Batteries melting?
1541 11 2020-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

I just watched a report of this on YT and apparently there is some other discussion (OriginalDoBo) to the same affect.  Has anyone here noted any battery melt issues from overheating?

I just checked all mine, no issues so far.  I have only flown each battery approximately 3 times.
2020-6-19
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you fly in high degree sunny climates then yes there's a prone to batteries swelling and causing complications.
2020-6-19
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lately I have been flying in a 90+F environment. No problems with any of the 3 batteries. Minimal swelling, almost none. This with about 60 flights, maybe 20 for each battery. I have NEVER used the charging hub. This guy in the video is very suspect. He says he charged the batteries IN THE DRONE...not possible.
2020-6-19
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you fly a drone around in high temperatures then throw it in the bag and throw the bag in the car without removing the battery after flight then guess what... Batteries swell because the user does not look after their gear. People neglect their stuff then when things go wrong they seek to blame the people who made it to get their money back. Classic displacement of responsibility. These batteries do NOT melt. I'm surprised the guy in the vid didn't put them in the oven to cool them down...  
2020-6-19
Use props
djicheaha
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2957598 ft
  • >>>
United States

When I first flew this drone, I found that it gets hot on the bottom. Not too hot to touch, but warmer than I initially liked. The batteries, as I expected, also gets warm. I remove the battery after flight, place both in the shade and all cool off rather quickly. I have flown this drone enough to no longer be concerned about the heat, but I am also particular about cooling things off. With proper care, overheating, or "melting" is not a concern for me.
2020-6-20
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Power supply in your vid is for a Mavic AIR......  NOT MA 2

If your battery is within 6mo get an RMA from DJI Support.   Lion/LiPo batteries can have issues....it's known.

Randy
2020-6-20
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

rwynant V1 Posted at 6-20 17:53
The Power supply in your vid is for a Mavic AIR......  NOT MA 2

If your battery is within 6mo get an RMA from DJI Support.   Lion/LiPo batteries can have issues....it's known.

Not my video, however, I did not watch all the way through, and it appears this was more of a stunt for views than anything else.  Sorry to bother everyone!  Better safe than sorry.
2020-6-22
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

I've been waiting for the batteries of my Fly More Combo to start discharging to see just how warm or hot the batteries get. One of the batteries had been flown since being fully charged and was probably at around 70% at the end of the flight, but the other two were not flown.
On the un-flown batteries I can barely feel a little bit of warmth in the area where the damage is in the photos. The temperature increase can't be more than a degree or two. If I were to take the batteries outside and let them sit in the sun we have today even for a short time, the cases would without a doubt get warmer than they are now.

I'm not saying that the batteries can't get damaged from the self-discharging circuitry, but it seems highly unlikely unless there is a defect or some mistreatment of the batteries. And since nobody else has reported this issue, I don't think it's anything but a very rare occurrence.
2020-6-25
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

After concluding that the batteries didn't produce enough heat to be a problem, I put the Fly More Combo gear into my Nanuk 915 case and closed the lid yesterday. I checked on it a few minutes ago and having the batteries secured in the high-density foam and with no air circulating, the batteries still are just barely warm. More of the battery case feels warm, but the ambient temperature today is a handful of degrees cooler than yesterday, so that may also play a role. The discharging certainly doesn't produce enough heat to cause damage even if you keep everything in the Fly More Combo bag or a hard case like mine.
2020-6-26
Use props
djicheaha
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2957598 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good point about, closing up the batteries and quad in your case while still "hot"  warm. I use a Pelican 1400 and count on it's ability protect my gear from external environmental damage (moisture, knocked about). BUT, I am particular about ensuring that my gear is cooled off before I seal it in the case. I am also particular about not leaving my case in a hot car. Pelican cases (claim) are equally adept at protecting your gear from extreme temperatures and are rated to withstand a temperature range of -10°F upwards to 210°F. I am curious about protecting the content in extreme temperature (hot car). I will test this weekend.
2020-6-26
Use props
Gregg F
lvl.3
Flight distance : 40846 ft
United States

I refuse to fly my Zoom unless it is under 90 degrees out because of this. Which is nearly half the year in Vegas. That is why all my recent videos are from Mount Charleston. Everywhere else around is too hot.
2020-6-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I don’t think I have ever seen anyone so happy to have a problem, and I’m always weary of those who rush to YT before making any enquiry from the manufacturer thus being able to help those who might be having similar problems.
While I’m no doubting his problem, they’re more ways than this rubbish to find out what’s going on. I watched OD and he only mentions this guy and the photo he showed, he never mentioned any similar problems he was having with batteries .
But thanks for posting and others can be vigilant in checking their batteries.
2020-6-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules