123Next >
19262 83 2020-6-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
m80116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

I can't understand how one can stamp a judgement on a thing in this way here.

Even my lousy quality Yagi/Udas give a considerably better range... and that is no gimmick. Going up from 1.2 Km to 2 Km can't be classified as such.

Should one ask, I'd still advise the parabolics over the Yagi/Udas, but because they're easier to handle, no need to precisely aim, mora gracious when installed on the RC and at least in my case give about the same range as the Y/U but without the fuss at the longest range of signal disconnection but a less disruptive video feedback blackout.

Anyway... I am pretty confident between a good set of Yagi/Uda with copper cores and the parabolics the Y/U will have the upper hand.

For example this one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ ... .0.0.30ea2e0e7lGB5X

Costs about the same as I paid mine which I knew would not be great being 3D printed... but turned out even worse because it was even 3D warped and 3D stained with leftover 3D filament of some other prints. I guess I paid the price for being one of the early adopters.
2020-7-3
Use props
ebea
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4297572 ft
Denmark

A little addition to my previous post. You have to remeber, that a Yagi Antenna is an Active Antenna. It means that the Dipol (which are the part that set the Frequency) has to be connected electrically to the Receiver/Transmitter. In the case here, there are no connection at all. IF it should have just a bit of possibility to work, the original Antennas on the Controller had to be removed, and replaced with the Yagi Antennas Dipol. And all Components on a Yagi need to be defined exactly out from the Frequency it has to go on. I will say with these mentioned here, you could replace them with a piece of wood, and get same result. If you really would gain the flight distance, then use either the parabolic reflector, or better, an actice antenna construction, which replace the original Antennas. Here in this Link, are an example of such one (and they work).

https://alienth.cn/products/alientech-5-8g-antenna-signal-booster-for-dji-drone-mavic-air-spark-phantom-4pro-inspire-2-m200-600
2020-7-4
Use props
ebea
lvl.4
Denmark

m80116 Posted at 7-3 23:38
I can't understand how one can stamp a judgement on a thing in this way here.

Even my lousy quality Yagi/Udas give a considerably better range... and that is no gimmick. Going up from 1.2 Km to 2 Km can't be classified as such.

I dont know, what you base that test on. That you say you can get a range gain from 1.2 to 2 km. are based on fully other conditions, and not that you have such construction on the original Antennas.
As I mention in my last answer on the thread, then a Yagi Antenna need to be active, to work at all. And the construction need to be exactly constructed to teh Frequency used.
Remember, that the Antenna has to work in both ways (Transmit(Receive).
The Antenna construction you have on the Photo here, do not even have a Dipol, which are the basic element for an Yagi Antenna to work.

Here is a link to a solution, which are based on an active Antenna solution, and whic replace the original Antennas. And that works.

https://alienth.cn/products/alie ... -inspire-2-m200-600
2020-7-4
Use props
The Duck
lvl.4
United States

ebea Posted at 7-4 00:21
I dont know, what you base that test on. That you say you can get a range gain from 1.2 to 2 km. are based on fully other conditions, and not that you have such construction on the original Antennas.
As I mention in my last answer on the thread, then a Yagi Antenna need to be active, to work at all. And the construction need to be exactly constructed to teh Frequency used.
Remember, that the Antenna has to work in both ways (Transmit(Receive).

All antennas, including Yagis, are passive devices.  You don't need active components (amplifier) for antennas to work and it is possible to increase both TX and RX gain without an amplifier.

The price of that Alientech antenna is ridiculous.  And I would caution anything into thinking that an amplifier will solve their range problems on WiFi based drones like the Mavic Mini.

What I found when I ran a small WISP is that you need an amplifier and matched antennas on both ends of the link for a solid point-to-point link.  If one end of the WiFi link is getting a strong signal, then it will reduce its transmitting power.  It is the way WiFi works. A WiFi transceiver doesn't know that there is an amplifier and a high gain antenna on the other end.

So in the case of a Mavic Mini, the modified RC sends a really strong signal to the AC, and the AC's WiFi transceiver will reduce its transmitting power and send an even weaker signal.  Not good.

A better solution would be to proportionally increase the gain of both the RC and AC antennas.  And probably more trouble than it's worth.
2020-7-4
Use props
ebea
lvl.4
Denmark

The Duck Posted at 7-4 07:59
All antennas, including Yagis, are passive devices.  You don't need active components (amplifier) for antennas to work and it is possible to increase both TX and RX gain without an amplifier.

The price of that Alientech antenna is ridiculous.  And I would caution anything into thinking that an amplifier will solve their range problems on WiFi based drones like the Mavic Mini.

Only Reflectors and Directors on Antennas, are to consider as passive in an Antenna! What makes the gain, is first of all, that you have defined a wavelength (Mhz) where you want the Antenna to work (thats the Dipol, which becomes the active part). A fully passive antenna, has no Gain at all, and is only for the Birds to sit on.

I don't know what it is you are pointing to, about "..What I found when I ran a small...", but I have never heard about that a strong signal received in one end, should reduce the transmitting power.
So if this should be the case, there would not be any antenna gained system who would work.
I have set up a lot of Antennas during the years, to gain signals in both 2.4 and 5.8 Ghz area, and measurements on these systems, show the effect which are the goal, with the Antennas.
It's not guessing, or any mystery, but the real thing.

And thats why I wrote, and I will repeat, that the Yagi design Antennas on the Photo in these thread, has no effect at all. They could even make it worse, at they disturb the Antenna (signal) on the Controller.
If we just as an hypothetical example, did say that they worked. How would the Antenna knows in which Frequency it works on? How should they gain the signal send return to the Mavic? This Frequency is defined by the Dipol, which are missing, AND the connecting to the Controller, which make the Antenna active. The directors could then begin to put a gain on, depends on how many you add.

I have even made an Excel calculations model, years back in time, where you can put in the Frequency you want the Antenna to work in, how long you want the Antenna (numbers of directors), material used (dimension). And then you will get an Antenna design, with size on Dipol, numbers of directors, size of reflector, and the gain in dBi, ready to print out.

And that you find the price on the Linked Antenna to be ridiculous, yes, thats your opinion. But the Antenna actually works. And then, people choose by them self, if they want spend the Money.

I use, by myself, the Parabolic system, to mount on the Controller, and they really get an extra gain, as they send the received signal back to the Controllers Antennas.
2020-7-4
Use props
Miniformer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 222920 ft
United States

ebea Posted at 7-4 08:48
Only Reflectors and Directors on Antennas, are to consider as passive in an Antenna! What makes the gain, is first of all, that you have defined a wavelength (Mhz) where you want the Antenna to work (thats the Dipol, which becomes the active part). A fully passive antenna, has no Gain at all, and is only for the Birds to sit on.

I don't know what it is you are pointing to, about "..What I found when I ran a small...", but I have never heard about that a strong signal received in one end, should reduce the transmitting power.

Hello there, we try to find out if the Yagi is really functioning. Below test comparison between Yagi and Parabolic and a combination of Yagi+Parabolic as well.  We do see some extra "gain" in the pointing direction and weakener signal on sides and back when applying Yagi on the controller antenna. The gain is not amplifying (passive device), but an invisible mirror guiding signal in a certain direction (like the parabolic - a visible mirror).  

and in the flight test, See below, we do see significant improvement on video signal linkage during return with using the Yagi attachment.
2020-7-4
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Miniformer Posted at 7-4 11:50
Hello there, we try to find out if the Yagi is really functioning. Below test comparison between Yagi and Parabolic and a combination of Yagi+Parabolic as well.  We do see some extra "gain" in the pointing direction and weakener signal on sides and back when applying Yagi on the controller antenna. The gain is not amplifying (passive device), but an invisible mirror guiding signal in a certain direction (like the parabolic - a visible mirror).  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EYUVEV5sE4&feature=youtu.be

What does the range distance test look like w/ no Yagi?
2020-7-4
Use props
Miniformer
lvl.1
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 7-4 12:01
What does the range distance test look like w/ no Yagi?

Our FCC version Mavic can reach 18000FT without Yagi, but had a bad video signal reception during the return. The screen video on left in 2nd youtube video is without the Yagi.  
We reached 21500FT with Yagi so far, we are at least seeing that Yagi enhanced the video linkage. We are short in battery capacity to do farther testing.
Sorry about the below pictures, it won't allow me to delete them...?
Omnidirectional Antenna.JPG

with Yagi

with Yagi
2020-7-4
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Passive Yagi/Uda adapters provide a considerably better range than NOT having anything at all. In my test in the countryside that translated into almost 2 Km compared with 1.2 Km with no aid. So... if one was merely making to 300 meters before it's unlikely he could go past 500, which is still a considerable gain.

Easy peasy to understand and does not require any technical knowledge at all, there's ample proof from Y/U users throughout the forums.
And by the way I am not even a supporter of Yagi/Udas since I've deemed them too selective (narrow beam) becasue they need very precise aim and they go out with a more frightening connection drop off rather than a more reassuring and less disruptive video grey-out (freeze) which is what happens with the parabolics (at least on 5.8 GHz) when running out of range.
2020-7-4
Use props
ebea
lvl.4
Denmark

Miniformer Posted at 7-4 12:11
Our FCC version Mavic can reach 18000FT without Yagi, but had a bad video signal reception during the return. The screen video on left in 2nd youtube video is without the Yagi.  
We reached 21500FT with Yagi so far, we are at least seeing that Yagi enhanced the video linkage. We are short in battery capacity to do farther testing.

I like the Cat ;-)

And which Frequency have you made the Receiver Antenna to?
2020-7-4
Use props
Miniformer
lvl.1
United States

ebea Posted at 7-4 13:36
I like the Cat ;-)

And which Frequency have you made the Receiver Antenna to?

Oh Professor Dudley say thank you! and go back to bed.

We made this microstrip Yagi 2-3 years ago for 5.8GHz FPV just for fun. The measured S11 at around 5.8-5.9GHz frequency is better than -10dB ..., but mistakenly used FR4 board (high loss), people told us that was a mistake .. but we were curious to try it anyway XD
2020-7-4
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Miniformer Posted at 7-4 12:11
Our FCC version Mavic can reach 18000FT without Yagi, but had a bad video signal reception during the return. The screen video on left in 2nd youtube video is without the Yagi.  

wow, 5.4km

I have a hard time at sometimes 110m w/ the M2P but the area has a lot of other frequencies.

I've ordered a yagi for the sake of having some penetration when doing some flight areas.  No matter what position I face and no matter what I do w/ the antennas I lose signal in some zone.  I can still control the aircraft but the feed is gone.
2020-7-4
Use props
ebea
lvl.4
Denmark

Miniformer Posted at 7-4 14:09
Oh  Professor Dudley say thank you! and go back to bed.

We made this microstrip Yagi 2-3 years ago for 5.8GHz FPV just for fun. The measured S11 at around 5.8-5.9GHz frequency is better than -10dB ..., but mistakenly used FR4 board (high loss), people told us that was a mistake .. but we were curious to try it anyway XD [view_image]

Yes, I know these. But it's difficult to get anything out of that mini test, as other info are missing in the test (what do feed the TX antenna, Frequenzy, power, etc.). And then in generally test on such a small distance, are not real representative, as too many factors can have influence on a result.
It was more interesting to see on longer distance, in open field.

But the Yagi to mount on the Mavic Controller, is what it's all about in this thread. And here, it acts more about the faith than about the facts.
If people feel it helps on THERE system, then it has fullfilled it's goal.
2020-7-5
Use props
heliaetus
lvl.4
Greece

Miniformer Posted at 7-4 11:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EYUVEV5sE4&feature=youtu.be

Nice work, thank you. I believe the design can be further improved with 2-3 yagis with common corner reflector

2020-7-5
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

clear clear
2020-7-13
Use props
PhasedSpaces
lvl.4
Flight distance : 185463 ft
United Kingdom

Out of curiosity has anyone compared the internals of the FCC & CE Mini Transmitters, to see if there are any physical differences between the components that control transmission power etc.. even a subtle difference, like resistors etc.  ?
2020-7-18
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

ebea Posted at 7-3 22:20
A Yagi Antenna for this purpose, is just a gimmick, and nothing else. A Yagi Antenna is in it's design made, to be fully directional, as it has nearly no effect, when it turns just a little bit out of direction, where it has to receive the signal from. So to believe in, that it has effect, is nonsens. If you will boost the signal, then go for the Parabolic reflectors. And yes, I'm technician, and has been working with Yagi Antennas, for many years, and know in deep, what they can, and can't.

Done any work with Helical antennas?   
2020-7-18
Use props
ebea
lvl.4
Denmark

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 7-18 08:04
Done any work with Helical antennas?

No, but have a close friend, who have experienced some years with that type of antennas, for satellite systems. I know the system, and how they work, but personally never used these.
2020-7-18
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

ebea Posted at 7-18 09:31
No, but have a close friend, who have experienced some years with that type of antennas, for satellite systems. I know the system, and how they work, but personally never used these.

Might talk to your friend about Helical / Helix antennas for use with drones.

For those willing to tolerate narrow aiming angle, to get high gain.
Napkin specs...  5.8 Ghz & 0.5 wl  & 16 turns - 19.8 db & 18.4 degree

Long ago, wrote a paper on Helical.  Remembering back, Helical could be made very directional with high gain, with multiple turns.  Issue was frequency.  To low hz, helix too large to be practical.  To high hz, helix hard to hand build.
2020-7-18
Use props
CatsFPV
lvl.1
Flight distance : 51493 ft
United States

I'm very new to the Mini, but since there are two antennas...

1. Is one for transmit and the other receive?
2. If not, couldn't you simply put a yagi on one and leave the other alone, so you'd have one directional and one omni? That's the way I do it on my FPV diversity goggles.
2020-7-18
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

CatsFPV Posted at 7-18 13:11
I'm very new to the Mini, but since there are two antennas...

1. Is one for transmit and the other receive?

Two antennas should both receive and transmit.
The antennas are meant to work as a pair, resulting primarily in a lobe for radiantion pattern.  Lobe extending perpendicular from remote - away from pilot.

Putting a Yagi on one antenna is going to result in deformed lobe.  I would not even venture to SWAG it's shape and primary direction.  Radiantion pattern would need to be measured.
2020-7-18
Use props
ebea
lvl.4
Denmark

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 7-18 12:59
Might talk to your friend about Helical / Helix antennas for use with drones.

For those willing to tolerate narrow aiming angle, to get high gain.

As you mention by yourself, helical are very narrow, and will not be useful on such a project (as Drones). That's why you often see, stacked Helix antennas, because of the narrow "window"!
2020-7-18
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
Poland

ebea Posted at 7-18 13:31
As you mention by yourself, helical are very narrow, and will not be useful on such a project (as Drones). That's why you often see, stacked Helix antennas, because of the narrow "window"!

Decreasing number of loops or decreasing distance between loops will increase degrees of radiation pattern.

Thought stacking of antennas (like a quad array) was to increase overall dB gain?  
I know people in remote areas will couple two or three long-range TV antennas together to increase gain, along with using boosters right at antennas to mitigate loss due to lead-in cable.  

Anyway, whatever works the best!
2020-7-18
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Yagi + 2.4GHz works perfectly.
2020-7-18
Use props
djiuser_XvdSoYINJNfQ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 206814 ft
United States

Wouldn't 2.4 GHZ yagis have longer than 5.8 GhZ yagis?
2020-9-10
Use props
djiuser_XvdSoYINJNfQ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 206814 ft
United States

Miniformer Posted at 6-21 12:18
It is a directional. It like a flash light, putting a reflector mirror (in this case the Yagi) in the back of light bulb. The Yagi doesn't do any amplification but guiding the EM wave in the disired direction to achieve the gain.

Thanks for posting it here! We are testing the 8 rods Yagi in rural area. We reached 19,750feet yesterday without losing the video link, and performing farther distance testing in a couple of weeks. https://youtu.be/VLGH668xIn8

Are you using 5.8 or 2.4 yagi? I would think the 2.4 yagi would give you the best range. I saw a test from two year ago using a Mavic Air using 2.4 only then 5.8 only the wifi meter drop from three bars to two with the 5.8 at 1360m and the 2.4 at 3714. Seems on this test it was the battery limiting how far the drone could fly using 2.4 only.
2020-9-10
Use props
DJI-Elias
lvl.2
Flight distance : 828409 ft
Sweden

Nice does these work on CE version?
2020-9-10
Use props
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Just posting my 2 cents on the subject of range extenders seeing as how I have both the Parabolic version and the Yagi professional rubber version on an FCC model mini...

They do work. You will get more range out of them. Do I use them anymore? No. I found the Parabolic mirror versions were quite good. I used to use them as a safety net for when my signal dropped out from my mini. If I lost video feed I could put them on and get the video back and keep flying. Because they are directional it's not something I wanted on all the time. While flying I don't want to constantly try to aim at the drone. If I am getting smooth footage I want to concentrate on that instead. With the Yagi I noticed they are extremely directional. It doesn't take much to cause them to lose signal. So it's not something you want to use all the time. If you want to do a range test that's fine. But for normal day to day flying you won't really want these on. I have only used them twice since buying them.
2020-9-10
Use props
amir_KING
Second Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

DJI-Elias Posted at 9-10 12:32
Nice does these work on CE version?

If it is a 2.4ghz yagi, yes
2020-9-22
Use props
djiuser_jGqNMOmMp8zp
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2498917 ft

United States

https://youtu.be/QoJQHUImCa8
...this is my 10 thousand+ ft range with Yagi 5.8
2020-10-16
Use props
Donut
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

ebea Posted at 7-3 22:21
A Yagi Antenna for this purpose, is just a gimmick, and nothing else. A Yagi Antenna is in it's design made, to be fully directional, as it has nearly no effect, when it turns just a little bit out of direction, where it has to receive the signal from. So to believe in, that it has effect, is nonsens. If you will boost the signal, then go for the Parabolic reflectors. And yes, I'm technician, and has been working with Yagi Antennas, for many years, and know in deep, what they can, and can't.

Now that’s absolutely funny.
Then you are saying that the reflective tentacles on a common antenna don’t work , that’s funny.
If a signal bounces of multiple metal item and reflects the signal to the antenna it will increase the reception and also do the opposite for a transmitted signal.
Also a parabolic will also help . They work by the same theory as a satellite dish. Take the dish away and see how your satellite signal works on your TV.
I have worked with Radio’s and antennas all my life.
I was an electronics technician. I also was in Como in the military with two different MOS’s in radio repair.
I also ran the main relay radio antenna station on top of a mountain in Germany for the military Yearly Reforge training.
In conclusion yes they do work. They do not actually increase signal but gives the transmitter and receiver  a more and better pattern by the reflection’s of the signal.
So make sure your antennas are in the directions of your drone. Don’t turn and talk to someone.
In conclusion yes they do help. But don’t get over Confident in them.
Doug
2020-10-16
Use props
ebea
lvl.4
Denmark

Donut Posted at 10-16 23:14
Now that’s absolutely funny.
Then you are saying that the reflective tentacles on a common antenna don’t work , that’s funny.
If a signal bounces of multiple metal item and reflects the signal to the antenna it will increase the reception and also do the opposite for a transmitted signal.

Congratulations, with all your skills you have collected throught the years! But I can't see it reflect in the answer you give here! Something must have been lost, throught the years, and up to now.
2020-10-18
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Yagis do work.  I've tried flying w/o them in heavy Urban and the signal cuts out way sooner.
2020-10-18
Use props
nikemax2007
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2263760 ft
Ukraine

I've just tested Yagi 2.4MHz with new DJI Mini 2 with OcuSync 2.0: +10% to signal's stability and distance range
2020-12-16
Use props
BattlinBob
lvl.2
United States

Man I wish I had my drone. You see.... I had two dji mini 2's... The last I heard both were going to DJI for repair and I paid for overnight shipping both ways. A comedy of errors between dji and the carriers. Anyways thanks for asking about my henious expereince with DJI as their customer care could careless. Long story short I researched yagi attenas and evidently its a industry neutral antenna in its technology. That is to say the yagi antennas are also deployed for cell service boosting and traidtional radio waves and not limited to the DJI line. Reason for this insanely long introduction is I wonder if we could attach a yagi stand along attenna thats more permanent via a copper wire to the dji controller. I always use my drone out on my sons room window roof. Very optimal location for most of what I want. Just want to go a little bit farther... wish I was a baller, real shot caller.. whats your thought
2021-1-6
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I can never fly w/o these boosters.  I get a signal cut for w/e reason w/o but with them, it never cuts out.
2021-1-6
Use props
jwp721
lvl.3
Flight distance : 332822 ft
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 2020-6-21 18:49
Those with a Yagi, have you tried turning around facing away from the drone to see if the signal is lost?

You didn’t grow up with an antenna on top of your tv did you?    Yes you will lose signal.....
2021-1-6
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

jwp721 Posted at 1-6 08:32
You didn’t grow up with an antenna on top of your tv did you?    Yes you will lose signal.....

Only at the very edge.  It still works fine if I'm not directly facing it.  I think no different than if I have no Yagis.  In fact, I lose signal like crazy even directly facing it w/ no Yagis not too too far out, like 100m or less in suburban.
2021-1-6
Use props
djiuser_jGqNMOmMp8zp
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2498917 ft

United States

4.9km with the silicone 5.8ghz 5 bar Yagis...just over 2.5km without them.
They most certainly work.
10 dollar simple modification.
2021-3-18
Use props
mark117h
lvl.4
Flight distance : 241306 ft
United Kingdom

Quite an interesting video by Drone Valley explaining the engineering behind the Yagi-Uda's and the Parabolic's, what i gained from the video is that the Yagi's and the Parabolic's do indeed help to shape the signal, it's a really interesting video.
2021-3-18
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules