Ronin-SC: Electronic Focus Pull /w Sony a6400 & Focus Wheel?
5272 8 2020-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans1c53c656
lvl.1
Flight distance : 739075 ft
  • >>>
United States

How do I do this? It seems to only zoom no matter what setting I put the camera in.
2020-6-19
Use props
fans1c53c656
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

To clarify; I don't have the focus motor - only the focus wheel. I am trying to manually electronic focus my Sony a6400 (16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OS Lens) with the focus wheel on the Ronin-SC. I purchased the focus wheel under the impression I'd be able to do so.
2020-6-19
Use props
Rincewind
lvl.4
  • >>>
Taiwan

Hi there!
Which cable are you using? Note that, for using electronic focus pulling, you need to use a usbC+adapter variante. Apparently, the micro-usb multi cable only allows for electronic zooming with the focus wheel (https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... ibility_List_en.pdf)
2020-6-19
Use props
fans1c53c656
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Rincewind Posted at 6-19 16:14
Hi there!
Which cable are you using? Note that, for using electronic focus pulling, you need to use a usbC+adapter variante. Apparently, the micro-usb multi cable only allows for electronic zooming with the focus wheel (https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Ronin_SC/Ronin_SC_Camera_Compatibility_List_en.pdf)

I'm using the "Ronin-SC Multi-Camera Control Cable" (essentially micro-USB) going from the camera directly to the USB-C port on the arm of the Ronin-SC. There are no other data ports accessible on the a6400 (only HDMI and 3.5mm microphone).
2020-6-19
Use props
fans1c53c656
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Rincewind Posted at 6-19 16:14
Hi there!
Which cable are you using? Note that, for using electronic focus pulling, you need to use a usbC+adapter variante. Apparently, the micro-usb multi cable only allows for electronic zooming with the focus wheel (https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Ronin_SC/Ronin_SC_Camera_Compatibility_List_en.pdf)

Finally got it to work! I found the USB-C to MCC adapter (micro-USB type connector) in the case. Blends in well with the foam.

Now is there any way to get zoom with the focus wheel to work with without switching to the other cable?
2020-6-19
Use props
Joshsho510
New
United States

I'm about to buy the Ronin SC and I'm trying to figure out if I can operate focus using the extra focus motor accessory. I have a Panasonic Lumix GH3. All info I search tells me that the gimbal is not compatible for electronic focus control, but I am wondering if that applies with the extra focus motor, since it seems to have a direct connection from motor to gimbal. Do you know about this?
I'm curious if the gimbal to motor connection will operate with the focus wheel at the very least, or if it really matters to have a compatible camera. My impression is that the compatibility is only relative to zoom within the camera if an electric zoom lens is attached.
I tried to post a thread of my own with this question, but I suppose I'm not leveled up enough on the forum.
2020-6-20
Use props
Rincewind
lvl.4
  • >>>
Taiwan

fans1c53c656 Posted at 6-19 19:51
Finally got it to work! I found the USB-C to MCC adapter (micro-USB type connector) in the case. Blends in well with the foam.

Now is there any way to get zoom with the focus wheel to work with without switching to the other cable?

Glad to hear it worked with the adapter. However, as you can see in the document I linked, nope, there is no easy way to switch without changing the cable. I'd also love if it'd be possible, but I think that's something DJI engineering will have to deal with.
2020-6-21
Use props
Rincewind
lvl.4
  • >>>
Taiwan

Joshsho510 Posted at 6-20 17:10
I'm about to buy the Ronin SC and I'm trying to figure out if I can operate focus using the extra focus motor accessory. I have a Panasonic Lumix GH3. All info I search tells me that the gimbal is not compatible for electronic focus control, but I am wondering if that applies with the extra focus motor, since it seems to have a direct connection from motor to gimbal. Do you know about this?
I'm curious if the gimbal to motor connection will operate with the focus wheel at the very least, or if it really matters to have a compatible camera. My impression is that the compatibility is only relative to zoom within the camera if an electric zoom lens is attached.
I tried to post a thread of my own with this question, but I suppose I'm not leveled up enough on the forum.

First, a disclaimer: I do not own the motor system.

However, the motor is just that, a motor ending in a gear which is operated by turning the wheel on the ronin SC handle. What you attach to the gear is irrelevant to the motor, and by extension, the ronin SC itself. If you could interlock it, my guess is you could wind up a mechanical watch with the focus motor, basically.
So, if the motor can be set in contact with the focus wheel and/or zoom wheel of your lens, and the grooves of the latter are deep enough for the motor gear to interlock with them, yep, you should have no trouble focusing. Furthermore, if I remember correctly, the motor comes with these plastic stripes with notches that you can latch onto your lens to really make sure that interlocking happens nicely.

2020-6-21
Use props
fans1c53c656
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Rincewind Posted at 6-21 17:04
Glad to hear it worked with the adapter. However, as you can see in the document I linked, nope, there is no easy way to switch without changing the cable. I'd also love if it'd be possible, but I think that's something DJI engineering will have to deal with.

Well may the stars align and DJI implement this cohesiveness into their next update!
2020-6-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules