Compass error that won't go away
4759 15 2020-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Inspire315
lvl.2
Flight distance : 478875 ft
United States

My mavic 2 had an unfortunate accident which required replacing a rear arm. I installed a new one and everything powers up nicely and works as you expect with camera/gimbal. But I get a compass error every time I turn it on. Initially it would bring me through the horizontal cal and then after the vertical cal it would say failed. Tried a couple different spots, took off my apple watch etc. Nothing changed. Tried doing some research and one of the only suggestions I saw was redownloading the app. Did that recently and still had the calibration error but now after the vertical cal it quickly says successful with the checkmark and then goes back to asking for the vertical cal again. Regardless of how many times I do the vertical CCW spin it stays hung on that screen. I'm lost as to what needs to happen. I have spun the motors a couple times with the props and it's doing some funny things so I don't want to put props on until I have this figured out/fixed.

I've tried some of my other sources that I would post and it's been crickets for responses. Hoping someone here has some suggestions to try.

2020-6-19
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

I know we are talking about the compass, but have you tried to do an IMU calibration? I would try
that and then try the compass calibration. After a crash it's wise to recalibrate everything including the
vision sensors.
2020-6-19
Use props
Inspire315
lvl.2
United States

Woe Posted at 6-19 09:25
I know we are talking about the compass, but have you tried to do an IMU calibration? I would try
that and then try the compass calibration. After a crash it's wise to recalibrate everything including the
vision sensors.

I have not, but I'll look into doing that
2020-6-19
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Inspire315 Posted at 6-19 10:02

Good luck.
2020-6-19
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Inspire315 Posted at 6-19 10:02

Good luck.
2020-6-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If you have a persistent compass error message, the first thing to check is the Sensors section in the app settings.
What does it show for the compass?
If it's showing the compass is disconnected, you won't be able to calibrate.

2020-6-19
Use props
Elvizz666
lvl.1
Flight distance : 83317 ft
Thailand

I am having issues with the compass on my Mavic Air 2. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. What helps here? A compass and IMU calibration?
2020-6-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Elvizz666 Posted at 6-20 01:48
I am having issues with the compass on my Mavic Air 2. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. What helps here? A compass and IMU calibration?

The IMU has nothing to do with the compass.
Messing with the IMU would be a complete waste of time.

Since no-one has any idea what issue you are having with your compass, no-one can give you appropriate advice.
If you want help, it would be a good idea to start a new thread and describe the problem you are having.
2020-6-20
Use props
Elvizz666
lvl.1
Flight distance : 83317 ft
Thailand

Labroides Posted at 6-20 04:26
The IMU has nothing to do with the compass.
Messing with the IMU would be a complete waste of time.

I created a new thread but I just found the problem: the compass and the GPS on my phone were deactivated. All is working fine now.
2020-6-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Elvizz666 Posted at 6-20 04:51
I created a new thread but I just found the problem: the compass and the GPS on my phone were deactivated. All is working fine now.

I just found the problem: the compass and the GPS on my phone were deactivated.
The compass and GPS on your phone have nothing to do with the compass and GPS in your drone.
They have no way of causing compass error conditions.

Whether activated or not should make no difference at all.

It turns out your problem had nothing to do with the compass in the drone.
The orientation indicator uses the compass in your phone.
ALmost nothing drone-related uses the GPS in your phone.

2020-6-20
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry to know about this unfortunate incident with your DJI Mavic 2 Pro. Since the drone experienced a hard landing, I would recommended to please have the said drone sent in for further diagnosis. Rest assured that our DJI Support team will do their best to analyse, diagnose and repair the said drone. Please note that the repair cost will depend on the warranty period of the said drone; otherwise, valid charges will apply. Thank you.
2020-6-24
Use props
Inspire315
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 6-19 17:04
If you have a persistent compass error message, the first thing to check is the Sensors section in the app settings.
What does it show for the compass?
If it's showing the compass is disconnected, you won't be able to calibrate.

I have and took it to a completely new spot yesterday and fired it up. The compass sensor is reading, but is in the 870s. I haven't verified if that number is changing, just have a screenshot of it. Try to calibrate as I might, nothing is taking.

I'm even trying to find out what board that is on so I can inspect/buy a replacement to troubleshoot, but I can't find much of anything on the Mavic 2 compass.
2020-6-24
Use props
Inspire315
lvl.2
United States

Woe Posted at 6-19 09:25
vision sensors.

Cold IMU cal didn't change the issue, thanks for the idea though.
2020-6-24
Use props
Inspire315
lvl.2
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 6-24 00:26
Hi. I am sorry to know about this unfortunate incident with your DJI Mavic 2 Pro. Since the drone experienced a hard landing, I would recommended to please have the said drone sent in for further diagnosis. Rest assured that our DJI Support team will do their best to analyse, diagnose and repair the said drone. Please note that the repair cost will depend on the warranty period of the said drone; otherwise, valid charges will apply. Thank you.

Thanks! I'm hoping to avoid that if possible. Isn't my first DJI repair, and most times can learn something. But if I can't find anything else out in the next few weeks, that'll be what has to happen I guess.
2020-6-24
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Inspire315 Posted at 6-24 04:12
Cold IMU cal didn't change the issue, thanks for the idea though.

No problem.
2020-6-24
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Inspire315 Posted at 6-24 04:13
Thanks! I'm hoping to avoid that if possible. Isn't my first DJI repair, and most times can learn something. But if I can't find anything else out in the next few weeks, that'll be what has to happen I guess.

You are more than welcome. Our DJI support team will be more than happy to assist you regarding this matter and thank you for your valued support.
2020-6-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules