1st attempt over water & following - omg lots to learn
744 23 2020-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Remedii
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15853 ft
United Kingdom

I got brave and decided to take it over water, 1st attempt, so so difficult to try and track smoothly & think of the next angle to film, all of the time hoping it doesn't plunge in to the sea!

Want to track the big boat at some point at with the drone going flat out! loads more practice required!

Any tips?

Thanks
2020-6-19
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

Practice over land, in clear ares until things get more intuitive, and can handle some different situations/warnings/"the dreaded loss of signal", etc.
Watch your return to home points, oh, and least we forget, HEADWINDS...Going over water? Go against the wind on the outbound, ALWAYS.
You'll thank me later! And one should start back @60% over water......You know why....
2020-6-19
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice first attempt. keep them coming.
2020-6-19
Use props
maddox
First Officer
Malaysia

Great footage, thanks for sharing
2020-6-19
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great effort
2020-6-19
Use props
djiuser_RIeSM3mAo5mf
lvl.4
Flight distance : 542083 ft
Spain

Well,, it's a simple answer, it's a feature which DJI DOESN'T WANT to enable on the MM ,,, the hardware is perfectly able to make it
2020-6-19
Use props
Nolan Silvius
lvl.4
Flight distance : 238163 ft
United States

Keep it up!
2020-6-19
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

It's tricky from a boat, because if the remote disconnect, the drone is going to land at its home point, which might be right in the water if you moved your boat. It is best to make the home point something from shore or from a deck maybe.
2020-6-19
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

You need practice, flying a drone is much like driving a manual (stick shift) car, it comes natural only if you're used to it. If you keep training regularly at some point in time you will move the controls without thinking, just like you move your eyes.
2020-6-19
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done.  I live on a 62' boat so I launch and recover by hand from my boat.  I spend lots of time flying over water.  Just takes practice and knowing how your MM responds to your stick commands.  I usually return with at least 45% battery left just to play it safe.  I've had a few close calls with seagull attacks but so far no close encounters with the water.  Good luck with your future flights.
2020-6-19
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't think he was tracking himself in the boat. At least I don't see anyone with a controller. Nice first try.

Another thing, if he wants to follow a faster boat, he will have an easier time keeping up if going downwind. Bad for the round trip but faster.

2020-6-19
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Daniella3d Posted at 6-19 09:53
It's tricky from a boat, because if the remote disconnect, the drone is going to land at its home point, which might be right in the water if you moved your boat. It is best to make the home point something from shore or from a deck maybe.

I just set it to hover instead of RTH. I can go back and get it that way.
2020-6-19
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

GaryDoug Posted at 6-19 18:52
I just set it to hover instead of RTH. I can go back and get it that way.

what if you cannot reconnect to the remote or if this happen when there is not so much battery left? Would you have time to reconnect to the remote and land it?
2020-6-19
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Daniella3d Posted at 6-19 18:55
what if you cannot reconnect to the remote or if this happen when there is not so much battery left? Would you have time to reconnect to the remote and land it?

If there isn't much battery time left, I don't want it trying to fly back to the home port.

I have never seen an inability to reconnect when closer. Usually when following, I fly in sport mode and it can disconnect, but always comes back quickly.

If I really cannot reconnect, I will just put the boat under it and wait until it auto lands with a low battery. But that hasn't happened yet ;-)
2020-6-19
Use props
Guorium
lvl.4
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

It is hard to do pro level tracking action film all by yourself. Pros got bigger dual control platforms with a dedicated pilot and a dedicated camera man.
2020-6-19
Use props
DeafMacBoi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7848 ft

United States

You have caused me to have a major heart attack when you are new to drone and flew over water. Please don't do that....Start with  over land first....
2020-6-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nicely done.    
2020-6-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Remedii. Thank you for reaching out and for posting this amazing video you have filmed with your DJI Mavic Mini. Just a reminder to please fly carefully and please be aware of the drone's altitude when flying above water. When flying above the water, the vision system of the said drone will turn off automatically, if the vision system is affected an accident might happen. Thank you and have a safe flight always.
2020-6-22
Use props
Remedii
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-22 02:40
Hello there Remedii. Thank you for reaching out and for posting this amazing video you have filmed with your DJI Mavic Mini. Just a reminder to please fly carefully and please be aware of the drone's altitude when flying above water. When flying above the water, the vision system of the said drone will turn off automatically, if the vision system is affected an accident might happen. Thank you and have a safe flight always.

What sort of height above water do you expect there to be issues?
2020-6-22
Use props
Gelert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2063238 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nice job - was that you on the boat with the blue canopy ??
2020-6-22
Use props
Remedii
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Gelert Posted at 6-22 10:58
Nice job  - was that you on the boat with the blue canopy ??

Hi, thanks, yes me stood at the front.
2020-6-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Never too old to learn!
Nice views!
2020-6-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

PS, I subscribed to your channel via 2 channels .
Mine are http://www.youtube.com/c/tricksandtipsnl
http://www.youtube.com/c/PeterMontfrooij
2020-6-23
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Remedii Posted at 6-22 10:50
What sort of height above water do you expect there to be issues?

Any height above water that is in the range of the optical down sensors would be risky. That would be about 10 meters. Above that you should be safe. I think the problem is that sometimes the water causes a false altitude reading depending on water conditions and clarity.
That being said, I have flown both of my Minis close to the surface many times and have had no issues, just been lucky probably.
2020-6-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules