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bonchan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 594475 ft
Argentina

Hello this is my first post and an unfortunate one.
I received the Mavic Air 2 2 days ago.
When I installed the propellers I noticed that one of the motors has a weird feel. When I rotate it it makes a noice that is different from the others.

This is what I've noticed:

I contact DJI and they said to take it to the Service Center (I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina BTW)
I took it there and they told me that it was nothing.. That they hear the sound but it was nothing.
We made a flight test and there are no errors.

I went back home and I tested the noice against my Mavic Air 1
This is the result:

I feel like there is something wrong with that motor. And even though it flyes ok I'm not that confortable buying a new drone that makes this sound.

So I came here to ask what are your thoughts on this.

Thanks for reading me.

2020-6-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi bonchan, we've forwarded the videos to our engineers to confirm and got the feedback that it is normal, it will not affect the flight performance, please rest assured to fly the drone.
2020-6-22
Use props
bonchan
lvl.2
Argentina

DJI Mindy Posted at 6-22 02:42
Hi bonchan, we've forwarded the videos to our engineers to confirm and got the feedback that it is normal, it will not affect the flight performance, please rest assured to fly the drone.

Thanks Mindy, I guess.

I would expect "normal" to be that all motors sound the same. I've had 3 drones counting this one and no motor had sounded like that before. Is it completely safe to fly with that sound?
2020-6-22
Use props
Droneflier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1811322 ft
South Africa

That sure does not sound right maybe the person at DJI that listened to the motor noise had the sound switched off
2020-6-22
Use props
bonchan
lvl.2
Argentina

Droneflier Posted at 6-22 06:51
That sure does not sound right maybe the person at DJI that listened to the motor noise had the sound switched off

That wouldn't surprise me. I went to the service center to get it checked. They were playing music. I told them to turn it off so that they could listen to it clearly... they didn't.
The thing is that it's new, I don't want to get it fixed. I want it replaced. Have you experienced something like this?
Thanks for your reply
2020-6-22
Use props
DH_Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3301621 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

definitely not normal probably bearings in that motor are damaged.
2020-6-22
Use props
Droneflier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1811322 ft
South Africa

No I have not, ask them to give you a written go ahead to fly the drone as is and that they will cover the repair and any damage that may be related to the drone failing should the indicated motor fail.
2020-6-23
Use props
bonchan
lvl.2
Argentina

Droneflier Posted at 6-23 05:00
No I have not, ask them to give you a written go ahead to fly the drone as is and that they will cover the repair and any damage that may be related to the drone failing should the indicated motor fail.

Yes! I will, I'm also talking to global support and sent them the video. I'll let you know once I have a reply.

Thanks for your idea!
2020-6-23
Use props
gabriele990
lvl.1

Italy

Hi, do you have news about this issue? Because I have the same issue with my new Mavic Air 2 and on the same motor too...
2020-8-30
Use props
bonchan
lvl.2
Argentina

gabriele990 Posted at 8-30 11:28
Hi, do you have news about this issue? Because I have the same issue with my new Mavic Air 2 and on the same motor too...

Hello, yes. I went to the store and requested a replacement. They did it but they complained a lot saying that the motor was ok. I contacted dji online support and they told me I could ask for a replacement.
So my strategy was saying that Ive contacted global support.
I waited a lot untill they gave me the new one. And they told me I didnt have any more replacements. Dji Argentina is full of BS.
I can tell you that you should go to the store and ask for the replacement and in the case they dont want to do it. contact dji online support
At first they wanted to open it an replace the motor but I didnt agree on that, its a new product and shouldnt be fixed.
Try uploading a video like I did so that you can share that when you contact support.

cheers, let me know here how it goes
2020-8-31
Use props
djiuser_gDqXXMcndP8q
lvl.1
Flight distance : 434170 ft
Slovakia

Hello,
I found the same problem on my MA2, on the same motor!
I have already flown the drone for some hours so its "tested" and it seems to be working well, but I am still worried that this could actually be a problem and I dont want the drone to unexpectedly fall from the sky...

If some DJI engineers says that its not a problem, can he maybe explain by what is this caused? I am thinking about contacting some local support just to be on safe side...
2020-11-15
Use props
bonchan
lvl.2
Argentina

djiuser_gDqXXMcndP8q Posted at 11-15 14:33
Hello,
I found the same problem on my MA2, on the same motor!
I have already flown the drone for some hours so its "tested" and it seems to be working well, but I am still worried that this could actually be a problem and I dont want the drone to unexpectedly fall from the sky...

I asked for a replacement and got a new one. All motors are ok on this one.
When I had the problem I talked with online support here https://www.dji.com/support
Online Support -> Mavic -> Product and Technical Support -> Still need help? Contact Online Support.
a pop up opens and they answer very quickly.

If you can, ask for a replacement. Thats what I did and im much confortable without the motor sound.

cheers!
2020-11-16
Use props
fans77297ffc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 67598 ft
Turkey

My MA2 have the exact same problem on exact same front left motor. I have contacted the local distributor in Turkey. They said I should send the drone to them for the inspection and they will take a look. I won't agree on anything but a replacement. Fixing a brand new drone is really disappointing.

2020-12-25
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Definitely not normal, could be any number of things, but usually it's a bad bearing when you hear something like this. It'll probably run like that for quite a while, but it's just a matter of time before it finally gives up the ghost. It should be the nice quiet whine all the way around like on your original Air....

2020-12-25
Use props
fans77297ffc
lvl.2
Turkey

bonchan Posted at 8-31 08:57
Hello, yes. I went to the store and requested a replacement. They did it but they complained a lot saying that the motor was ok. I contacted dji online support and they told me I could ask for a replacement.
So my strategy was saying that Ive contacted global support.
I waited a lot untill they gave me the new one. And they told me I didnt have any more replacements. Dji Argentina is full of BS.

I have a question, did you receive a brand new sealed box or just a new drone without the box.
2020-12-27
Use props
bonchan
lvl.2
Argentina

fans77297ffc Posted at 12-27 11:57
I have a question, did you receive a brand new sealed box or just a new drone without the box.

brand new. sealed with all inside. I even saved the SN to validate it was different

is someone trying to give you a drone without a box??
2020-12-29
Use props
fans77297ffc
lvl.2
Turkey

bonchan Posted at 12-29 09:18
brand new. sealed with all inside. I even saved the SN to validate it was different

is someone trying to give you a drone without a box??

I sent the drone 2 days ago to the local distributor, they did not investigated yet. I wanted to know if you received a sealed box or just a replacement drone. I will force them to give me a brand new box as well I saved the serial numbers of everything as well clever idea;)
2020-12-30
Use props
Bob-Mavic Pro Platinum
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

I would feel that ALL the motors should sound the same!  Sounds like something is rubbing.  Good luck - and Happy New Year.
2020-12-30
Use props
fans77297ffc
lvl.2
Turkey

I want to share an update on my case. I have been in contact with DJI for around 2 weeks now. I must say I am very very disappointed.  I have sent the drone to the local service. They said they have advised the case to DJI and DJI refuse the replace the drone. My drone is simply brand new, had no crash or any sort of hard landing. It is always protected by a hard case. It flew a total of 3h48min, total distance flown is 20.6km.

There is a grinding sound on the front left motor and it is clearly a manufacturer error. DJI asked the local service to send the drone overseas for repair. I won't agree since it's a new drone and who wants a brand drone to be fixed?

I have been a customer of DJI since Naza and Wookong. I committed my friend to buy a Mavic air 2, I feel guilty that I lead my friend to buy a product that the company does not stand behind it's products. Horrible customer experience DJI
2021-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules