Pilot App realtime video is too dark to see
4364 12 2015-6-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chris17house
lvl.3
Flight distance : 599432 ft
  • >>>

When flying my Phantom 3 Advanced the video output on my tablet is too dark to view unless I open the advanced camera settings, then the picture lightens up for me to see.
This isn't an ideal work around since I need to switch back and fourth in order to see my video feed, and see my telemetry.

I cannot figure it out. I appreciate any help.
2015-6-17
Use props
pianist
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37956 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

If running the app in auto exposure mode it will usually underexpose in cloudy conditions, especially if you divide your image 50/50 between sky and ground. So you need to lock your exposure/over expose. Then you need of course to put your screen brightness to maximum. If monitoring in bright sunlit conditions this is usually not enough and you really need a sunshade for your tablet. I'm desperately waiting for mine to arrive, and meanwhile I can only get a rough estimate of the contours in the image. It's really hard to judge anything in bright sunlight. Be careful not to crank up your cameras exposure too far - you will risk to overexpose your image. (FYI I have an iPad Air 2)
2015-6-17
Use props
chris17house
lvl.3
  • >>>

pianist Posted at 2015-6-18 02:47
If running the app in auto exposure mode it will usually underexpose in cloudy conditions, especiall ...

Thanks, Pianist.

I will try the exposure auto lock. That may be the trick.

I know it's not the sunlight, or the screen brightness being too dim locally on the tablet because I can see the live feed perfectly fine when i click the "advanced camera settings button". But when I click out of the advanced camera settings, and the feed with the telemetry pops back up, the video feed is way too dark to view.
2015-6-17
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

chris17house Posted at 2015-6-18 03:09
Thanks, Pianist.

What does the histogram look like?
2015-6-17
Use props
chris17house
lvl.3
  • >>>

BobbyB Posted at 2015-6-18 03:21

I will take a screenshot of both views a little later.
2015-6-17
Use props
pianist
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37956 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

BobbyB Posted at 2015-6-18 03:21

As I understand you try to manually compensate the exposure and when trying to locking it, it pops back to auto settings? If that's the case - push the settings button instead of image adjustment button... I had to sort that out as well
2015-6-17
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

chris17house Posted at 2015-6-18 03:09
Thanks, Pianist.

Tapping the advanced camera settings icon allows you to make a few adjustments - you are therefore in manual mode. IF YOU WANT TO STAY IN MANUAL MODE DO NOT TAP ON THAT SAME ICON AGAIN!

When the advanced camera settings icon is highlighted you are in MANUAL mode.
When the advanced camera settings icon is NOT highlighted, you are in AUTO mode.

When you go into MANUAL mode, if you want to stay in MANUAL mode, swipe the window on the left hand side (the one where you can adjust ISO and shutter speed) off the screen. That window disappears and the advanced camera settings icon remains highlighted and you're still in MANUAL mode.

Good luck.
2015-6-17
Use props
chris17house
lvl.3
  • >>>

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-18 05:13
Tapping the advanced camera settings icon allows you to make a few adjustments - you are therefore ...

The issue is that I want to stay in Auto mode so I can see the live feed and telemetry (speed, distance, etc), but when in Auto mode, the video feed on my tablet is too dark.

When I switch to Manual mode, the video feed is 100% brighter on the tablet. Like night and day. How do i get Auto mode's video feed brighter?

My tablet already has the screen brightness at 100%, and is perfectly viewable in manual mode.
2015-6-19
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

United States

There are two wheels on the front of the remote. The left wheel adjusts the gimbal; the right wheel adjusts the exposure. What happens when you turn the right wheel?  Doesn't your screen get brighter or dimmer?
2015-6-19
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

Rob88 Posted at 2015-6-19 20:02
There are two wheels on the front of the remote. The left wheel adjusts the gimbal; the right wheel  ...

That was my first thought, I thought I had a problem until I discovered that also.
2015-6-19
Use props
chris17house
lvl.3
  • >>>

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-6-19 21:21
That was my first thought, I thought I had a problem until I discovered that also.

When you adjust the exposure, on the tablet, or wheel, yes, the screen brightens/darkens.

Are Auto Mode, and Manual Mode completely different? Where if I make changes to the exposure to brighten the screen in Auto Mode, then the settings in Manual Mode are unaffected?

I'll have to test this.
2015-6-19
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

chris17house Posted at 2015-6-19 21:39
When you adjust the exposure, on the tablet, or wheel, yes, the screen brightens/darkens.

Are Au ...

Yeah,  you will figure it out,  mess with it remember what you have done and go back and look at the video ,  I am still figuring how best to use camera settings ,
2015-6-19
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

My very first flight i couldn't see anything on the screen and the video was all washed out.  Turns out I got the gimbal wheel and exposure wheel mixed up    Now I turn on the auto exposure warning, turn it up until I see stripes, and then back off a notch or two.
2015-6-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules